Build me a 383 stroker - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako

Build me a 383 stroker

Its that time. I have to rebuild my engine. A couple of months ago, driving home from work my engine started making a ratelling noise. I pulled over and had it towed home. That morning i noticed the oil pressure was bouncing all over the place, mostly on the low side. After taking the engine apart, i know that had a lot to do with the moter making crazy noises. The main bearings and rod bearings are shot.
After looking at the part in the engine (mostly GM cast) the person who built this engine was on a budget as well.
Im on a crazy budget and would like to use what i can from what i have, specially the 4 speed m21, supercharger, carb, distributer and all the little things which are replaceable after the car is on the road.
I want the car to be street friendly with 450-500 hp. it will see little track time.
Here is what i have:
1978 4 bolt 350 block, 2 piece main seal. Bored 4.030. cast #v0408tzw c8z175294.
cam: 136 gm.......? cant find any info on this.
Crank: GM 3932442........info i got shows its from a 350. supposed to be a 383 or 400 crank right?
Pistons: has #3 on it with .030 stamped on top.
Rods: I beam. looks cast. 5.75 or 6?
Pushrods: 4012 stamped on it...........?
Heads: Heads are trash. 462624 76-87 1.94/1.50 & 2.02/1.60 valves
HP - Not listed
76 CC Chambers ---https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=162898
Carb: holley 750 supercharger carb with manual choke.
Supercharger: 142 waiend roots style with Waiend intake.
Tranny: 4 speed M21
Rear end: 12 bolt 3.73 gears.
I will post some pics soon.
Can you guys help me out and rebuild a nice supercharged engine(9 to 1 or lower compression) thats nice on the street but can haul a$$.
What stroker kit (forged) would be strong enough for a blown engine but not brake the bank. I do not want to go over 3K.
Keep in mind, the little blower only pulls about 5-6 boost.

1969 SS camaro,emerald green with white hockey stripe.383 stroker with weiand supercharger.12 bolt 373 gears. 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako

Re: Build me a 383 stroker

Here are some pics.

0old/_DSC2534.jpg[/IMG]

1969 SS camaro,emerald green with white hockey stripe.383 stroker with weiand supercharger.12 bolt 373 gears. 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 05:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Where at in Ca are you... Are you looking for a shop to build that motor or are you doing it all.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter55 View Post
Where at in Ca are you... Are you looking for a shop to build that motor or are you doing it all.
Im in Chino Ca. I am looking for a machine shop to do the short block. This is my first engine build and i dont want to pay twice to have it built right.
I would like to get some 383 stroker combos that would be ideal for my supercharger. I like the look of my car, and do not want to replace hood, intake and carb. Thats the reason why i want to hold on to the SC.
I heard good thing about the guys at Speed o Motive in west covina. Here is a 383 they built with the same SC. pushing out 650Hp. http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...ger/index.html

I do not want anything to crazy like that. My block is rated at 475 max.
I might visit them this weekend to see what their prices is like.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 06:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

PM sent...

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 07:33 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Your block isn't the limiting factory, many put way over 600hp on stock blocks.
The 010 blocks are probably some of the most widely used blocks of the older versions, I know several people putting at least 550 through them no problems.

How much boost do you want to run?
I would suggest 8-10lbs good forged pistons, good forged rods, decent crank, good arp bolts all around to begin with.
Look into a set of dart, brodix, afr, or canfield heads.

Your crank is indeed a 3.48" crank making the total cubes to be 355" not 383".
I'd look into scat and NOT eagle for rotating assemblies, they are about the same price, but one is far superior in my opinion.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 07:54 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I'm with John on this one. It looks like what you got there is a pretty much an almost stock rebuild 355 truck engine that someone popped a supercharger on. The block is a good one to build a 383 on though. 450hp shouldn't be hard to make on a roots blown 355 but since you need a new crank you might as well take it on up to a 383.

Your car looks really clean. It's a shame it appears they chose to skimp on the engine build. At least on mine they skimped on everything. However if I had've had a choice I would've chosen to have the car be nice like it appears yours is.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; Apr 7th, 10 at 08:58 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 07:59 PM
Senior Tech
Lane

In So Cal you might want to give these guys a call. They have a lot of experience building motors with blowers.http://www.bncustomrods.com.
I'm really happy with the motor they built me.
Lane

Lane

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 08:51 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Just curious, but is Tom Nelson located in Cali?
If so, I'd be giving him a call, most of his stuff is exotic and $$$ but I've seen some people get pretty much stock rebuilds from him as well.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 10, 04:49 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I'd probably swap the rods, there are plenty of budget aftermarket rods that'll work better than the powder metal pieces you have now.
Any chance your main caps are marked "2482"? If so, those are nodular and will help toughen the bottom end.
Good luck!!!

Gary Adrian
FCS Harmony Racing

Momma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun.
"But momma, that's where the fun is!"
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 10, 06:16 AM
Senior Tech
Rich

My choice would be a forged flat top piston in either a Scat 9000 cast crank or a regrind on your existing crank.I have run 2 bolt main stock rod stock GMcast crank roots blown engineto over 600 hp and 7200rpm,but in your case we can do a little better.The powered metal rods are fine.It looks like your bearing damage was caused by contamination in the oil.I am thinking excessive water or anti freeze got in there at one time and while you may have never experianced the problem,the damage was done.With a somewhat small roots blower,I would run 9:1 with 5 or 6 psi of boost rather then 8 to 10 psi with the 7.8:1 compression you have now.To make the higher level of boost would make the intake charge hotter which would cause more detonation issues then having less boost with higher compression.You can easily make 550 hp at under 6000 rpm with 5 psi of boost and a 355.

One thing to think about is cylinder head flow and intake valve lift.It is easy to make 8 or 10 psi of boost when you have poor flowing heads and a low lift cam.You are basically compressing a small amount of air into very high pressure,making a ton of heat but never getting it into the cylinders.A roots blower makes enough pressure at idle to overcome more camshaft timing{later intake closing} then a normally asperated engine.I would select a cam with an intake closing of at lest 60 degrees ABDC timing and a 112 seperation angle and try to get the lift up over .550".run slightly larger heads then you would with a similar rpm normally asperated combo.I would run something in the 215 cc range port and port your intake to match.That combo with 5 psi of boost will idle fairly mild,make a ton of low rpm torque,and easily exceed the 525 hp mark.

The wild thing is that even with a 355,you might be making only 5 psi of boost with the same pulley setup that gave you 8 psi or more with the old setup.Thats because unlike the old setup,the air is actually flowing into the enginine now,not just backing up in the intake and giving off heat.The 5 psi setup with the good flowing heads will make triple digit more power then the old setup,tolerate more timing,run cooler and give better overall driveablity then the old combo.Another thing is the carb.On the big power combos I have run a dominator on the 144 blower.In your case I would run nothing smaller then an 850.Anything you can do to get that air thru the blower as easily as possible will help you mover more air with less heat.Unlike putting all these big parts on a normall asperated engine,you wont have a shortage of low end torque with the blower in place.

Like I said,I have made 600hp with 355 2 bolt cast crank 9:1 engines with 144 Roots blowers,but its all in the combination.

Good luck.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 10, 07:46 AM
Tech Team
Alex

I would use these parts with what you have:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RHS-12319-01/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ESP-35130060/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K12-415-8/

add a nice set of rocker arms and a decent oiling system and you're good to go.

'69 Z28: X33 / 02B / non-matching 302 / Dart 200cc pro 1 platinum heads / Crower solid roller / matching M21 / matching BU axle / 4:11 ring and pinion
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 10, 11:57 AM
Senior Tech
Elias

Sako, thank you for yours pics, top qualtity !

Elias

There is no replacement for displacement.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 10, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
I'd probably swap the rods, there are plenty of budget aftermarket rods that'll work better than the powder metal pieces you have now.
Any chance your main caps are marked "2482"? If so, those are nodular and will help toughen the bottom end.
Good luck!!!
Main caps are 3412........?
Should they be replaced with aftermarket ones?
Thanks for all the help guys, keep it going.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode