Intake Crossover passage - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 11, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
jp

Intake Crossover passage

Got my motor put back together on my original 68 350 and did not know about the crossover passage on the intake till now. There still there (not pluged). My question is can I still plug with a brass wedge style plug (what size)? or will just getting the right heat shield/gasket combo work?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 11, 08:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Re: Intake Crossover passage

Your intake gaskets should come with a tin shield that will sorta snap in place blocking the crossover.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 11, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Like Moonpie stated, the new Fel-Pro intake gaskets I just picked up have the tin shields.

68RS Project - taking much longer than expected

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 11, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
jp

Ok, thanks.
As far as the carb gasket itself. I am running a original quad.
Does the gasket i use make a differance?
I have two styles. (1) 4 hole with crossover cut into it and (1) 1/4 inch thick one hole style???
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 11, 09:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Nice thing about the thick gasket is it has plastic thingys in each bolt hole that keep you from overtightening. Also gives more "cushion" to take up any minor surface irregularities on the manifold or carb.
Oh,use the one hole to avoid any possible mismatch between gasket and carb venturi holes.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 03:09 PM
Hunny

kn intakes
Quote:
Cold air intake is mainly a device which brings comparatively cooler air, to the carís internal combustion engine, and thus, increases the engine power and efficiency. Air intake systems contribute to a substantial increase in the horsepower. This is an inexpensive way to increase the efficiency of your car engine.

Cold air systems have four parts. They include two mandrel-bent aluminum piping, one billet-aluminum MAF adaptor and one high flow filter. These systems generally tend to add 3-5 horse power, to the engine. The sound wave generated by an intake system and its frequency varies greatly, depending upon the length of the system; the longer the system, the lower the frequency. With all the usual intake systems, as the RPM increases, the inlet valve opening also increases accordingly; but the length of the inlet tract remains constant throughout.
I like fram
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 04:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Intake Crossover passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelluv View Post
Got my motor put back together on my original 68 350 and did not know about the crossover passage on the intake till now. There still there (not pluged). My question is can I still plug with a brass wedge style plug (what size)? or will just getting the right heat shield/gasket combo work?
Thanks

I take it you are talking about the carb. heat cross-over in the Intake Manifold
Yes, you can (prefered) drill/tap them to 1/4NPT and install two (2) 1/4" pipe plugs - or (other method) you can install regular brass 'freeze-plugs' in them (IIRC they are 7/16" plugs ...).
Make sure to coat either type plug with some Permatex #2 sealer before installing to assure sealing.

Your original carb. used a steel shim as a heat block (installed first directly to manifold) and then a four hole gasket over that to seal carb. bottom.
Here's a link to the steel shim and gasket types - http://quadrajetparts.com/gaskets-qu...hick-p-97.html

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 07:05 PM
Team Member
John

Here's the cup plug fix and the threaded pipe plug fix.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HotSlotFix.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	21820   Click image for larger version

Name:	HotSlotPipePlug.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	21821  

JohnZ
CRG
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 07:32 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
... or (other method) you can install regular brass 'freeze-plugs' in them (IIRC they are 7/16" plugs ...).
Make sure to coat either type plug with some Permatex #2 sealer before installing to assure sealing.
Is there any issue using steel cup plugs instead of brass? I was planning on doing this and all the local NAPA had was the steel plugs. Any tips/tricks to install the cup type plugs?

Also, how does the Permatex #2 hold up to the heat in that area? It's supposed to be good to 400 F. Do you think there would be any benefit to using a high-temp RTV or epoxy?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 10:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

I always used brass, just 'cause I had them ...
Then I changed to using pipe plugs 10 or so years back.
I don't see any reason you couldn't use steel, there is little if any moisture in this area to effect them.

I've prefered Pematex - #2 over #1 usually, unless it's in a place like this where I have little worry of having to remove them for 'service' work - as a sealant for higher heat and moisture areas like this.
I've never had a leak due to it failing from heat here.

Thank's John for posting the illustration pics

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 11, 06:14 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerjon View Post
kn intakes

I like fram
your ideas intrigue me. i'd like very much to subscribe to your newsletter..

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 11, 07:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I did the same thing as John Z in the pics above on my 69 350/300hp intake.

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode