Water pump/power steering issue - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 11, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

Water pump/power steering issue

HI GUYS, Not sure this 406 will ever see the road haha. One issue after the other. This one concerns Edelbrock Victor water pump #8811. Got it bolted on, looks awesome, but power sterring bracker doesn't bolt up to it. w/p hole is threaded and too small for p/s bracket bolt. Instructions say you might need to drill it out with 3/8" bit. Will do, but it looks like the p/s bracket will need considerable gringing to fit up. Also can do, but before I butcher, I mean fabricate, wondered who else has dealth with this issue.

Thanks
RJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 11, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Water pump/power steering issue

I have seen the w/pump bolt both ways, a thru-bolt and bolt-on.
Bu, the PS bracket fit with a GM w/pump.
If you have to fabricate, you have to fabricate.
Could you modify the w/pump to fit the bracket?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

Didn't see any way to modify pump, but did alot of grinding on the bracket, repainted it, and it's ready to go on. Don't think it will weaken it at all. I put this motor together with all new parts, quality stuff, love the way it looks, can't wait to hear it fire up, but it has presented alot of issues along the way, and not done yet.

RJ

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 07:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJBaileyrn View Post
Didn't see any way to modify pump, but did alot of grinding on the bracket, repainted it, and it's ready to go on. Don't think it will weaken it at all. I put this motor together with all new parts, quality stuff, love the way it looks, can't wait to hear it fire up, but it has presented alot of issues along the way, and not done yet.

RJ
I hate to say it but now adays nothing just bolts on especially accessories. That is the fun part about hotrods. Its all a learning experience and you get to share it with other hotrods. If it was easy anyone could do it.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

haha, true, but often frustrating as well. Part of the problem here was the Comp #210 aluminum billet 2 piece timing cover I'm sure.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 08:26 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Eww. Could've told you that cover would be an issue. Is it a GM power steering bracket? If so you still have to drill out the through hole since the bracket has a nut tacked to it and the long bolt goes through the bracket/wp/bracket.

I used to have a cast aluminum one on mine and the bracket hit one of the cap head screws. The belt had to be sized small enough so that you almost had to put it in the oven to get it on with the bracket completely relaxed. Went with a Chinese knock-off of the March bracket and it looks better but took two hours of checking, shimming, grinding to get the thing to work. God help me if that water pump ever has to come off.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

Haha,
i understand completely, I did mucha grinding on the GM bracket to make it work, I really do like the timing cover though, and didn't want to change it back. Already drilled the hole outt, that was the easy part.

Hey Steiner,
On your dart block, did you use the OEM style cam with the thrust plate, or the retro cam. I went with the OEM style cam, with the stepped nose and thrust plate. Seems all that is involved then is put in the cam, then bolt on the thrust plate, then the cam sprocket, etc. no buttons or end play is my understanding, which means that the back of the cam sprocket butts up to the front of the block. Am I correct on this?

Also I'm assuming you went with the .300 longer lifters as dart recommends, what did you wind up using for pushrods and their length?
Trying to get that length next and order new ones tomorrow.

RJ
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 11:33 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Dude, I am STILL trying to get Ritchie to email me that list. I'll call him again Monday morning. Last time I talked to him he said he'd written it down and thought he sent it because he had a build list for someone else as well. My email does have issues sometimes so who knows.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

Just did my valve to piston clearance and had plenty of room there, but still need to get the new correct pushrods and redo it, cause I expect the correct geometry will make a difference in those measurements. Just wanted to see if I was even close to not having enough clearance.
RJ
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 11, 08:41 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Talked to Ritchie this morning and he thought someone had sent the list already. Said to just send an email and that the owner of the company sees all of them so I should get it then. He did say to definitely use the tall lifters. You have a lot more cam than me so pushrod length will probably not be the same.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode