Question about Starters - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 11, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question about Starters

I have a car that when I first start it up, it fires up just fine. After driving it a while and I turn the engine off, then back on, the starter starts to drag as if the battery has gone down. I placed a voltmeter on the battery and its fully charged at 12.5v. I also have a voltmeter that plugs into the cigarette lighter that tracks the voltage when the car is running. While running the voltage stays between 12.5 and 14 volts.

The starter only drags after the car has been driven for a while and the motor is hot (not overheating or anything, just hot). Is this a sign that its time to replace the starter, or should I start looking at something else.

When you buy an American car, you provide work for a man and his family for three months. -Jay Leno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 07:41 AM
Senior Tech
Dan Ensign

Re: Question about Starters

Check the condition of the battery cables and connections, also have the battery load tested, as it may be only surface charging. You can do a voltage drop test to see if you are losing battery voltage at the starter. Do this on both positive and negative leads. If all chcks out than go after the starter.

Dan E.
69 ss396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 07:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

You may want to check your timing too as it may be too far advanced.

69 SS, 350/300 h.p., M-20, 12 bolt, matching numbers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 10:40 AM
Senior Tech
wayne

HEAT.
I had this exact problem on a 68 firebird. First start was always good, then after driving around for a while re-start was not always happening.
Any heat shields missing from your starter?
Did your year have heat shields?
My firebird does have shields, and my camaro does not. The starters are on opposite sides of the engine however and the heat collection may not be a problem on the chevrolets.

Anyone else have a similar issue/resolution?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 10:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Does this car have headers?? or original exhaust manifolds.

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 10:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Daryl

Garage

Check the starter amp draw.

Few vehicle manufacturers give starter current draw specifications with the starter installed on the vehicle. Use the chart below as a guideline regarding the range of the maximum allowable starter draw.

4-cylinder engines = 150 to 185 amperes maximum
6-cylinder engines = 160 to 200 amperes maximum
8-cylinder engines = 185 to 250 amperes maximum

Last edited by 1968RallySport; Mar 20th, 11 at 11:14 AM. Reason: additional information
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 11:55 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

Years ago when I was working in a full service auto shop, we used to get this all the time with little old ladies (and little old men too) in their Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs. After replacing many many starters and battery cables, we had the occasion to rebuild the engine on one of the problem cars. We found that the engine had lots of carbon behind the rings that was causing the rings to drag badly when hot. After the ring grooves were cleaned, the starter problem no longer existed. After that, whenever one of the problem Oldsmobile or Pontiacs would come with a starter problem, the first thing we would do is use a product called BLASTER TVF and following the directions, decarbon the engine. That included pouring a can of the product through the carburetor, and also adding a can to the oil. That, along with a new starter usually cured their problem. Not saying for sure that this is your problem, but it was on a lot of those "gently driven" luxury cars back in the 60's.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Could be a heat sink issue. Buy the silver thermal insulation that places like Jegs or Summit sells and wrap the starter. I had a similar issue years ago and that worked. It has velcro and I put a few zip ties around it to secure it. It's a pretty cheap fix.

Then: N/A, 436 ci, Stock Block, Track 1's, Stock Suspension, Ranchos, 3250 lbs... 1.33 60 ft / 9.69 @ 138 mph
Now: Boost...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for all the reponses guys

The battery tested to be good and all the cables seem to be in good condition. Im gonna pull the starter and have it tested tomorrow and see what happens!

When you buy an American car, you provide work for a man and his family for three months. -Jay Leno
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 09:34 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Does this car have headers?? or original exhaust manifolds.
If it's got headers, a dragging starter is a common symptom when it's hot. Get a heat shield to put on it. That may do the trick. Something like this: http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.%20Gasket/7...0002/-1?CT=999

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 11, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Pull the battery cables are replace them. The cables can corrode under the jacket and this will increase the resistance when hot. Too much resistance and the car won't start no matter how many volts and amps the battery has. While you are at it you should also replace the braided ground straps from motor to chassis.

When I rewired my 68 I added a secondary ground strap from the battery direct to the chassis just to aid in completing the circuit. Good grounds will never hurt.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode