LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 11, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Cam Button Question

My engine:

>94' 350 2-bolt main
>Iron Vortec Heads
>Comp Cams Xtreme Engergy roller cam

So I found out after the fact that I maybe should have used a cam button when installing my cam. The cam was actually installed by the machine shop that did my engine. Nobody at the machine shop mentioned needing a cam button but the engine was delivered w/o the timing chain cover on it.

Here's why I'm concerned. I have a few issues with my engine that I'm trying to figure out and I'm a novice here so unfortunately I'm learning this stuff the hard way. I've got some kind of a knock happening... Now I've spun a bearing before so I know what that sounds like. This knock is coming from the front of the engine area and doesn't sound like its low. So... I don't have a cam button on my cam. Is there any chance its walking and causing a knock sound?

I can't figure out what else it could possibly be really... It doesn't really sound like a lifter or a "ping/tick" its more of a low knocking sound and is really only noticeable at idle and on the down rev after i let off the gas.

My engine is also running REALLY rich but thats another discussion! Thanks guys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 11, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Cam Button Question

For a '94 block and non-retro roller cam which is what they should've used, no button is required. It should have had a retainer plate on the front. It would be behind the cam gear so you might not see it right off.

The cam on the right is a non-retro (OEM type) roller. You can see how the retainer plate holds it in.

One thing that can make noise if you are running a mechanical fuel pump is putting a bronze tip fuel pump pushrod in if you do not have a billet cam. A regular stock type cast roller cam will eat the bronze off.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; Apr 1st, 11 at 07:51 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 11, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ok I do remember seeing that. So I guess I'll cross that off the list... Would a header leak sound like a knock?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 11, 08:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Cam Button Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmoyer26 View Post
... My engine is also running REALLY rich but thats another discussion! Thanks guys...
Uhmmmm - no, it's not
How long has it been "running REALLY rich"

Have you had a good mechanic listen to it - and concentrate on noises from the front cover area ???

Is this a mechanical of electric fuel pump engine (I know it's a 94, just asking...)

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Its been running rich since day one. I've only had this thing running a few times as I am restoring the car and am just now gettin it actually running for the first time.

I say its running rich cause it smells up the whole garage and the whole house. I also can't get this thing to idle down less than 1500 RPM... You think the "runnin rich" issue is causing detination or something like that? Hmmm I didn't even think about that. I don't know if detination is the right word but it would make a lot more sense! The machine shop built the engine and all I did was basically bolt on the carb and heads plus the accessories... I'm having a really hard time believing the engine spun a bearing or something like that and the knock isn't bad enough to be a rod. The knock doesn't sound like a metal on metal type of knock. It sounds more like a knock you'd hear if a car was stalling or something like that.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 06:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Your machine shop couldn't have left out a bearing could they? Na.
It would help to know where the sound is emanating from. (did I say emanating?)
An old-school trick is to use a wood dowel or short wood pole such as a squeegee handle. With the car running press the wood dowel against your ear canal. Touch the other end against various parts of the engine. You WILL hear a lot of stuff going on in there. It's really neat. Or you could buy one of those metal tipped stethoscopes made just for this job.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 07:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
Your machine shop couldn't have left out a bearing could they? Na.
It would help to know where the sound is emanating from. (did I say emanating?)
An old-school trick is to use a wood dowel or short wood pole such as a squeegee handle. With the car running press the wood dowel against your ear canal. Touch the other end against various parts of the engine. You WILL hear a lot of stuff going on in there. It's really neat. Or you could buy one of those metal tipped stethoscopes made just for this job.
Or a piece of water hose. Makes a good stethascope.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 11, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Couple new things to add...

1.) My oil preasure seems really high to me. Its settling in around 85psi roughly and thats just a regular stock oil pump. Nothing fancy...

2.) I have a Flowmaster header back exhaust system tacked up. I noticed one side of the exhaust is noticably cooler than the other at the tailpipe. Its cool enough that I can grab the tailpipe bare handed while its running and not even really feel all that warm. The other side is pretty warm, I can't hold onto it long...

When I built this engine, I replaced just about everything BUT....the factory HEI distributor. My plug wires are brand new and they are good. I've also sprayed carb cleaner all over the intake and around the carb base to check for vacumm leaks and I'm coming up with nothing... This thing is running rich AND its missing here and there. I'm starting to suspect the distributor.

Thoughts? Am I crazy here?

I'm kind of worried about the oil preasure. Wonder if thats a huge issue? I REALLY hope I don't have to pull this engine... Not too excited about doing that all by myself again. hahah

Thanks guys!

-c
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 11, 07:23 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Sounds like it may have the bearings in wrong or too little clearance. Oil pressure is basically an indicator of resistance to flow. 85 psi seems excessive.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode