Ticking noise- help please! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Zac

Exclamation Ticking noise- help please!

i have a chevy 327 in a 75 camaro and the other day the belt that goes across the alternator came off while driving and i had to drive it for about a mile until i could pull over and look at it, i had someone bring me to get a new one and i put it on, then later when i got in my car to drive home i noticed the temperature spike up and it started to get really hot, i pulled over almost immediately and checked it out, the antifreeze was pretty much gone, so i filled it up with bottled water that i had in my trunk and that helped so i drove all the way home because the temp remained at a normal level, but now there seems to be this weird ticking noise coming from somewhere and im not sure what it could be. it gets louder when i accelerate and if i hold the gas down a little u here the ticking get louder...it wasn't like that before the whole belt incident so i have no idea what it could be! any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 05:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage
Re: ticking noise- help please!

Was the temp spiked when you pulled over? How hot was it? A mile shouldn't have done anything unless you were in traffic. It could just be the new belt.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Zac

the temp was at around 210-240 and i wasn't in any traffic and was going like 30-40 mph...i didn't know if it could be the new belt or not so it made me worried, haha i just had the engine rebuilt last year so it made me paranoid

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 09:09 PM
Jeff

Does that belt also run the water pump? If so, is it possible the pump was going out and started to seize and threw a belt that may have been worn, and a little loose. After you replaced the belt and tightened it up, maybe it had enough strength to turn the water pump impeller though it may not actually be flowing enough coolant to keep the engine cool, and also making a noise at the same time. If that is the case, remove the belt and run the engine and see if you still have the noise. It shouldn't get too hot in that short of time.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 10, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Zac

yeah i believe it does run the water pump as well, but it seems like the noise is coming from somewhere around the heads, which worries me...and it gets louder when i give it a little gas. i'll take the belt off later today after i get out of classes and run the engine to see if the noise is still there so i'll let you know.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 10, 02:18 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
belt that goes across the alternator came off while driving and i had to drive it for about a mile until i could pull over and look at it,
Drive a mile without the belt and your engine will over heat....about 1/4 of a mile maybe less is the limit
Been there done that

Quote:
then later when i got in my car to drive home i noticed the temperature spike up and it started to get really hot,
This tells me your engine did get real hot and spued the water out of the overflow, till by the time you stopped there was not enough to spue out anymore, so did not notice it.

Quote:
so i filled it up with bottled water that i had in my trunk and that helped so i drove all the way home because the temp remained at a normal level
This confirms the above

Quote:
but now there seems to be this weird ticking noise coming from somewhere and im not sure what it could be.
When an engine over heats like that, the chances are you will blow a head gasket, warp a head...which may not show up for a few 100/1000 miles with running hot and/or loosing water...AND/OR collapse a pistion.

Check your spark plugs..is there 1 or 2 that look very clean? water leaking into the pot will do that
Get the radiator checked for any HC....the local workshop will be able to test in a couple minutes by drawing the radiator gas thru a soln which changes colour.

Use a mechanics stethospke (they are cheap) or a large screw driver with a hard solid handle, use as a stethoscope....to locate the tick
If up on a host and the tick sounds a little loader and using the stethoscope on the side of the block, you sort of locate the tick, it will be a cracked or collapsed pistin.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 10, 06:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
Re: Ticking noise- help please!

exhaust leak...

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode