Crack in Aluminum Intake on '69 Z/28 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 10, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rod

Crack in Aluminum Intake on '69 Z/28

I went out and started my '69 Z today, and noticed a small crack in the aluminum intake. It runs vertical up towards the carb from right above the thermostat. This may be a dumb question, but is it dangerous to drive the car with a crack in the intake? What kind of damage might I do to it? How is the best way to go about fixing it? It is the original to my car, so I sure don't want to mess it up. Need help, thanks.

'69 Z/28 HUGGER ORANGE MATCHING NUMBERS-SOLD
'69 CHEVELLE SS 396 MATCHING NUMBERS ALL DOCUMENTATION
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 10, 01:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: Crack in Aluminum Intake on '69 Z/28

Rod, use that Gold Membership. Pictures!

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 10, 04:26 PM
Senior Tech
Jess

You can have it tig welded...

Jess67
67 Camaro Blue 427, 4-speed, 12 bolt

67 Camaro 350, 200-4R, PS, AC, PB, IN PARTS

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 10, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech
Al

If the crack goes into water it could cause quite a mess, esp if the crack goes to the bottom side of the intake where you can't see it. (water into the engine) I'd have it repaired. These guys can repair it and make it look like new - no idea on the cost.

http://www.z28camaro.com/restosvcs.html#AIM

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 10, 10:16 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

A good engineering shop will grind a V out, if possible from the inside, put it in an oven, heat it up, then tig fill the V in with the correct alloy.
If they have to do it from the outside then you will see the tig join....this can be 'hidden' with with playing around with very coarse grit sand blaster and pressures to duplicate the casting sand pattern.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rod

Thanks for the help guys. I was already thinking about getting Jerry to fix it, now I think I will. Does anybody know what it might cost and an estimate about turn around time for him? I know that is a hard question, but anybody who might have had this done I would be interested to know how it went. Thanks again.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 02:19 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Why ask us...go to the horses mouth for the correct answer.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 03:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Picts would be great. I can't understand a crack in an intake from therostat, "down across then up to the carb. If something like that happened, heads are milled, intake wasen't. There is something is really wrong. Pictures would be great!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by john68 View Post
Picts would be great. I can't understand a crack in an intake from therostat, "down across then up to the carb. If something like that happened, heads are milled, intake wasen't. There is something is really wrong. Pictures would be great!!!
Not sure what you mean when you say "down across then up", that is not what I was trying to say, the crack goes from base of carb down the front of the intake to almost where the thermostat is (top radiator hose), I don't have any pics as of yet to post. It shouldn't have anything to do with the heads being milled or the intake I don't believe. Looks to be just a stress crack, not sure if it goes all the way thru the intake. I apologize if my description was confusing. Sounds like it should be a pretty easy fix for someone like Jerry MacNeish. I tried to contact shop but didn't get an answer, will try later. Just thought someone on here might have had some repair work done and could give me a ballpark figure about how much and how long it would take. Thanks for the help thus far.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 03:10 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Head out to the local airport...there will be an engineering shop that uses the services of a skilled welder craftman....

I had a crack in a trans case...cost me 20 bucks and a bottle of Chivas...the Chivas I thru in as appreciation.

The guy was busy, so told me to go over into a cnr of the workshop, gave me a dremel, told me what to do...all he did from there was tig up....no he wasnt going to let me use his tig..I did ask thu lol

Bu hey ..this is NZ...thats how things work here for small one off jobs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode