Yes or no?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...&ci_sku=628844
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 04:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: Welding Exhaust Systems

If you want a welder, buy a gas MIG, not flux, and it will take practice to use, welded is hard to get apart.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by john68 View Post
If you want a welder, buy a gas MIG, not flux, and it will take practice to use, welded is hard to get apart.
I can MIG weld, but this would be a probably a 1x use only.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 05:42 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

I would rent one then. Stay away from the flux machines. The welds are not as pretty. LOL.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 06:11 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Nice clean welds and flux core don't belong in the same breath. If it is a one time thing you might as well pay someplace to do it. It shouldn't cost more than the price of a welder.

If you want to buy a welder, (which is nice to have) I would highly suggest investing in a 220V machine, the 110V machines are limited and don't do as nice of a job as a 220V machine.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 06:24 PM
Senior Tech
Terry

If you don't have the exhaust system it may be more prudent to have a Muffler Shop do it. The shop I took my 68 Camaro to charged $568.00 parts/labor, from the header collector out the back 69 Z28 Style. Cost included SS Magnaflow mufflers, 2.25" alum pipe, chrome tips.

Fast forward. Three years later I purchased a '56 Chevy Coupe with a Muncie and 3.70 posi. Decided to install a TKO600. TKO Shifter is center mounted. Over the decades the PO's made the side shifter hole larger and larger. Purchased a Lincoln Pro Mig 180, cart, argon/co2 bottle= $900.00. Used the mig once to patch the hole (6" x 12") one year ago. Haven't needed a mig since. So.. it cost me $900 to patch a hole. Yes, I still have a 1X used mig system.

BTW, mig with gas is the best way to go. Kinda like golf....practice makes perfect.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to society. The optimist invents the automobile, the pessimist seat belts, head rests, disc brakes, and air bags.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 11, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
If you don't have the exhaust system it may be more prudent to have a Muffler Shop do it.
Yep a few 'tricks of the trade' certainly make a big diff....
u dont have a welder...do you have a pipe bender?

And also to note I weld my exhaust system in to 1 peace front to back....

And u dont need a mig...gas is just as good.....and tig is definately the way to go over all.
Quote:
I can MIG weld, but this would be a probably a 1x use only.
That is a crazy statement thu....I have yet to know someone who has brought a welder...even thu they thought that...and nevver regeted it...
They my sit under the bench...pay a few bucks on the bottle rental every 2 or 3 months....then one day the lawn mower breaks, the kids want a go kart knocked up out of an old Briggs and stratton to whizz around the house and thru the rose bushes...they learn fast not to do the rose bushes lol

But as commented above, getting a shop to make up your system as against buying a small gas mig....and u can bend ok....buy a bloody welder

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 11, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I can't imagine owning one of the old heaps and not owning a MIG welder if you do your own repairs/maintenance/modifications. Lots of uses around the house, too. MIG welding is fun. Sometimes I dream up stuff to do just so I can weld something.

Keep a spool of flux core wire around, though. Very handy for welding outdoors in the wind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode