I have a couple questions - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
adrian

Question I have a couple questions

hello i have a stock 454 and about to do the following changes: cam and lifters xe 274 lift .552/.555 and it comes with a double chain but says non roller?, performer rpm intake oval port, hooker headers, 373 gears, and a b&m tork master convertor. now my questions are. has anyone run this cam? how does it sound and perform, would it work good with this set up, would i have to change pushrods with this cam and if so what size is recommended? and does a stock 454 idk the casting number but i believe its a 70 or 80's model come with oval or square port heads so i can match that intake correctly. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 02:59 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: i have a couple questions

Take off the Valve Covers and tell us the Casting # of the Heads give us the Engine Code found on the front of the Psgr Side Deck.

Generally 454's have approx an 8.5:1 Static Compression ratio with Oval Port heads and responds best with somewhere around a 266 to 270 Cam. Although you have 3.73 Gears and a Hole Shot - I think the 274 Cam is somewhat too big.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
adrian

casting number is 361959 and the number on passenger side is c17 79 i believe its hard to tell the last digit and casting number on valve cover i cant get becuz this is my daily driver at the moment and i have things to do still and its like a sand storm outside and i have an open garage and in the time it took me to figure out those number my chrome valve covers look brown now lol

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
adrian

the casting number could end with an 8 also its hard to see its last digit also
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 07:15 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

361959 is the Block Casting for a 454/73-90/2 or 4 bolt. c17 79 is a date Stamp for March 17th 79.

What we need is the Cylinder Head Casting Number to determine the Type of Head and Chamber Volume which will give us an idea of what the Static Compression Ratio is.

The Engine Code is behind the Alternator on the protrusion of the Psgr side Block Deck. This will supply us with information as to what type of vehicle the Engine came out of.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
adrian

okay ima do it il just get a ride with sumone lol let me go get those numbers right quick, and i found sum more letters and number to the right of the casting number on the block its giv t12 im not sure if the g is correct tho it might be a C
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
adrian

okay numbers from heads are 336781 idk if the second 3 is a 3,b, or 8 its to close to the first 3, and it also has the word PASS stamped on the head, and also GM9T stamped, and also A23 76,
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 09:01 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

781s are rect port and very common early style head --in your case the heads flow good but the cc is large -so your compression is low--like he said about 8.5---i like your combo but you need more compression some how for that cam need 10.5-not gonna get there by milling heads
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
adrian

everywhere i have read and everyone i have talked to told me 781's are oval port and open chamber?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 03:40 AM
Senior Tech
darrell

Re: I have a couple questions

rect- open port 119cc
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 05:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: I have a couple questions

336781 are oval port heads with open chambers (113 cc)...1973 - 1985 454CID.

Mike
U.S Air Force Retired
68 RS/SS, 396 BBC .060 over, M-20, 373 12 Bolt, factory color Island Teal blue, redline bias ply tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode