When engine is hot, car will not start - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 10, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
andy

When engine is hot, car will not start

hi, just bought a 1992 camaro z28. the 305 was replaced with a 350. was told engine was rebuilt, a new cam, new injectors was put in. my question is i drive the car for about 15 minutes runs great, turn off car, and then cant get it started again. i push gas pedel to floor, it starts, but when i put foot on brake to shift, it dies. after i do get it started and driving again it runs like crap. the next day it starts right up, and run good til i turn it off and try starting again. does any one have any ideas what the problem might be. thanks for your time, your help would be greatly appreciated. andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 10, 01:07 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

Re: when engine is hot, car will not start

Why do you put the break on to shift?
This is a pretty vague question but it could be because of the ignition coil gets too hot and craps out, the fuel in the system evaporates from heat, or the ignition timing is all off.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 10, 03:19 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Quote:
new injectors....after i do get it started and driving again it runs like crap.
Possibilities: Dirty Fuel Filter - Throttle Plate needs cleaning - Mass Air Flow Sensor Defective - Fuel Pump Problem - Dirty Injectors Use Injector Cleaner - Plugged Catalytic - Coil or Ignition Module Problem - O2 Sensor ... etc

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 10, 05:02 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Is the OBDI still connected ?? If so, no codes present??
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 10, 08:16 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace's68 View Post
Why do you put the break on to shift?
This is a pretty vague question but it could be because of the ignition coil gets too hot and craps out, the fuel in the system evaporates from heat, or the ignition timing is all off.
Like John suggested...I'd have the coil checked out. Common heat prob.

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 10, 09:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: When engine is hot, car will not start

I too have sort of the same problem and although I've 'fixed it' to some extent, it still persists. Most of the things listed to check don't apply to my car. I have a '68 with a crate motor and lots of mods.

Others have suggested timing, but I have the timing set where both the engine likes it and the builder (World) suggested. The car starts fine cold, in fact, you just have to reach in through the door and turn the key. Mine (and I'm assuming czaj1992z28camaro ) cranks fine when hot, so I fail to see how timing is an issue.

In fact, the car will usually start right up after getting hot and you turn it off then immediately start it back up. But if you wait about 5 minutes, it does not like to restart. What I did to work around the issue is hold the gas pedal to the floor when trying to restart. This improves air flow as I think what is happening is fuel is getting hot in either the carb or lines (or both) when its sitting. I don't understand why hot gas does not like to ignite...

I've tried to see if the gas is leaking out of the carb when it sits but can't figure out an easy way to test.

I also put a heat sink plate under the carb made of wood and it seems to help.

-Kevin

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 10, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionCritical View Post
I too have sort of the same problem and although I've 'fixed it' to some extent, it still persists. Most of the things listed to check don't apply to my car. I have a '68 with a crate motor and lots of mods.

Others have suggested timing, but I have the timing set where both the engine likes it and the builder (World) suggested. The car starts fine cold, in fact, you just have to reach in through the door and turn the key. Mine (and I'm assuming czaj1992z28camaro ) cranks fine when hot, so I fail to see how timing is an issue.

In fact, the car will usually start right up after getting hot and you turn it off then immediately start it back up. But if you wait about 5 minutes, it does not like to restart. What I did to work around the issue is hold the gas pedal to the floor when trying to restart. This improves air flow as I think what is happening is fuel is getting hot in either the carb or lines (or both) when its sitting. I don't understand why hot gas does not like to ignite...

I've tried to see if the gas is leaking out of the carb when it sits but can't figure out an easy way to test.

I also put a heat sink plate under the carb made of wood and it seems to help.

-Kevin
Do you have headers? What kind of stater? Did you check you plugs to see if they are fouled?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 10, 09:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Yes, I have headers, and when this problem first started, I just put in new plugs. I've since had the carb reworked. I have a Tilton starter. And two batteries so cranking is not an issue.

-Kevin

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode