Looking at this CAM (Lunati) - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Benito

Looking at this CAM (Lunati)

For future search purposes to help other people out I have added the name of the cam in my title. I have found that when Im searching for things on here that if I search just title only it made it easier to find stuff. Anyways Here it is. Also I am asking because I dont know where to start and would like suggestions on what the differences that I could possibly expect...This is a Street/Show Car. I would like the performance but also a nice real lopey idle to it. I know that some people think buying a CAM for the lope it is stupid but for me I feel its just a personal preference. Also if you feel that there is something better pls feel free add as well.

Heres my current setup:

9.6:1 compression ratio.
Dual Plane Manifold
Vortec Heads (Fast Burn) 62cc chambers and 210cc intake runners
with
in. intake valves and 1.55 in. exhaust valves.
Steel crank
Hydraulic lifters
Standard Rocker arms
CAM:
.474 in. intake lift
.510 in. exhaust lift
208 degree open duration intake
221 degree open duration exhaust
MSDS Bullet Distributor and Spark Box
Holley 4175 Carb. 650 cfm 4 barrel spread bore.
Long water pump
Mechanical fuel pump I believe everything in the rear is stock gears etc.
This is what the old owner gave me.
Turbo 350 with a 2800 stall converter

Heres the CAM Im looking at:

Bracket Master II Cam Kit - Chevrolet Small Block 292/292

Product Description
Hydraulic, lopey idle. Strong mid-range torque and horsepower. Stall converter, headers, increased compression ratio, and gearing needed.
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 292/292
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 230/230
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .480/.480
LSA/ICL: 109/107
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 2000-6000
Includes: Cam Kit
Part Number: 00010LK
Jobber Price: $185.49
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 12:40 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Re: Looking at this CAM (Lunati)

As Lunati suggests above, "gearing needed".

How big is this engine?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Benito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-line-69 View Post
As Lunati suggests above, "gearing needed".

How big is this engine?
Dangit I knew I forgot something , 350SBC

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 01:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

We need to know ratio of rear axle. What car is this going in and how much does it weigh?

I think I would go bigger on the cam, but need answers to other questions first.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 02:09 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

The .480" lift 230 cam by Lunati, Comp or Crane is the same cam.
It has a very noticeable idle and very good sound. It does like to start pulling after 2500-3000 rpm. SO BUY it on PRICE, Any Cam co will send you a sticker if those are important.
With those big heads, expect 3,000 rpm.
A Looser converter 3500 rpm stall will cure that as well as some 3.42 to 4.10 gears.

9.6 comp, not with 62cc chambers expect 10.5:1 if you have flat tops with 2 or 4 eyebrows or single valve trough and the correct 0.015" felpro #1094 head gasket. Those thick blue felpros are not fo performance engines that still have the stock deck height.

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Benito

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm66 View Post
We need to know ratio of rear axle. What car is this going in and how much does it weigh?

I think I would go bigger on the cam, but need answers to other questions first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhott71 View Post
The .480" lift 230 cam by Lunati, Comp or Crane is the same cam.
It has a very noticeable idle and very good sound. It does like to start pulling after 2500-3000 rpm. SO BUY it on PRICE, Any Cam co will send you a sticker if those are important.
With those big heads, expect 3,000 rpm.
A Looser converter 3500 rpm stall will cure that as well as some 3.42 to 4.10 gears.

9.6 comp, not with 62cc chambers expect 10.5:1 if you have flat tops with 2 or 4 eyebrows or single valve trough and the correct 0.015" felpro #1094 head gasket. Those thick blue felpros are not fo performance engines that still have the stock deck height.
The car is a 68 camaro. I have no clue what it weighs, and the ratio of the axle is stock. It has never been touched. I was looking at getting new gears and posi, because right now all I have is one wheel spinning
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Benito

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm66 View Post

Probably a newb question but whats the best way for me to find the stock ratio of the rear axle? What were you thinking as far as a bigger CAM? I like the fact that Lunati is cheap and reasonable..... Thanks again for your help and everyone else who has chimed in.....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 09:18 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

several things dont look right-duration 230 at .050 does not come out to 292 adv. but i know this cam has 292 adv dur which is gonna make your car sloppy if it really 9.6 -1 compression and no gear---i am with tom on this one---needs 10.5 comp and 3.42 or more gear for this cam
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Benito

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Z4C View Post
several things dont look right-duration 230 at .050 does not come out to 292 adv. but i know this cam has 292 adv dur which is gonna make your car sloppy if it really 9.6 -1 compression and no gear---i am with tom on this one---needs 10.5 comp and 3.42 or more gear for this cam
I got ya im going off of the previous owners notes so once again im going by his word. Im also in the market for new gears so what would you do? or go with? In case the previous owner isnt right i would like to be on the safe side ya know
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 10:15 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

well you stated that its street and show --with you trans car and set up --racing is not in your needs -so you want good pull through all the gears, not slopy--3.73 is the good all around gear for you
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 10:22 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

there are several ways to check the gear you have ,if you dont know by check the number of rotations from wheel and pinion--take cover off and count number of teeth on pinion and ring gear--run number on inspection tag of rearend--make sure you get or got a good posi-the posi unit gotta match the gear ratio you gonna use 3.08-3.73 gear uses the same carrier--get a professional to install it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode