Not Your Normal Timing Question..Confused - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 11, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Oscar

Not Your Normal Timing Question..Confused

It is a timing question, but one I have never thought of. Lets say you have your total timing set at 35, and want to take 5 out. So you take the timing light and pull 5 out by turning the dist. Got it.. Now lets say you have a msd box, and you want to take 5 out, you can just turn the dial back and take 5 out.

Now my question is there a performance difference by using the box or will it continue performing the same, and same question if you add timing.

I'm getting a box and will be able to add or retard with it, which I like no more turning the distr, just want to make sure it will continue performing the same and continue the same spark level.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 11, 03:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage
Re: Not Your Normal Timing Question..Confused

Which box are you looking at getting?

What you describe is the MSD #8680 adjustable timing control. I don't believe any of their boxes have this feature. They will pull a preset amount of timing for nitrous when the box is triggered or they can be boost referenced to pull timing.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 11, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Oscar

It is the 8680. I understand how to hook it up, and I can set it up so I can either pull timing or advance timing with it. Just curious as to the difference as stated above. Thanks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 11, 04:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by obengston View Post
It is the 8680. I understand how to hook it up, and I can set it up so I can either pull timing or advance timing with it. Just curious as to the difference as stated above. Thanks
There should be no difference. A friend of mine ran one of those on his truck back in the 80's. If he was towing his trailer and it started to ping he pulled a few degrees.

Why are you installing that unit?

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 11, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Oscar

I'm setting up a nitrous system. I was going to go with the 8987 the one that pulls automatically when the nos is on, but I wanted something that I could do without the system. If i decide to run race fuel and need to change the timing I can just turn the knob and be done. Once I'm done then I can just put it back where it is n/a. And I didn't want to use pills.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 11, 05:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by obengston View Post
I'm setting up a nitrous system. I was going to go with the 8987 the one that pulls automatically when the nos is on, but I wanted something that I could do without the system. If i decide to run race fuel and need to change the timing I can just turn the knob and be done. Once I'm done then I can just put it back where it is n/a. And I didn't want to use pills.
Do you currently have an MSD box on your ignition? If so I would suggest going with the MSD #8970. It will automatically pull the preset amount of timing as soon as the nitrous is triggered.

If you currently do not have an MSD box I would suggest the Digital 6 plus. You will get hotter spark. Which you will need with nitrous and it has the retard feature built in.

You will kill your motor if you do not pull timing on the nitrous. What happens if you forget to twist that knob?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 11, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Oscar

I have a MSD 6al, a digital MSD window switch, remote bottle opener, electronic pressure gauge, pressure activated heater, purge w/light machine gun sound, and a digital nitrous a/f shut off switch, wot switch. I was going to do with the one like you listed, and like it, but again wanted a little more control over my timing with or without nitrous. I want forget to take timing out its one of the pre-check things. I know when I turn the activation switch, turn the timing control. Like when I brush my teeth i always out tooth paste on the brush..lol. Anyway I struggled a little on which one I wanted the most, and finally decided on the one I could control on or off nitrous. Like if I was going to run a race fuel and needed to adjust for that without nitrous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode