Proform pushrod checker - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 11, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

Proform pushrod checker

Hi,
Who has used the blue plastic thing that slides over your rocker shaft to check pusrod length. It's Proform #66789 Pushrod Length Checker. Don't exactly see how it works. Any pics, video, or help appreciated.

RJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 11, 06:51 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Proform pushrod checker

Use your stock push rod and the blue checker along with a feeler guage set to get your proper length. Just install like a regular rocker and stock pushrod (7.800") add feeler guages (shims) to get the proper length just add guage amount to 7.800 (or whatever you're using) and done.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 11, 07:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
Use your stock push rod and the blue checker along with a feeler guage set to get your proper length. Just install like a regular rocker and stock pushrod (7.800") add feeler guages (shims) to get the proper length just add guage amount to 7.800 (or whatever you're using) and done.
Doug, does this checker provide a guide to rocker arm roller patterns or geometery? You know the valve stem wear pattern? I have never used one.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 11, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

I put it on the rocker shaft last night, didn't think it fit very snugly at all. I bought actual adjustable pushrods for checking as well, not sure which I will rely on, or both. Gonna try to get started with it today. Don, I too am not sure how you go about determining the wear pattern on the valve stem. Keep me posted if you figure it out, please.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 11, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

Just thought about it, and when you put the checker over the rocker shaft, are you supposed to put a nut on there too? Not sure if there was enough shaft for that.
rj
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 11, 06:55 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Rj here is a very detailed way of checking pushrod length with some good photos of the marks on the valve tip and what too look for,hope this helps

http://camaroforums.com/forum/4th-ge...-length-51829/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 355sbc 11.76et @ 116mph 1.67 60' Deluxe Parchment interior
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 11, 08:41 AM
Senior Tech
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJBaileyrn View Post
I put it on the rocker shaft last night, didn't think it fit very snugly at all. I bought actual adjustable pushrods for checking as well, not sure which I will rely on, or both. Gonna try to get started with it today. Don, I too am not sure how you go about determining the wear pattern on the valve stem. Keep me posted if you figure it out, please.
Put a clean smooth layer or two of masking tape over the rocker stud. This will remove the 'play' of the blue plastic geometry tool and give you an accurate reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode