Pinging *** help!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 117 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

Unhappy Pinging *** help!!!!

I have a 383 with 9 1/2 compression, alum heads, moderate cam. Nothing special. 440 HP. It ran great for 2 years. Engine is 5 years old. 3 years ago, the transmission was replaced and after that the pinging started. It was HORRIBLE at anything over 3000 RPM!! I replaced the plugs with the same (Autolite AR3933). It got much better. It started pinging at 4 grand after that. I tried hotter plugs, colder plugs, different brands, different gaps, different wires, etc. It has not been right since. I have changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, coil, etc. The AF ratio is great according to a dyno tune. Even the shop couldn't figure out why is was pinging. The timing is only at 11 degrees initial. When new, it was at 14. The timing curve seems correct. All in is only 32 degress or so. I use 93 octane from different stations to be sure it isn't bad gas. It lately has started to "break up" and run like crap at less than 4000 RPM. Is it possible that the MSD distributor is bad or damaged from the tranny swap? It has a Holley 770 Avenger. Is the carb notorious for issues? Was there a wire pinched when the tranny was replaced? I have tried everything I can think of. I am likely going to ship it to an expert soemwhere. I will NOT go back to the builder of the engine because I had a HORRIBLE experience here in VA. I have a video of its terrible performance. I will post a YouTube link soon. Any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 05:59 PM
Bill

Re: Pinging *** help!!!!

d,
Was there anything really different between the old transmission and the new one that might be causing the problem ? Different converter which might be putting more load on the engine ? Etc.

Does the distributor have a vacuum advance on it ? If not, you should replace it with one that does. I know the discussion has been endless but personally I do not think you can get the proper ignition curve for a STREET DRIVEN engine without having vacuum advance on the distributor. Your total of 32 degrees might be way too much under certain rpm/load conditions. That is where the vacuum advance comes into play. If you got a "tighter" converter with the trans swap, it could be loading the engine down at that rpm.

I would not personally feel real comfortable with someone that has a chassis dyno, and yet cannot figure out why an engine is detonating Where are you in Va ?

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 117 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 06:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Of course nobody ever cracked a cap lowering a engine to change a transmission??

post #4 of 117 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

Thanks. I am in Chesapeake/Virginia Beach. The tranny swap and converter were the same. I just had a rebuild. The stall is around 3 grand. As for the timing, it used to run perfectly with 14 initial and 36 total using the same MSD distributor that has a mechanical advance. I thought about changing the springs to heavier ones but the curve seems good and gradual. I have backed off the timing and it still pings.

John, I even changed the dist cap. No luck.

See the video:
post #5 of 117 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 08:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I would be tracing down all the vacuum lines from the engine. If they cracked the vacuum modulator or didn't hook it back up, your transmission may still shift OK but now there is a vacuum leak.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 117 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

Would I have a vacuum line on an HEI MSD that would cause pinging if it is damaged?
post #7 of 117 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 08:48 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

cracked cap to check first- is there a rise in coolant temp since trans change if so that will point you in direction of cause
post #8 of 117 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 08:50 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deangelo66 View Post
Would I have a vacuum line on an HEI MSD that would cause pinging if it is damaged?

The line would be for vacuum advance. If it were leaking it would just pull in less advance so you'd have less timing at part throttle but no change at wide open when VA drops out. However, it would still be a vacuum leak as far as the engine were concerned.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #9 of 117 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

Thanks. I will check the vacuum lines. That's not going to stop the pinging, is it?

And the cap was changed, Darrell. Everything has been changed. Wish I could figure it out.
post #10 of 117 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 05:56 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Yes, a vacuum leak can cause pinging.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #11 of 117 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

Even with an HEI MSD?? It's a mechanical advance (springs internally).
post #12 of 117 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 07:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro67_rcl

Could it be from you last load of gas in the tank ?
Try some octane booster.

Rick
67 RS/SS 355, Autogear M21 (w/Overdrive), 8.5w/3.42

post #13 of 117 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

Thanks. I even tried a full tank of 100 octane. It helped a lot, but it still pings.
post #14 of 117 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

You're getting hung up on the distributor part. If a vacuum line going to the distributor is leaking, that's a vacuum leak.

Also, which MSD HEI do you have? If it has a vacuum can on it, remove the vacuum line and plug the port on the carb that the vacuum line is coming from and take it for a spin to see what that does.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #15 of 117 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

I have the MSD 8360. The vacuum port is plugged on it because I use mechanical advance. The carb is hooked up to intake vacuum and the brake power booster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode