Recommendaton on how to make more power - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
J

Recommendaton on how to make more power

Just built my 383 (specs below). Fun to drive but as I've read in previous post ....HP is like a drug.....you want more. So I'm hooked!

So my question to everyone is what can I do to make more power. I'm willing to spend up to $2k......don't really want to spend it all on this but that's my budget. I'd like to make 500hp if possible.

What does everyone recommend? This is a weekend car and maybe some track time on occassion but mostly street. I'm assuming some may say nitrous........I have no previous experience and a little gun shy from a lot of the horror stories. I thought maybe a simple 50 shot so I wouldn't have to mess with timing, etc?

Thanks in advance.

New GM 4 bolt main, Probe Industries SRS forged pistons, Probe cast crank and Probe forged rods. Bearings (rod and main) are Clevite perfect circle (P-Bearings), Roller Rockers are Scorpion Performance 1.5, Isky Hydraulic Roller Camshaft custom made and custom ground cam (Duration 282 / Cam Lift 353 / Valve Lift 530......duration at .050 is 234) Manley Pushrods, Gear Drive Set Cloyes, Heads are Aluminum Patriot Performance 185cc Intake and 64 cc combustion chamber (2.02"/1.60"), Compression 9.86:1 - 9.90:1, B & M 2400 Holeshot torque converter, 4.10 posi rear end, Headers, Holley 750 Double Pumper, Victor Jr Manifold, March Mid Mount Pulley System, Electric Fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 11, 08:58 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Re: Recommendaton on how to make more power

First two things I would do is add a 1.6 Rocker to increase the lift slightly and ditch that Vic Jr Intake for an Air Gap. You have a stout combo as it is...Vic Jr is hurting you. Next I would ditch the heads a and get something in a 210-215 runner.

71 Chevelle 496 Stroker Hyd Roller 675HP, TH400 3500 Stall, 3.73 12 Bolt.

ATK HP ENGINES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom Built Street-Strip-Racing Engines
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 11, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notalent View Post
First two things I would do is add a 1.6 Rocker to increase the lift slightly and ditch that Vic Jr Intake for an Air Gap. You have a stout combo as it is...Vic Jr is hurting you. Next I would ditch the heads a and get something in a 210-215 runner.
What gain do you think I might realized.......I know it a guesstimate.

Also what heads do you recommend, cc, etc?

Thanks

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 11, 04:26 PM
Banned
Bethanne

Sounds like a powerful setup already !

What about adding a gear vendors overdrive so you can take it on long trips?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 11, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
J

Come on I know you guys can give me more that.

Don't worry I won't be offended. My current build was recommended by a friend and I had a limited budget so went with the patriots. So far so good but I know I can get better flowing heads.

Thanks in advance.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 11, 08:17 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

I don't know anything about those heads, but if they were a bit bigger runner I would say mill them to get more compression and port them, but I would say if 500 horse is the goal you need to sell the heads and get something closer to a 200cc runner, 185 is not going to cut it on a 383 imo.

The cam would probably work for now with better heads, but I think you could easily use more cam. 1.6 rockers as mentioned would help, but alone will be minimal I think. What's the lsa on the cam? Seems you could use about 10* more duration to me. Who specd the cam?

The bottom end looks real good, so with some care you could real easily run a 125-150 shot on it. Don't mess with less than 100 though, I think you'll be disappointed.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 11, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rs406 View Post
if 500 horse is the goal you need to sell the heads and get something closer to a 200cc runner, 185 is not going to cut it on a 383 imo.
Thanks Sean. A friend of mine also recommended new heads with 200cc runners. I've been looking at AFRs but I didn't see a 200CC. They have 195 and 210. Would you recommend going to a 210cc runner with 64cc chamber?

The engine shop near me also said the same thing about the 200cc runner. He said he likes the AFR since their base heads are so good out of the box.

When I checked Summit there's some many versions with race porting, competition porting etc. Can someone help me pick the one thats the best for my application? Don't mind spending a little more if the additional porting work will generate more power.

Thanks!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 11, 05:50 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Heads will make the biggest bang for the buck

195/200 cc heads (RHS/Dart/Profiler) will wake it up... I'd say with no other changes you will see 50-75 HP jump over those Patriot heads.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 11, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
Heads will make the biggest bang for the buck

195/200 cc heads (RHS/Dart/Profiler) will wake it up... I'd say with no other changes you will see 50-75 HP jump over those Patriot heads.

Thanks Doug

Would AFR 210cc runners be too big? I know your 50-75hp jump is just an estimate but what if I did some head work like porting, polishing, etc?

Thanks again!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 11, 10:51 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

210/215 would be more "max effort" IMO and could be lazy on the bottom end ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 11, 02:41 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

A 210 would be fine, but you will want to get more compression to go along with them. I would shoot for more regardless, like 10.5:1. If the compression is optimized it wont be lazy. Are you positive of your current compression? If so you need less chamber than you have currently.
AFR are good, but for bang for the buck look at RHS also, I had a set of them on my 406 and they worked very well, and I have heard good stuff about profiled but no first hand experience. Look on sites like racingjunk.com for some used heads also, if you find the right deal it can save you some cash.

Do you know what the LSA is on that cam by chance?

Sean

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 11, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
J

Quote:
Do you know what the LSA is on that cam by chance?
Sorry LSA? Lobe Center is 110*
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 11, 09:25 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkrs310 View Post
Sorry LSA? Lobe Center is 110*
Ok I think we are talking the same thing, lsa = lobe separation angle. If its 110 then that sounds like more reason to get a bit more compression if possible, that cam probably is pretty smooth but probably not helping your power needs currently.

Are you positive of the compression? That sounds low, must be a dish piston? Do you know if it was zero deck?

Sean

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 11, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
J

Quote:
Are you positive of the compression? That sounds low, must be a dish piston? Do you know if it was zero deck?

Yeah the pistons are Probe SRS forged 383 Dish Top -12.8cc. With 64cc heads compression should be 9.9 to 1 (approx).

With this info do you think I can go up to 210 runners and use existing cam without it being a dog on bottom end? AFR has a comp version that is CNCd in 65cc and one in 75cc......which one would be best for my application?

My car is primarily a street car so stop light to stop light power is most imnportant.

Thanks!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 11, 07:12 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Well definitely not 75 cc chambers, and if possible try to get smaller to get some more compression.
I don't think it will be a dog with the 215s but if you plan to keep the cam for awhile and don't plan too much more growth go with the 195 probably.

That cam is probably good for what you have and better heads will definitely make more power alone. I never reccomend cams either, way too personal preference, what's good for me may not be good for you, and heck I let my cam guy just tell me, lol.

If it was mine, I would find a good set of heads in the 210 range and shoot for less than 64cc chambers, then upgrade the cam as money allows. The 210s give room to grow when the bug bites again. Heck with a touch more compression and better heads, some 1.6 rockers, and I think it will keep you happy for awhile.

Sean

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode