BBC fitment issues.. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 11, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Hector

BBC fitment issues..

Well shop called me today and asked me to come down.. Seems that the 2457 headers will not clear the power steering box...so in order to get it to fit they had to put a stack of washers under the motor stand almost a half inch thick...will this be OK or will the stands distort after time... I explained to them that they may want to try behind the motor mount but they preferred to place it under the stands....

Has anyone had to do this... I am running 1969 big block stands, 69 mounts...and 2457 headers...

Could use some input on this.. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 11, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Hector

Re: BBC fitment issues..

Anyone any thoughts...

Also noticed that the power glide just slid over less than a 1/4 inch... Should the tranny slide over an inch..

And last the transmission shifter cable bracket is on the header.. . Coulld really use some opinions...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 11, 05:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Same headers, same mounts. I used spacers between the mount and block. Spacers under the frame stands should be OK.

Also with the correct BB trans crossmember the trans should shift 1/2" to the passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	21360   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0229.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	21361  

67 new build alum. 406 | 69 RS/SS 496 631 HP / 618 TQ | 73 Z28 Survivor 36k miles | 89 IROC Z 2500 miles | 02 SS 35th Anniv. LE 645 miles |11 SS Berger 550HP (1 of 25) | 14 ZL1 6M Recaros

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 11, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Hector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom P View Post
Same headers, same mounts. I used spacers between the mount and block. Spacers under the frame stands should be OK.

Also with the correct BB trans crossmember the trans should shift 1/2" to the passenger side.

Tom how many spacers???

I need 3/8 of an inch.. Spacer...seems like a lot... As for the tranny looks like it went forward almost an inch and toward passengers side maybe 1/4 to a 1/2..

Wow... Really don't want to hack this up....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 11, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Same issue here, correct engine and frame mounts along with trans crossmember.

My solution:

Also had one header collector pointing down a bit so had to make a custom piece to bring into better alignment:

Also why do they put one of the collector bolt flanges facing down? Could easily have another 1/2" to inch clearance if they just oriented it differently:

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 11, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Hector

Ok.. I can either dent the headers or use spacers for the engine stands or mounts...

Is one fix better than the other...by raising the engine the extra 3/8 on the driverside going to screw anything up.. Like drivetrain alignment or hood clearance...

Thanks in advance..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 11, 05:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I think I used 4 grade 8 washers -ended up about 3/8". If you really look close, yes you can see the driver side is slightly higher than passenger, most people never notice. No problems with hood clearance, cowl hood.

I agree with Ed, Hooker should have made the collector with an exhaust flange that can rotate!

67 new build alum. 406 | 69 RS/SS 496 631 HP / 618 TQ | 73 Z28 Survivor 36k miles | 89 IROC Z 2500 miles | 02 SS 35th Anniv. LE 645 miles |11 SS Berger 550HP (1 of 25) | 14 ZL1 6M Recaros
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 11, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Hector

Are you running a auto or manual tranny... Had to take the bracket off the power glide not sure how to get it back on so it clears the collector??

Also why do some people have no problems with fit but some are way off?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 11, 06:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I can't help you with the powerglide. manual TKO-600, no clearance problems there. Can you post a picture of the bracket?

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 11, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Hector

Same bracket as on a t350...Will head back to the shop tomorrow and grab a few pics...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 11, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock1969RS View Post

Also why do they put one of the collector bolt flanges facing down? Could easily have another 1/2" to inch clearance if they just oriented it differently:
Same deal on my 2131 Hookers (SBC 1 3/4"), so I called them and asked about it. The guy's reply was priceless. "Some people get mad when we have that bolt facing straight up at the top" So their solution was to piss everyone off - one side facing up, one side facing down. The Hooker's are in my attic collecting dust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 11, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedjester View Post
Ok.. I can either dent the headers or use spacers for the engine stands or mounts...

Is one fix better than the other...by raising the engine the extra 3/8 on the driverside going to screw anything up.. Like drivetrain alignment or hood clearance...

Thanks in advance..
Provided that you have the correct engine/frame mounts and trans mount, I think you would have less clearance issues beating on the headers. However the drawback is a bit less exhaust flow on that one port.

You could always mock it up with washers and see. Worst case if you have a lot of problems with alignment elsewhere you take out the washers and take your frustration out on the headers with a BFH.

Ed

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 11, 09:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
David

Lemons headers is the answer.

68 coupe ,572,tko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode