Fuel Tank Removal Q - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 10, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
frank

Fuel Tank Removal Q

I am in the process of removing my fuel tank on 1967 rs/ss camaro. I have had fuel in there for 10 years. About 3/4 full. I have disassembled fuel tank upper neck and sleeve and am a little confused with what is left other than the 2 straps. There must be a ground wire. Wiring and where to disconnect the fuel line is where the confusion lies. Locations or pics would be nice.

Thanks Guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 10, 05:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Re: Fuel Tank Removal Q

The fuel line hose is usually between the frame and side of the tank on the passenger side. There is probably only a 4 inch piece of tubing to disconnect there.

The wires are on top of the tank on the sending unit and after you lower the tank you can disconnect these. You may check and see if you have a ground screwed into the underside body just forward of the tank.

Oh you might want to drain, siphon some of that gas out before you lower it on your jack?

67 RSSS Van Nuys, 4th week Sept,1966
ps,tilt,headrest,spd warn,pw,am/fm,delux int,
remote mirror,rear defrost,tint glass.etc...
TKO 600 Extreme,12bolt 3:73 gears.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 10, 06:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

The ground wire on my tank is screwed to the pass. side bracket in front of the tank that the strap attaches to. When you drop the tank you will have to pull the sending wire off the top where the sender is. It is a push-on type connector.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 10, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
frank

Thanks guys!! That is great help. I have avoided this job for long enough I guess. I just don't want to pump old fuel into fresh new motor. Will I need to get the tank shampood before putting new fuel in?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 10, 07:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

I think there is some confusion about where the sending unit is unplugged. The plug for the sending unit is in the trunk. I think they say the color of the wire is tan but it looks like brown to me. You unplug the sending unit right under the tank fell pipe in the trunk. There is a grommet in the same location as the plug under the fell pipe that you can also see from the outside through the hole behind the license plate. Push the grommet out along with the plug on the end of the sending unit wire. The sending unit wire is taped to the top of the tank in two places. The sending unit wire should come down with the tank. If you drop the tank without disconnecting it in the truck you may run the risk of damaging the wire connection on the sending unit.
Get as much of that gas out of the tank before taking it down. The tank would be hard to handle with that gas sloshing around.
The ground wire is screwed to the right trunk floor support in front of the tank.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 10, 07:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Talking Re: Fuel Tank Removal Q

My preference is herbal Essence but use what ever you want! Once the tank is out you can have a look inside and see what its condition is and if need be pressure wash it.

67 RSSS Van Nuys, 4th week Sept,1966
ps,tilt,headrest,spd warn,pw,am/fm,delux int,
remote mirror,rear defrost,tint glass.etc...
TKO 600 Extreme,12bolt 3:73 gears.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 10, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Radiator shops can cook the tank.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 10, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
frank

Thanks for all the great input. I went and had a second and third look and did find a brownish, yellow wire that looks like runs over tank to sending unit. I will exercise extreme caution during removal of tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode