Breathing problems .. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 10, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Question Breathing problems ..

Guys i have a question in regards to the carb hoses to the valve cover connection on the passenger side:

For some reason my camaro keeps choking when this hose from the carb is connected to the valve cover on the passengers side. I was stuck on the street and the choking lead me to disconnect it and it runed well after that. In other words when i disconnect it, it is fine. It had always been connected there before, why is it now giving problems ? Should it be connected there ? Thanks for your advise in advance. Picture is below, i outlined it in white so you know where it comes from the carb to the valve cover on the passengers side. Any words of wisdom on why this is now happening ? If i leave it disconnected, will it be a bigger problem later on ? How do i fix this ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro / 400 ci / 3.73 10 /
Edelbrock Performer Series 600 cfm no. 14054
Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake Manifold 27014

98 GMC Suburban / 454 V8 / K2500 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 10, 10:53 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Re: breathing problems ..

A couple questions, not sure what I'm seeing in the pic....What's the hose go to on the v.cover..is it a PCV valve, breather fitting or what ?? Is there vacuum at the hose ? Do you plug the hose when it's disconnected ?

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Re: breathing problems ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
A couple questions, not sure what I'm seeing in the pic....What's the hose go to on the v.cover..is it a PCV valve, breather fitting or what ?? Is there vacuum at the hose ? Do you plug the hose when it's disconnected ?
If Vacuum means it sucks air, yes it is. It had always been on the valve cover and it never had issues before, but now it chokes it when the car warms up after like 2 minutes. When i turn on the car it sounds great and idles smooth, after 2 minutes it chokes out .. unless i disconnect that hose from the valve cover. Not sure why ? I don't plug it to anything when i disconnect it, i just let it hang and grab air. Thanks for your time

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 10:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Re: Breathing problems ..

I run my pcv valve to the back of the carb plate. I have the front port on the carb plate closed off.

I run my vac advance to the distributor off the side of the carb, and my air cleaner base is routed to my other v.cover breather.

Have you or anyone loosened your electric choke and changed its choke points?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68IslTeal View Post
I run my pcv valve to the back of the carb plate. I have the front port on the carb plate closed off.

I run my vac advance to the distributor off the side of the carb, and my air cleaner base is routed to my other v.cover breather.

Have you or anyone loosened your electric choke and changed its choke points?
I actually did by accident, it seemed hard to put back down. I think you just figured out what happened. Your a genius. I was trying to grab a bolt or something and moved the electric choke down by accident and then i tried to put it back up but it would not budge. So i guess i screwed something up ey ? Thanks

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 11:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

When I say changed the choke points that is done by loosening the nuts on the choke housing, so unless it was loose and you hit it by accident it should not of changes unless by vibration if the nuts were loose. Have you looked at the carb to make sure nothing is blocking movement of the choke linkage/cam/etc.. on the side of the carb? If you hit the linkage and it choked the carb, then you should not try to force it back, you should crank the car and let the electric choke run its course and unchoke itself, just like normal use.

I see in your picture that your brake booster is tied to the back port of the carb, so I understand why you are attached to the front port. Which should not be an issue, and that in that picture the choke looks engaged right now even. But that could be an optical illusion I guess. Is the pcv fitting new or an old one? I was just ondering if it was not working properly/clogged up since removing it seemed to be what changes the behavior. Go buy a new one at auto zone and see it it acts differently, its only 2-3 dollars.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Quote:
When I say changed the choke points that is done by loosening the nuts on the choke housing, so unless it was loose and you hit it by accident it should not of changes unless by vibration if the nuts were loose. Have you looked at the carb to make sure nothing is blocking movement of the choke linkage/cam/etc.. on the side of the carb? If you hit the linkage and it choked the carb, then you should not try to force it back, you should crank the car and let the electric choke run its course and unchoke itself, just like normal use.

I see in your picture that your brake booster is tied to the back port of the carb, so I understand why you are attached to the front port. Which should not be an issue, and that in that picture the choke looks engaged right now even. But that could be an optical illusion I guess. Is the pcv fitting new or an old one? I was just ondering if it was not working properly/clogged up since removing it seemed to be what changes the behavior. Go buy a new one at auto zone and see it it acts differently, its only 2-3 dollars.
The only thing i had done recently is i had the valve cover gaskets and manifold gaskets redone, they were leaking. Now i have no leaks but i have this issues with it choking after it warms up. thanks

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 01:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Dunno if you knew this or not...

A lot of people think their valve cover leaks are due to a bad gasket, but in reality it is often due to lack of a pcv or a bad/clogged pcv. The pcv is a vent for excessive crankcase pressure which builds upo in the engine valve covers. If oil drain galleies get build up in them and slow the oil draining that increases pressure on the valve gaskets, etc...

Another reason to make sure you change that oil often and sometimes run some seafoam (AS DIRECTED) in your oil to keep the drains clean.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Quote:
Dunno if you knew this or not...

A lot of people think their valve cover leaks are due to a bad gasket, but in reality it is often due to lack of a pcv or a bad/clogged pcv. The pcv is a vent for excessive crankcase pressure which builds upo in the engine valve covers. If oil drain galleies get build up in them and slow the oil draining that increases pressure on the valve gaskets, etc...

Another reason to make sure you change that oil often and sometimes run some seafoam (AS DIRECTED) in your oil to keep the drains clean.
Your starting to make me wonder. I had put a new engine and it has less then 2K miles on it and the valve covers and manifold gaskets were leaking, i thought they did a bad job so i send it to another shop to get all the gaskets done. Or i thought it was cause i ran it too hard. Now i am having this other issue and i have not runned it hard at all. I should get this checked asap before i get more leaks again ! My friend has recommended me another place that knows these types of engines so i will head that direction. Thanks

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 01:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

I have seen a newly built engine leak at the valve covers arounf the valve cover bolts and I knew they wer tightend down, and soon as we put a pcv system on the engine it never leaked again.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 05:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
David

Back to the original point...when you disconnect the pcv and it runs better that means its running too rich. If the motor runs better with more air then less then you've got too much fuel going into the engine. Lots to check out but carb is first issue to iron out ie: choke flys not opening, idle mixture too rich, floats not set correctly, yada yada

68 coupe ,572,tko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
air, breathing, carburetor, choking, hoses

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode