Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967
Exhaust Pop

I was at the body shop today to see my car get some color (greta news--I should have it back in a couple of weeks)!

My concern stems form the fact that when they started it up to move it formt he prep area ot the paint booth, the exhaust was popping (backfiring) a little bit...

What could cause this (it was not backfiring when I brought it to the shop in the beginning of November?

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 09:05 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

Re: Exhaust Pop

missing some info but assuming its the 383--probably needle and seat on carb from setting check plugs --might be dist but dont know what u got
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 09:33 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

If it sat for five months and didn't make any noise I'd be more worried....and I'd be checking the odometer.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I'd guess they started it a few times to move it then shut it right back off. Probably a gas-fouled plug, which should clear up when you drive it and get it up to temp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 11, 10:16 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Firing up cars in a paint shop.....hmm thats not good practice for a starter
Yep I would check the odometer...u did take a reading /cell pic?
And checked the rear tyres...that they are not now attached to the inner gaurds.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 11, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Odometer is right...107 when I dropped it off, 107 and some change yesterday!

Tires don't seem any worse for wear than they were when I dropped it off...

Car was outside when it was started, backed up, then pulled into the bay with the paint booth...The shop has multiple bays (all accessible from the outside), and was moved around the property slightly, as needed...

Hopefully just a fouled plug...I'd hate to get the thing back and have it run like crap all the way home once it is done at the body shop!

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 11, 04:32 AM
Senior Tech
George

Be sure to check it out prior to driving any distance, as I have had valves begin to sieze in the guides, when the car was started multiple times (for a short time, to move) and not allowed to circulate the oil (or be brought up to normal op temps). Strangely enough, I had this issue while it was at the body shop as well, and was being moved around to the various repair stations. I had to pull the heads and install some valves and guides to repair. I hope this isn't your issue, but I would be very concerned if your engine is fairly "fresh", with close tolerances. Just be sure, to prevent any possible progressive damages. The simplest check would be to perform a compression test prior to driving - hopefully everything is OK, and just as others have posted (possible fouled plug, etc.).
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 11, 03:16 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Vacuum leak
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 11, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Most likely of all is dust, espec that long a time in a paint shop
Good oil change, set plugs, clean HT dizy etc, grease the nipples, fresh water
and I will lay odds its good to go.
What is suprising and is very common under these circumstances is the battery dies.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 11, 03:59 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Raw gas dumping into Exhaust probably from a miss firing plug then ignites and pops in the exhaust. Sometimes an Exhaust leak before the mufflers (Blown Collector Gasket) does the same thing when you let your foot off the gas. The incoming Air Super heats and Ignites the unburnt fuel in the pipes when the throttle is suddenly closed but this usually happens when the Engine has reached temperature - great way to blowup mufflers ;o)

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 12:55 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

Engines are so inefficient at start up I can't even stress enough.
My cousins LS motor runs fat on a fat tune and for the first couple of minutes until the cyl. temps get hot enough some fuel will get past ignition and pop in the heating exhaust. Totally normal. Probably happened all along just didn't realize it until you were in a building where stuff sounds different.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Most likely of all is dust, espec that long a time in a paint shop
Good oil change, set plugs, clean HT dizy etc, grease the nipples, fresh water
and I will lay odds its good to go.
What is suprising and is very common under these circumstances is the battery dies.
Battery is dead...they had to put a jumper box on it to start it...

got good paint, though...striping it this weekend, then re-assembly...

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 06:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15CAM View Post
Raw gas dumping into Exhaust probably from a miss firing plug then ignites and pops in the exhaust. Sometimes an Exhaust leak before the mufflers (Blown Collector Gasket) does the same thing when you let your foot off the gas. The incoming Air Super heats and Ignites the unburnt fuel in the pipes when the throttle is suddenly closed but this usually happens when the Engine has reached temperature - great way to blowup mufflers ;o)
Ron, speaking of blowing mufflers, did you ever cruise town with your folks car, coast down a hill, turn off the ignition and then turn it on again?

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 06:33 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

What color is that? Kinda looks like Electron blue and a little darker than Viper blue... Is it an original Camaro color or different? Haven't seen a stock 67-8 color that shade before, looks good, closest I could get to a dark blue for mine was viper blue or the electron blue from newer cars, looks good!

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace's68 View Post
What color is that? Kinda looks like Electron blue and a little darker than Viper blue... Is it an original Camaro color or different? Haven't seen a stock 67-8 color that shade before, looks good, closest I could get to a dark blue for mine was viper blue or the electron blue from newer cars, looks good!
GM had two names for it--on the corvette, it was called "Lemans Blue (2004),
and on other models, it was Luxo Blue (2004)

Getting GM white diamond Z-28 stripes this weekend)...

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode