Distributor install question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 11, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Distributor install question

I am replacing my old HEI in a 350. Put it to TDC, rotor pointing on #1 cylinder, and removed. I am installing an MSD Ready to Run. However, it will not seat with the rotor pointing at #1- its seated pointing at #4, and the timing mark is right around 0. Do I just need to make sure that with the cap installed, whatever terminal the rotor is pointing at, that wire goes to #1? I am not an engine expert, so any help is very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 11, 07:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: Distributor install question

You could do that and follow the firing order 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 or use a long screwdriver and turn the shaft of the oil pump ( under the dist) counterclockwise until the rotor points to #1.

69 SS, 350/300 h.p., M-20, 12 bolt, matching numbers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 11, 07:33 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Because of the gear mesh, your rotor will turn when you install it. You want to start dropping it in with the rotor positioned counter-clockwise from where you want it to line up.

If your new distributor is an HEI, put a mark on the body that lines up with the number 1 post. Put a second mark 2-1/4" to the right of that mark. Turn the rotor counter-clockwise so the leading edge of the rotor is now lined up with your second mark. Hold the distributor over the hole so the vacuum can is pointing 45 degrees across the engine (towards the passenger side tire or so) and lower it. When the gears mesh, your rotor should rotate clockwise and the leading edge should line up with your number one post mark.

For a small cap, it's essentially the same but the second mark you line the rotor edge up with is 1-11/16" to the right of the #1 post.

Your oil pump shaft should not have moved when you removed the old distributor. However, just shine a flashlight down the hole and the slot in the shaft should be pointing at the #5 cylinder.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 11, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

So i looked down the hole, and the slot is looking at towards #1, but no amount of messing with it will get it to seat completely other than looking towards #4. So I turned it over like that until TDC again, and sure enough- its still pointing to the #4 cylinder. I am totally confused.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 11, 09:05 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

You stick a long screwdriver down the hole and turn the oil pump shaft wherever you want it. It has to be pointing at or around the #5 cylinder intake valve for the distributor to fully seat and land on #1 using the method I posted. You can draw a line on the end of the screwdriver handle parallel with the blade to make it easy.

If you rotated the engine only one turn so the timing mark is at TDC again, you are now at TDC for cylinder 6. You need to rotate the engine around one more time. Your crank turns twice for every one full turn of the cam.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 11, 09:25 PM
Senior Tech
Al

A couple of things:

- Just because the timing pointer is at TDC, it doesn't mean #1 cyl is in the firing positon. A 4 stroke motor hits TDC twice through a cycle - once firing and once exhausting. Make sure #1 is @ TDC firing (both valves closed)

- With dist in your hand, install the rotor and look at where it is pointing as compared to the oil pump drive . On every GM dist I have looked at, the oil pump drive and the rotor were lined up. Unfortunately, on every MSD dist I have looked at, they're not. So just eyeball it, and if the oil pump drive is at 12:00 for example, and the rotor is pointing @ 3:00, shine a light down the hole and line up the slot in the pump shaft with that relationship in mind. I hope that made sense!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 11, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Thanks for the advice all. Will give it another shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode