350 engine swap - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Duane

350 engine swap

I have a 1969 Camaro with a stock 350 and a TH350 trans. It has seen better days, and I am thinking of buying a crate 350 to swap it out with. Eventually I would send it off to a machine shop to have it rebuilt and cleaned up, but that is a ways off. I see lots of options for crate motors on JEGs and Summit Racing, but they indicate they are replacements for particular model years. My question is whether I can buy any 350 crate motor and drop it in the Camaro or is there enough differences between model years that I would have problems? I would hate to spend a lot of money on a new motor only to find that it won't fit in the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 05:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967
Re: 350 engine swap

If it is not going to be an original car (crate motor), then it really does not matter which engine you put in...the small block dimensions are the same, regardless of model year, unless you start getting into "newer" LS type stuff...

Just re-use the pulleys, brackets, etc off of your current motor...

the only other difference that jumps to mind is a short water pump vs long water pump, but after '68, all the small block pumps were long (I think)

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 06:38 PM
Senior Tech
John

Also remember if you just get the block and heads, make sure its either a Vortec style or non Vortec style. Meaning, the intake manifold bolts are going straight down in, vs angled in the old style way. Vortec valve covers also bolt in the center as well, vs perimeter.

This is mostly things that'll come up if you will be re-using anything off the 350 you have now.

- John
Misfit tortured soul. Lone wolf. Unicorn.
'67 V8 Camaro - 12637, 797-Z (Parchment), M-M (Royal Plum), 2M, 3K, 5Y

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Duane

Thank you for the explanations. I have been hoping to get a block with heads already included to avoid any need to figure out matching. If I understand correctly, a truck 350 small block should be the same as one that came out of a car.

As far as rebuilding my existing 350, I've seen shows where they take the blocks to machine shops and do all kinds of things to the block. Is that really necessary? Will doing a bunch of machining on the block make it produce more horsepower or improve fuel economy enough to notice?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 11, 02:11 AM
Senior Tech
darrell

machine work is essential to longevity- its got to be bored, hot tanked , new cam bearing-this has to be done for basic rebuild--you can get into decking, line hone,screens in oil galleys, radiusing of crank and so on for performance-a correct rebuild by a machine is a much better way to go--in your case,if you want a crate motor-go with prev 80 model 350-doug herbert also carries great crate motors
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 11, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Another choice is a Jasper Premium Kit. The kit includes every item from the radiator rearward, meaning new rad cap, hoses, thermostat, etc. You provide the receipt for either a rad cleaning or new radiator, and with the warranty card, 3/36 warranty.

However, nothing like having a new engine, a crate engine. I believe some of the lower HP engines by GM are assembled/made in Mexico, I could be mistaken.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 11, 03:04 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Buy a new engine from GM, prices are competitive and the warranty is outstanding.
GM offers many choices of stock replacements to Vortecs to Ramjets.

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 09:59 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Any engine from 1964-2000 will bolt in.
1964-1977 will virtually be a direct swap.
1978-1985 will be the same with a P/S dipstick
1986+ will have a 1pc rear main seal, some will have hyd roller cam provisions some wont and most likely a vortec head if its a performance build. If so you need a vortech intake to match and a 1pc rear main seal flex plate for these engines. Everything else will swap over.

If you need any help, let me know.

Brandon

71 Chevelle 496 Stroker Hyd Roller 675HP, TH400 3500 Stall, 3.73 12 Bolt.

ATK HP ENGINES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom Built Street-Strip-Racing Engines
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Duane

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like I'm in good shape to go buy a decent motor and swap out my current one. The challenge will be what to get.

The other consideration is whether to buy a rebuilt/remanufactured block or buy new. I know the risk of getting a bad block goes up with something used, but considering I don't plan to do more than cruise around in the car, I don't think I'll stress a used engine as long as it's not in really bad shape. Considering the sad shape my current motor is in and still works fine, I don't think it would be a major risk.

I'm still seriously considering finding a really cheap 350 long block and rebuilding it myself as a learning experience. Can anyone tell me what the minimum machine work that would need to be done for something like this and a rough estimate on cost? I figure it would need to be tested for cracks and maybe some machining for tolerances. I would then need to buy a rebuild kit with gaskets and other minor parts that wear out. Has anyone done this with some success on the cheap?

Not being a mechanic or machinist, would that even be possible for me if I get some good books and videos to walk me through the process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode