stock windage tray? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
topher

stock windage tray?

I just had the 383 broken in and a few runs on the dyno.400hp/400ft.lbs. I am using the stock oil pan with built in baffle. Had a small leak in front of pan so i'm pulling the pan. A friend has given me a stock gm windage tray including the studs to replace the main cap bolts with. The engine bolts are all ARP, but i am not sure about the main bolts. They do not say ARP and instead have an X as the only mark identifing them. Have had no luck with a search.

anyone know what the X means?

is the gm stud as strong as the X bolt?

do I really need a windage tray for a street cruiser?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil pan 006.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	21693  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: stock windage tray?

GM studs are fine. You will need a 6-qt pan to provide clearance or an aftermarket oil pan.

Use mechanical locknuts for the tray to studs, unless the nuts were provided. i have used Nyloc® nuts without a problem.

Deep socket is not dep enough for the torque wrench to torque the bolt/stud. You can use a box end crows foot and attach it to the torque wrench drive at a 90° to be on the same centerline for reading the correct torque.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 06:44 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

I'm a fan of windage trays and have used them on pretty much everything.
I don't know if this is the reason but a friend of mine had a really hot 362" sbc built, it is a solid flat tappet cam and he used an aftermarket pan with a tray and trap doors etc and his cams kept going flat, they were somewhat radical which may have been the culprit but his builder said since he drives it primarily on the street the tray was preventing the crank/rods from lubing the cam lobes... Something to consider I guess? But I've never had a problem with stock gm trays.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
topher

I must have a 5 qt. stock pan. It looked really close when I measured the clearance. I will have to decide if the tray is worth buying a new pan. The nuts were gold and he said they were grade 8, they were seperate from the studs..no lock nuts. Will use the Nyloc if I do it. Deep socket IS too shallow, I'll pick up the crows foot. Thanks Everett.

AJ, good to know I will keep that in mind. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode