Using a marine 502ci block? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Using a marine 502ci block?

Has anyone ran across setups using marine blocks these days? I came across a Camaro that I am interested in, with a 502, and the owner sent me details on the engine and it said "marine block".

Just curious... any and all advice, thanks!

'69 Camaro 350 / T56 Magnum / 10-Bolt
Built rear & 4-link coming soon...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 09:54 AM
Banned
Bethanne

Re: Using a marine 502ci block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerCubes View Post
Has anyone ran across setups using marine blocks these days? I came across a Camaro that I am interested in, with a 502, and the owner sent me details on the engine and it said "marine block".

Just curious... any and all advice, thanks!
They are good blocks but they don't have any provision for a mechanical fuel pump.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 10:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Using a marine 502ci block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Beth View Post
They are good blocks but they don't have any provision for a mechanical fuel pump.

Uhmmmm - the late Mark IV 502's do

The main difference between a 'Marine' and a standard BBC are that the HP/Marine blocks all have Cam Thrust Plate holes drilled and tapped, almost all have 4-bolt mains and most of them have a fly-cut relief at the top of the cylinder to allow additional unshrouding for the intake valve.
(some low performance 'marine' application blocks, mainly 454's, don't have all of these mods)
They also have the Oil Cooler ports drilled and tapped above the oil filter area.

If you can furnish the casting number and date, the Suffix code and any other numbers you find we can most likely decode it's origin

And - they make a fine starting point for most HP builds

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 10:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
And - they make a fine starting point for most HP builds
I agree !!!

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

This particular car I am looking at does have an electric fuel pump...

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 11:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Using a marine 502ci block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerCubes View Post
This particular car I am looking at does have an electric fuel pump...

Common on marine applications, as are belt driven fuel pumps on some mercruiser units ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

So is this something you would prefer to have/not to have? Does it really matter?

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 11:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Using a marine 502ci block?

Using a properly sized and installed electric fuel pump is nothing I would think twice about.
I have owned vehicles with electric pumps since the late 60's

You might want to do a few searches on this site for information on sizing, pressures, installation and elecrical supply system to bring yourself up-2-speed on them.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 12:42 PM
Banned
Bethanne

The only thing I don't like is the absence of the mech fuel pump boss is a dead give-away if you're trying to make it look original.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

If its a mark VI the oil pan and timming cover are different that the early model blocks. I had a 555 built on a MarkVI block till a rod let loose. I have a extra pan and belt drive for one now since it wouldnt work on my new dart block. It was a great motor!

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Here are the specs that he had provided me for the whole motor:

Marine block
Speed pistons 11.25:1 compression - 0.60 over
Speed Pro rods
10.10 Crank - steel
110 cc heads - cast w/ 233 int. 188 ex valves
Comp Cam roller 578 lift 332 duration
Crane roller lifters
Full roller rockers - Crane
Double roller chain timing gears
Engine balance
New flywheel
Electric vacuum pump
950 Proform Carb w/ mech. downleg
Zoom comp clutch
Drag race driveshaft with solid Ujoints

Does the compression seem to be on the high side at 11.25:1?

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Talk to the owners wife (he was out) and she said it can be run on premium gas... but he will mix it with some higher octane fuel on occasion as well. What do you think with the higher compression?

Ugh... not sure I want to have to mess with race gas. This might be a little more "race" engine that Im looking for.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 02:31 PM
Banned
Bethanne

Look at the cam duration - 332 !

This is definitely a race engine. And the cast iron heads make it more prone to detonation.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Ok, like I stated before, kinda new to these engines. How is the best way to get the compression on this car down to 10-10.5:1 and run safely on pump gas???

Would a head/cam swap suffice? Recommendations???

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 08:59 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Static compression has very little bearing on whether or not it will run on pump gas. Dynamic compression will decide that and you get that from cam sizing which will set when the valves are fully closed so compression actually starts. With a big enough cam you can run 87 octane in an 11:1 engine.

With that lift, I'm going to assume the 332 is a typo if it's a roller. The biggest solid roller Comp makes is a 322 and it's got over 0.700 lift.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode