2003 Silverado engine - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 10, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: california
Posts: 324
2003 Silverado engine

Hey guys,
I ran into this engine, its a 2003 silverado 5.3 engine with 80k miles for a good deal with all the acces. and computer and harness.
Question-is this the lq4
what can i expect from it as far as making hp and tq. with cam, headers and intake.
what do i need to make it work for my 69, oil pan, engine mounts, headers
is it worth the hassle or should i look for ls1.
its not about real crazy horse power for me, i want something reliable and street friendly for now.

1969 SS camaro,emerald green with white hockey stripe.383 stroker with weiand supercharger.12 bolt 373 gears. 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sako is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 04:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL
 
SPARKY69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: HENDERSONVILLE N.C.
Posts: 9,352
Re: 2003 silverado engine

arent they about 285-315hp ?

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPARKY69 is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Milford MI
Posts: 220
Re: 2003 silverado engine

you will be down about 5% from a comp. LS1. The 5.3 are a great engine that responds well to mods. Its not too hard to make 450 NA out of one. But as for actual numbers you will see it depends on the heads, cam, exhaust.. ect that you choose. just think of it as an iron block ls1 with a slightly smaller bore (they share the same crank). I will probibly be putting a 5.3 in mt 77 formula as soon as I finish my LS1 in my 67 (should be done in a week or two.) Hope this helps!

Bottom line the 5.3 will do what your looking for. You may need to swap to an F car acc drive and intake...factor that in to the cost of the swap. I have an excel sheet with all my swap parts that I needed when I did my 67. PM me your email if intrested. I also have the swap thread in the fuel injection forumHERE

67 Camaro LS1+ tvs2300/4L70E 530 RWHP
64 Corvette Coupe 350/ TKO600
66 Mustang (289/C4)
c6matt is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 09:40 AM
Senior Tech
jim
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: iowa
Posts: 117
Garage
Re: 2003 silverado engine

I could be wrong but isnt the lq4 a 6L
68cvb is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 09:55 AM
Senior Tech
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Milford MI
Posts: 220
Re: 2003 silverado engine

Oh, the engine should be a lm7...

67 Camaro LS1+ tvs2300/4L70E 530 RWHP
64 Corvette Coupe 350/ TKO600
66 Mustang (289/C4)
c6matt is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: california
Posts: 324
Re: 2003 silverado engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68cvb View Post
I could be wrong but isnt the lq4 a 6L
that helps Matt, thanks alot.

Jim---that was my bad. The lq4 is the 6.0 aluminum block if im not mistaking.
I think the 5.3 is the LM7.

1969 SS camaro,emerald green with white hockey stripe.383 stroker with weiand supercharger.12 bolt 373 gears. 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sako is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: california
Posts: 324
Re: 2003 Silverado engine

is the LM7 worth the $700 with everything except the tranny?

1969 SS camaro,emerald green with white hockey stripe.383 stroker with weiand supercharger.12 bolt 373 gears. 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sako is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Milford MI
Posts: 220
Re: 2003 Silverado engine

its not a screaming deal, but if its all in good shape 700 is reasonable. if I were in the market I would pick it up.

67 Camaro LS1+ tvs2300/4L70E 530 RWHP
64 Corvette Coupe 350/ TKO600
66 Mustang (289/C4)
c6matt is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: california
Posts: 324
Re: 2003 Silverado engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6matt View Post
its not a screaming deal, but if its all in good shape 700 is reasonable. if I were in the market I would pick it up.
Can you please send your build sheet to [email protected]
Thanks again.

1969 SS camaro,emerald green with white hockey stripe.383 stroker with weiand supercharger.12 bolt 373 gears. 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sako is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 04:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike
 
prostreet69camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Spring Texas
Posts: 5,580
Re: 2003 Silverado engine

The LQ-4 is the 6.0L. It is a iron block with aluminum heads. I just changed the one in 2002 Suburban.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
prostreet69camaro is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 04:43 PM
Senior Tech
Rich
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 1,463
Re: 2003 Silverado engine

I look at the 5.3 as the poor mans 6.0.It actually makes good power.I had one in my 1500 GMC that was strong.You can do all the stuff to it that you can do to an LS1 or LQ4.If you took the bone stock engine,added headers and a free flowing exhaust,a cold air kit and reflashed the computer it would probably make close to 400 hp.Supposedly the truck intake makes good power but limits the options for accessory mounting in a passenger car.Adding a cam and cam kit to get it out of the truck tune up would really wake it up.If you want to go with a carb,it is a super simple swap the Edelbrock intake kit comes with an ignition controller that simply plugs into the factory coil wiring and harness and crank sensor and hooks to power.It is actually simpler then instaling a distributor.Using a carb would allow you to run a shorter duration cam but with shorter lobe seperation angle which woud really put some needed mid range punch in the combination,as well as an old school lope.The computer wouldnt tolerate the short cam centerline like the carb does.

There are plenty of swap headers and oil pans for your car,it should be a bolt in job.If you are running an old school automatic,you will only be able to use 5 of the 6 bellhousing bolts,and the convertor may need a spacer to fit with the slightly different LS series crankshaft length. Good luck.
RichSchmidt is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: california
Posts: 324
Re: 2003 Silverado engine

Thanks Rich.
Good info guys, keep it going.

1969 SS camaro,emerald green with white hockey stripe.383 stroker with weiand supercharger.12 bolt 373 gears. 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sako is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 10, 06:01 AM
Senior Tech
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Milford MI
Posts: 220
Re: 2003 Silverado engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSchmidt View Post
If you took the bone stock engine,added headers and a free flowing exhaust,a cold air kit and reflashed the computer it would probably make close to 400 hp..
thats pretty optimistic, but all are good mods to have, and after a swap a flash is a must to eliminate theft (VATS). And any time that you modify the way air is presented to the MAF (any non-stock cold air kit/filter) you need to adjust your maf transfer coefficients otherwise the car will not be accurate in how much air the sensor is seeing. it would run otherwise, but not as good as it could, and after all thats why we went to fuel injecto isnt it? Anthing after the maf (ie FAST intake or the like) doesn't matter, as far as tuning is concerned
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSchmidt View Post
Supposedly the truck intake makes good power but limits the options for accessory mounting in a passenger car..
The larger voulume is better than a ls1 intake for HP, but its use is constrained due to the reason listed, plus hood clearance in some applications
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSchmidt View Post
Adding a cam and cam kit to get it out of the truck tune up would really wake it up.
this WILL get you to 400 (with above mods) but the "truck tune" is really no diffrent that a "car tune" the engines are controlled to an A/F ratio and spark limit, with knock sensors and have short tem and long term trim "learning" offsets, just an FYI
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSchmidt View Post
If you want to go with a carb,it is a super simple swap the Edelbrock intake kit comes with an ignition controller that simply plugs into the factory coil wiring and harness and crank sensor and hooks to power.It is actually simpler then instaling a distributor.Using a carb would allow you to run a shorter duration cam but with shorter lobe seperation angle which woud really put some needed mid range punch in the combination,as well as an old school lope.The computer wouldnt tolerate the short cam centerline like the carb does.
Now the intake reversion can be nasty to tune, and a lot of tuners just cant seem to get it right, but a properly tuned injected engine will make more hp and tq all day long over a carb with ANY cam. Its a shortcoming of the tune not the system. Carbs hide many sins because they just run "fat" (rich) all the time
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSchmidt View Post
There are plenty of swap headers and oil pans for your car,it should be a bolt in job.If you are running an old school automatic,you will only be able to use 5 of the 6 bellhousing bolts,and the convertor may need a spacer to fit with the slightly different LS series crankshaft length. Good luck.
all good information, GMPP sells the spacer you WILL need if you run an old skool trans

67 Camaro LS1+ tvs2300/4L70E 530 RWHP
64 Corvette Coupe 350/ TKO600
66 Mustang (289/C4)
c6matt is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 10, 06:34 AM
Senior Tech
Rich
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 1,463
Re: 2003 Silverado engine

Yeah Matt,my truck tune I was just meaning the mild truck cam timing.As for the carb swap,you are right,that the injection could make as much power as the carb,but a carb is like LS for dummies.You get all the advantages of the good flowing heads and strong bottom end,roller cam ect,and you can install it in anything with wheels and make it run in under and hour.I myself would be inclinded to use injection and a milder cam on a true daily driver since my daily drivers get driven in sub freezing temps all winter,but for a very high power engine with a 7000+rpm cam I would definatly go carb.

As for the power,you are right again,I said close to 400 meaning not over 400,maybe 375 on a good day.When you think about it,such an engine could hustle a 3400# car down the 1/4 mile as fast or faster then a solid lifter 11:1 375/396 or LT1,run on 87 octane,have no maintenace issues,no lope,and get 25 mpg and save weight over the front wheels,it is very impressive.I myself would go with a cam swap as part of any LS truck engine swap/build since it really helps to take advantage of the heads,but you dont really need to if you want a fun car to drive.

Overall,I am very impressed by the LS family of engines.I havent started building them yet,but plan to in the neear future.I am a very low tech bucks down kind of hot rodder,but these are the first injected engines that really impress me,they are cheap,abundant,last a very long time{100K+ truck engines often dont need to be rebuilt before being souped up) and are the first factory injected engines I feel were worth the hassle of using with the factory injection.TPI's and LT1's werent any faster then a regular small block so it was hard to justify all the hassle of the injection just to create more headaches for the sake of building a mild mannered 300hp engine.An LS with mild manners could go over 500p with the factory injection,now theres something worth the aggrivation.

Last edited by RichSchmidt; Apr 1st, 10 at 06:45 AM.
RichSchmidt is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 10, 06:48 AM
Senior Tech
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Milford MI
Posts: 220
Re: 2003 Silverado engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSchmidt View Post
Yeah Matt,my truck tune I was just meaning the mild truck cam timing.As for the carb swap,you are right,that the injection could make as much power as the carb,but a carb is like LS for dummies.You get all the advantages of the good flowing heads and strong bottom end,roller cam ect,and you can install it in anything with wheels and make it run in under and hour.I myself would be inclinded to use injection and a milder cam on a true daily driver since my daily drivers get driven in sub freezing temps all winter,but for a very high power engine with a 7000+rpm cam I would definatly go carb.

As for the power,you are right again,I said close to 400 meaning not over 400,maybe 375 on a good day.When you think about it,such an engine could hustle a 3400# car down the 1/4 mile as fast or faster then a solid lifter 11:1 375/396 or LT1,run on 87 octane,have no maintenace issues,no lope,and get 25 mpg and save weight over the front wheels,it is very impressive.I myself would go with a cam swap as part of any LS truck engine swap/build since it really helps to take advantage of the heads,but you dont really need to if you want a fun car to drive.

Overall,I am very impressed by the LS family of engines.I havent started building them yet,but plan to in the neear future.I am a very low tech bucks down kind of hot rodder,but these are the first injected engines that really impress me,they are cheap,abundant,last a very long time{100K+ truck engines often dont need to be rebuilt before being souped up) and are the first factory injected engines I feel were worth the hassle of using with the factory injection.TPI's and LT1's werent any faster then a regular small block so it was hard to justify all the hassle of the injection just to create more headaches for the sake of building a mild mannered 300hp engine.An LS with mild manners could go over 500p with the factory injection,now theres something worth the aggrivation.
And I agree, I wasn't tryin to attack, just putting more info out there. But your on the right track for an LS build!

67 Camaro LS1+ tvs2300/4L70E 530 RWHP
64 Corvette Coupe 350/ TKO600
66 Mustang (289/C4)
c6matt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome