Rochester Q-Jet Questions - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Jr

Rochester Q-Jet Questions

Hey Guys, I have a couple of questions regarding the Rochester Q-Jet carb. I currently have a 327/210 on my 68 std Camaro. I'm working on putting new heads, intake, cam, and carb, (maybe some headers). But I do plan on keeping the 327 in it and would mainly be street driven with little to no strip use.
My first question is how can identify or know what Rochester Q-Jet would go with the engine? Is there a certain Q-Jet id # to look for? From what I've read in some threads some q-jets would fit better than others. I.e: earlier models from later models.
My second question is given that I live in California, is there any emissions laws that will require for me to use a certain q-jet? I may be mistaken, but I've read that there are certain q-jets that clear CA emissions and there are other that clear the other 49 states, is this correct?
Thanks in advance for your help, info, and suggestions on this as I'm still in the learning process with my project.

~Jr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 03:31 PM
Joaquin Lopez

Send a message via AIM to Joaquin92
Re: Rochester Q-Jet Questions

well bro i live in CA and they can't apply any smog rule towards your camaro, because it is CA smog exempt, because of the year it was built
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin92 View Post
well bro i live in CA and they can't apply any smog rule towards your camaro, because it is CA smog exempt, because of the year it was built
Thanks for clarifying this. I guess my question was asked because of the information I read from the net. For example one of the websites posted this for the Q-Jet referring to the id#:
"The emissions code. 2 is for 49-state emissions, 5 is for California & high altitude."

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 10, 03:38 AM
Senior Tech

With a Q-jet look for one that gives you the choke you want, electric or hot air. Early ones have hot air. Later ones are more adjustable from the outside but are electric choke.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 10, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue ss View Post
With a Q-jet look for one that gives you the choke you want, electric or hot air. Early ones have hot air. Later ones are more adjustable from the outside but are electric choke.
Thanks for the info. I recently came across this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330421734699&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Would this work well or should I look for a later model? Or, which would you recommend, one with an electric choke or one with hot air?

Thanks again.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 10, 03:21 PM
Senior Tech

Looks good if you have the hot air manifold ( you probably do) Keep in mine they all need to be set up for your engine. The out of the box settings are just a close place to start. I went to a shop that had a 4 gas analyzer. ( a buddy , He let me play a little) So se your idle speed and head over to a place like that. It should save you lots of guessing at things. Some guys install o2 sensors in just to know what the mixture is at the times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode