Storage of new motor - preventative maintenance proceuder - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 11, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bob

Storage of new motor - preventative maintenance proceuder

A brand new Chevy Performance Parts crate motor has been on display (right out of the crate) in a dealership showroom for almost two years. I'm interested in it but am concerned if any PM was done; has anyone ever seen a procdeure from GM for such things as oil in the cylinders and turn by hand once a month or is there more to it (even my lawn mower and snow blower have procedures on seasonal layup.

I'm concerned about condensation in the cylinders above and below the pistons and all the other nasty surprises that may arise. Other than demanding to see service records (which probably don't exist) I could only go on verbal assurance from dealer. What's everyones take on this? Am looking forward to the replies...and I'm not really interested in tearing it down myself...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 11, 07:25 PM
Bill

Re: Storage of new motor - preventative maintenance proceuder

Bob,

If it has been in the showroom there really should not be any issues with it. As long as all of the openings (spark plugs, carb etc) were sealed off to keep dort out, I would not be worried about it at all. I know guys that have built engines and then stored them for 7 or 8 years while finishing a car and they did not do anything special.

The only time your eally need to worry is when an engine is stored in an unheated garage or shed where the temperature and humidity are constantly changing. That is when condensation can be a problem.

I say buy it and dont worry about it. If they will let you pull a valve cover off first, do that. If there is no rust evident there, then it really should be fine.

Just my opinion,

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 11, 07:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I bought a 502 Ramjet 5 years ago. It sat at the dealer showroom for 2 years and 3 years at my house. I did have it closed up most of the time. I was worried about the valve springs since it hadnt been rotated. I took it to a machine shop and had it checked. Everything was fine and the valve springs were good. Since I had it down I had it balanced.

When I finally got around to putting it in the car mud dobbers had filled most of the thread bolt holes.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 11, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bob

Thanks for your input Bill and Mike; I hear what you're saying and agree; humidity is not a problem out here in the West; if there's rust under the valve covers that will usually point to issues in other areas i.e. crankcase etc.

As far as rotating (or not) by hand, ever suspect or heard of flat spots developing on the crank and cam bearings?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 11, 08:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddize View Post
Thanks for your input Bill and Mike; I hear what you're saying and agree; humidity is not a problem out here in the West; if there's rust under the valve covers that will usually point to issues in other areas i.e. crankcase etc.

As far as rotating (or not) by hand, ever suspect or heard of flat spots developing on the crank and cam bearings?
Shouldn't be a problem. Comes from GMPP with break-in lube already and those pieces are very hard steel.

68 coupe ,572,tko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode