496 Build help - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 11, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
George

496 Build help

Let the flaming begin!
OK well i am planning on building a 496 BBC for my 69 camaro but have never built and engine before. I honestly have no idea what im doing and just do not want to screw up on the engine. I have used the search button and google (believe it or not) but i just got even more confused becase i have gotten so many different opinions Now my goal is to make a 496 bbc to run only on the street(never going to be tracked), i want the engine to make around 625+ HP @ ~6400 RPM and 650 FTLBS TQ @ ~5500 (or something close to this) RPM, i need it to run on pump gas (91 octane) and im planning on using it with a brand new th400. I want to build it the most cost efficently (budget) way possible or under $8500 (becasue i could just buy a crate engine for around the same price). I don't know what gears or anything i should be running for teh street so any help would be greatly appreciated. So now the main question is can you guys please help me put together the engine. I am really sorry for the question but after reading so many opinions im out of it. Thanks for your help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 11, 01:37 PM
Senior Tech
mark

Re: 496 Build help

I fully understand wanting to build your engine. however a $8500 first attempt is a pretty big undertaking. you asked for options and/or flaming so here goes. contact vortecpro engines. here or on team chevelle. thats all I have to say about that. mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 11, 08:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

Call Mike Lewis (www.lewisracingengines.com). He guided me through my 496 build up.

-Randy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 11, 10:26 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

If you're on a smaller budget and you have a worthwhile machine shop locally, see if they have a good 454 block core, preferably a 4-bolt version.

Then get a stroker Scat 9000 series crank (appox $300), some good 6.385" rods and matching forged pistons and take it to your machine shop. Your machine shop should be able to build you a 496 short-block for around $2500-3000 depending on what he charges you for the core.

There are a few other details (such as possible clearancing of the block for the stroker parts) but the rest isn't much different from building any other BB.

But I have to ask, is your car set up for 625 HP? Above 500 HP, you have to upgrade about everything from the radiator to the rear axles, and most everything inbetween.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
George

Ok thankt you all for the help so far. Ill def. have to call Mike L. and i checked out vortecpros website and saw a 496 that put out 650 HP/660 TQ for around $7400 and one that make 700 HP/675 TQ for $7500. So if anything their engines are prob made of great parts but ill prob still be out looking for more information before we begin this project. And Straight-Line-69, thanks for the help thats teh kind of information i was looking for but, at teh end when you ask if the car is going to be built for the power, did you mean 500 rwhp or the engines amount of HP becase if you meant rwhp i was kinda of assuming the lose through the automatic drivetrain would help lower it to around 500 HP. more information about that would be greatly appreciated. But thatnk you all so far for the help.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 06:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dan

Can't go wrong with Mark Jones. I would have liked to say I built the engine but in the end I can sleep better knowing I have a solid engine from someone who can build them in their sleep!
X2 ....is your rad and driveline up for the task?

67 RS convertible
Mark Jones 496...690hp
Liberty modified TKO600
Holley HP EFI
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 09:17 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

you gotta atleast let machine shop do lower end --373 gear would be good no more than 4.10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode