Mitchell’s Mechanical Labor Estimating Question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 10, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Nichael

Mitchell’s Mechanical Labor Estimating Question

Forgive me if this is in the wrong section >newbie<

I recently bought a 99 Camaro from a local dealership, well long story short week later the motor gives out (3.4 v6), and i believe i'm getting gipped by the warranty company and the dealership and the mechanics shop on this one. They keep throwing this Mitchell’s Mechanical Labor Estimating Guide Time at me. Any of you guys know what the Time would be to take out /tear down/ and replace a rod bearing and or rod in a 99 Camaro?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 10, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Mitchell’s Mechanical Labor Estimating Question

Flat rate manual has been pretty much the Bible for time per job.
It has been my experience dealers go by the manual.
Labor rates are dependent upon dealer.

There are independents here may give more insight to your situation.
welcome to the club.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 10, 10:39 AM
Bill

Michael,
Not sure what difference it makes if it is covered under warranty. Only thing is some of the warranty companies will not pay a shop thier normal full labor rate So a lot of shops dont even mess with warranty repairs.

Like Everett said, just about everyone in the industry bills according to one of the flat rate guides such as Mitchell, Alldata etc. It makes no difference as to how long the job actually takes to do.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 10, 11:22 AM
Senior Tech
Hans

I actually work for Mitchell (the collision side) though not Mitchell1, which is owned by Snap-On, which publishes mechanical labor times.

There is a big difference between flat rate guides and Mitchell's times. Flat rate times do not take overlap into consideration. Overlap occurs if you need to remove one component that is behind the component you are getting at. This can create a double count of labor if the estimator does not manually deduct it (convenient not to) while Mitchell’s tools automatically deduct overlap from the repair times.

Furthermore, Mitchell's times are based on observation of the actual times it takes to perform the work by the shops while flat rate times are often based on warranty times. Warranty times are often negotiated times between dealers and the OE's and may not be reflective of the actual labor times to perform the work. (I did a Finance internship at GM in their warranty department, so I am familiar with how those are set as well).

Anyway, for better accuracy, I'd go with the Mitchell times over flat rate times if possible.

Hans

'69 RS Z28 Cortez Silver, Original Driveline, M22, 73K, Van Nuys Built, Chassis Broadcast Copy
'69 Chevelle SS396 4SP, Fathom Green, Original Engine
'06 GTO Brazen Orange, M6, 400HP LS2

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 10, 06:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoz28 View Post
There is a big difference between flat rate guides and Mitchell's times.Hans
As far as I know Mitchell's is a "flat rate" guide. All the shops I worked for up to the 90's had them, don't think I ever saw another brand.

Jeff
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 10, 08:58 PM
kt
Senior Tech
kelly

its either mitchells or chilton time, its been that way for the 25 years i have been a tech, weather its at the gm dealer i am at now or the inddy freinds that i have, they all use it. how else would a job be estimated if it wasnt for a book that we could use as a guide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode