Need carb help??????? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 11, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Travis

Need carb help???????

I have a 69 Camaro with a 385 stroker motor,single plane hurricane intake,crower cam near equal to the 305h cam alot of overlap with this cam, 10.5-1 comp. , stepped dyatech headers1 5/8-1 3/4. I have a 750 qft quick fuel carb with 74 primary jets,84 secondary jets,I put a 50cc acc. Pump on primary side, it has stock pink acc. Cams. Also has #45 power valve. Not sure on squirters? The car idles fine and drives good after the initial pull out. It's when I go to pull out or just barley get on the gas it will studder and sometimes backfire out the carb. I can't seem to get this stubble gone. Also it only pulls 5" of vacuum at idle. I've read power valve should be half of the idle vacuum. So should I get a 2" powervalve? Also when I put throttle to wot without car running I can push the acc. Pump lever down over half way( like an inch of travel) but the lever is pushing the acc pump right away. Anyone please help getting frustrated? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 11, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Need carb help???????

Initial timing is at ____? If more is needed and added, it might increase vacuum and PV may be okay. If it stills stumbles, might decrease squirter and/or pump back to 30cc.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 11, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Travis

ill double check initial timing but i think it is 15 or so. it is 35 total at full advance 4000rpm. it seems like a lean stumble only because when i hit the acc. pump by hand and rev it up it seems like no stumble. and it only when i just roll the throttle easy. when i stab it it hesitates a hair but barely noticable and revs good.?????

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 11, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You might have to lean out the PV to a lesser value.
Might try a larger squirter by a couple sizes and compare the results, if worst, lessen up on the squirter size. Do this before changing PV because of easier access than PV.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 11, 08:48 AM
Senior Tech
Dana

Travis, when you say it has the stock pink pump cam, do you mean the one that came on the carb with the 30cc pump?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 11, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Travis

Yes stock 30cc pump cam had 3 holes of adjustment. The kit I got has a yellow one and a dark maroon 1 both have 1 hole in each. How do you know which way to put it on ?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 11, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech
Dana

Which cam on you using with the 50cc pump? Did you try tuning the 30cc pump before you went with the 50cc? Most apps. work best with the small pump.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 11, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Travis

I didn't try the 30cc pump with this motor but it worked on my last motor. Just figured a 50cc would be better. I'll try the 30cc and see what I come up with ? Any info on power valve recommendations?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 11, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Travis

put yellow 50cc cam back in and adjusted the idle air bleeds out 1 full turn and stumble and backfire seem to be gone for the most part . timing is 15 at idle and 36 at full advance. also have 31 squirters . will the idle air bleeds cause it to run a little lean under full throttle or is that just main jet changes? also it pulls 5" of vacuum at idle so do i still need the 2.5" powervalve or should i just block it off because the vacuum is so low?it has 4.5" power valve now. thanks
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 11, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Adjust mixture screws for best vacuum reading at idle. Use a vacuum gauge.
If no more than 5 inches of vacuum, then try a 2.5 or 3.0 PV.

'
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 11, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Travis

yeah i tried that but i have a real lopey cam and the needle jumps all over right now i think i have it near its best a whole 5" of vacuum. 104 lsa on cam
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 11, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I would imagine a lumpy cam would require an idle of around 1300-1500 rpm and a really loose convertor?

'
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 11, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Travis

It will sit and idle at 850-950 all day right now and that's in gear. It's around 1000to 1100 in neutral. I also have a 3600 stall converter.It has a real dark brown tint to plug at idle but when I rev it threw the gears and quick shut it off it looks like a new plug white. Is this main and secondary jetting that needs to be upped? Car pulls good and doesn't ping or anything plugs just look lean to me but rich at idle

Last edited by GSXR-RED-1000; Mar 31st, 11 at 11:24 AM.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 11, 01:20 PM
Banned
Bethanne

I think you may need to adjust the sec transfer slot.
Click this link, go to post 19; Everett explains how to do it:

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...=transfer+slot
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 11, 02:27 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR-RED-1000 View Post
I have a 69 Camaro with a 385 stroker motor,single plane hurricane intake,crower cam near equal to the 305h cam alot of overlap with this cam, 10.5-1 comp. , stepped dyatech headers1 5/8-1 3/4. I have a 750 qft quick fuel carb with 74 primary jets,84 secondary jets,I put a 50cc acc. Pump on primary side, it has stock pink acc. Cams. Also has #45 power valve. Not sure on squirters? The car idles fine and drives good after the initial pull out. It's when I go to pull out or just barley get on the gas it will studder and sometimes backfire out the carb. I can't seem to get this stubble gone. Also it only pulls 5" of vacuum at idle. I've read power valve should be half of the idle vacuum. So should I get a 2" powervalve? Also when I put throttle to wot without car running I can push the acc. Pump lever down over half way( like an inch of travel) but the lever is pushing the acc pump right away. Anyone please help getting frustrated? Thanks

With a 50cc pump you need to use the BROWN 50cc cam, not a 30 cc pink one.

You should have more than 5" vacuum, so look in to where it is mistuned. Get accurate A/F mixture readings and tune the mixture screws and idle air bleeds accordingly.
Proper useof the vacuum gauge can do it too.
The hurricane itake, ditch that and get a RPM airgap.

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode