V6 Missfire - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 11, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Daniel

V6 Missfire

Hey all, I'm new here.

I bought a 99' 3.8 with a missfire. I've already did some searching and cleaned the MAF sensor and replaced the fuel pressure regulator. I checked spark plugs, they were about .065 so I regapped to .055.

When I first got the car it had rich codes that went away after cleaning the MAF sensor. It was REALLy dirty, the worst I've ever seen and I've seen a few. After doing some research it was suggested that I replace the fuel pressure regulator so I did. I was already in there fixing a coolant leak the turned out to be the plastic elbo under the intake.

The car idles fine and will go through the revs just fine(5 speed) is I don't put much load on it. Before I replaced the fuel pressure regulator it would only miss in the low RPMs under high load. Now it seems like it take more load to make it miss but it misses more in the higher RPMs. Do you think it's a bad new fuel pressure regulator? What else is common on these engines that I should check out?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 11, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: V6 Missfire

If the ignition system can't take a heavy load, ie, WOT, usually a bad coil(s).
When regapping the plugs, any of them dark? Meaning no spark to the plug?

Welcome to the Club, Daniel.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 11, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
If the ignition system can't take a heavy load, ie, WOT, usually a bad coil(s).
When regapping the plugs, any of them dark? Meaning no spark to the plug?

Welcome to the Club, Daniel.
No, there was no fouling of any sort, clean electrodes that were a little worn which is why I regapped them.

I was thinking maybe a coil, my other car, a Lincoln LS is known for coil failures and acts similar fashion. I'm thinking maybe I should test my spark plugs wires before I replace any coils. How much resistance should I be looking for? I also noticed that the center coil pack looks newish like it's been replaced, maybe the wrong one was replaced?

I wanted opinion of experienced people with this car but sounds like a generic diagnosis will suffice.

Oh a side note, I just popped a code P0420, are rear O2 sensors known to go bad on these or is it more likely my cat went? Is there an easy test to see if it's my sensor without just buying a new one and putting it in?

Thanks

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 11, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Daniel

Fixed the miss. Had a loose spark plug wire on one of the posts of the coils. I might have fixed the O2 sensor code too, but we'll find out if the light goes out.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 11, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Cool! Good job.
After several starts, 50?, if fault is no more, light goes out.
Visit an Advance store and use the code reader to reset/erase the code(s).

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 11, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Daniel

Quote:
After several starts, 50?, if fault is no more, light goes out.
Visit an Advance store and use the code reader to reset/erase the code(s).
Yea, I've been reading that it's crazy high for it to self clear. I have a scanner that I can remove the codes with. I just hate doing clearing them because it restarts all the monitors because I'm trying to get the car smogged and every time I reset it takes at least 3 days to get enough running again to pass smog.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Daniel

Being as I already have this started I'll post this here.

I keep getting the codes P0420, cat efficiency low. I got this after one drive after resetting the computer. I looked though the monitors and this is what I found:

"Monitors are ready.
Misfire Ok
Fuel System Ok
Comp Com Ok
Catalyst Ok
Heated Cat N/A
EVAP System No
2nd Air system N/A
A/C N/A
O2 Sensor Ok
O2S Heater No
EGR system Ok"

I'm confused, it says "Catalyst Ok" but pops a P0420 code, but says no to EVAP and O2S. Does a "No" mean the monitor is not ready or it failed? Does N/A mean it's not ready or it doesn't have it or....?

I'm trying to learn something here so don't flame me for asking. I'm also open to suggesting on how to fix/what do do next. Cats are expensive so I'm saving that for last.

Thanks.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

N/A = not available, as in not equipped. O2 sensor may be working good, as Cat is Ok, but sensor may be slow in getting to operating temp, as in no heater,
Check O2 sensors, GM's, or most of them, have one wire from them, no heater.
If more than one wire, then it has a heater within the sensor to heat the tip. The heater may not be power as in a bad relay, no relay control to turn on the relay, or a broken fusible link/blown fuse or a bad sensor internally. But since the report reads Cat OK, PCM is reading the O2 sensors, pre- & post- and comparing the info collected.

'
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Daniel

Quote:
N/A = not available, as in not equipped. O2 sensor may be working good, as Cat is Ok, but sensor may be slow in getting to operating temp, as in no heater,
Check O2 sensors, GM's, or most of them, have one wire from them, no heater.
If more than one wire, then it has a heater within the sensor to heat the tip. The heater may not be power as in a bad relay, no relay control to turn on the relay, or a broken fusible link/blown fuse or a bad sensor internally. But since the report reads Cat OK, PCM is reading the O2 sensors, pre- & post- and comparing the info collected.
It has a four wire setup, at least the post cat one is.

"But since the report reads Cat OK, PCM is reading the O2 sensors, pre- & post- and comparing the info collected"

Does this mean that the sensors are good and my cat is bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode