Power steering vacuum source - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

Power steering vacuum source

Hi guys,
Before I put my Victor Jr. intake back on, I was wondering if I could improve upon my vacuum sources. The Vic doesn't have a vacuum port anywhere on it, so previously had to run vacuum from the base of the carb to poer steering booster and to PCV valve. That was a bad idea, because it sucked in a bunch of oil into the intake. Besides I ran the risk of oil into the booster, as well.

How have you guys solved that issue. I was thinking of drilling into the Vic and tapping the hole for the power steering line, but wondered where the best place to do that would be. Looks like on the passenger side would be good, but not sure where exactly. Driver side would be in way of throttle lingage, and back doesn't give the greatest of sites either.

Also wonder what you guys have done as far as PCV setups. I know some have routed a braided stainless line from PCV valve on valve cover to header collecter which theoretically induces some vacuum there to the line. Appreciate any and all input and suggestions.

RJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 10:14 AM
Guess

Re: Power steering vacuum source

Vacuum for steering?
You mean brakes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 02:19 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJBaileyrn View Post
Hi guys,
Before I put my Victor Jr. intake back on, I was wondering if I could improve upon my vacuum sources. The Vic doesn't have a vacuum port anywhere on it, so previously had to run vacuum from the base of the carb to poer steering booster and to PCV valve. That was a bad idea, because it sucked in a bunch of oil into the intake. Besides I ran the risk of oil into the booster, as well.

How have you guys solved that issue. I was thinking of drilling into the Vic and tapping the hole for the power steering line, but wondered where the best place to do that would be. Looks like on the passenger side would be good, but not sure where exactly. Driver side would be in way of throttle lingage, and back doesn't give the greatest of sites either.

Also wonder what you guys have done as far as PCV setups. I know some have routed a braided stainless line from PCV valve on valve cover to header collecter which theoretically induces some vacuum there to the line. Appreciate any and all input and suggestions.

RJ

You cannot suck oil into the brake booster. the booster is under vacuum.
The booster has a check valve that prevents reversation,,,,so it holds vacuum.
If you have so much blowby that your PCV is sucking that much oil, its rebuild time.

The port at the carb, in the manifold etc as long as it is a big enough capacity doesn't care if the booster and PCV and trans vacuum modulator is connected to it. You could rob a vacuum tree off of a Ford PU or Van and mount it on the firewall. Then run the various lines to each particular part needing vacuum, like the way Ford does it.

Please don't drive in my town,,,, the vacuum goes to your power BRAKE Booster,,,,,, not your Power Steering.

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 02:32 PM
Senior Tech
Al

We all know you meant to say brakes.

If you have room under your hood, you can add a spacer under the carb with a vacuum port drilled/tapped into it.

If your PCV system is sucking oil you need to figure out why. It could be that your valve covers don't have oil baffles in them. You also need to have an air inlet in the other valve cover.

The header evac system really doesn't work on a street car - it works on drag cars that are run at WOT.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 11, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

Haha,
That's what I meant, the brake booster. Maybe I could have vacuum assisted power steering too!!!!
RJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode