Cam recommendation - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 11, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Jeff

Cam recommendation

Well been a long time since i have touched the motor and its been out of the car for years. want to freshen it up and would like a little bit stronger cam One i took out is an older Crane Cam HMV278-2-NC. Heads are older Sportsmans II with 64CC and pistons are 30 over flat tops with reliefs cut into them. Dont want a real drastic cam but one that will sound nice if you know what i mean and can still be driven in traffic.

Mahalo

Jeff
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS,
PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 03:00 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: Cam recommendation

What is the engine size ? 350 ? 327 ? 383 ? 400 ?

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 04:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Re: Cam recommendation

Check out Comp Cams site. They now offer a free cam selection guide.
And about time.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 04:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Send a message via Yahoo to trhack0214

I just put in a Comp Cam with a .501 lift. It sounds mean but not to big of a lobe that you would need to keep giving it gas to to stay at just idle. Ill try and get a part number and maybe a sound clip.

1969 Camaro

Chevy 350 w/.30 over///Comp cam hydraulic cam
Comp cam hydraulic lifters///Pink push rods
AFR heads///Victor Jr manifold
750 DBP Holly carb///Aluminum roller rockers

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 11, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
What is the engine size ? 350 ? 327 ? 383 ? 400 ?
sorry its a 350 +.030 over with flat top pistons. Intake is a Performer RPM with a Elderbrock 8867/600 CFM carb. Roller tip rockers 1.52.1

Also motor didnt have very many miles on it but since its been sitting so long i want to go thgough it and since it will be all apart would a honing be good and a new set of rings and all bearings of course.

Tranny is a T-499 with B&M shift kit, rearend geared at 3:73 Not sure of what the converter is since it was in the car when bought. Again long time since it has spun so that will be replaced as well. Ideas on that as well?

Jeff
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS,
PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 11, 05:24 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

OK so we're looking at a 4.030" Bore - 3.49 Stoke - 64cc head - Shim .018" x 4.100" Head Gasket - Pistons .025" down in the Bore - Flat top -5cc Pistons which should give you approx a 10.3:1 Static Compression.

So now you want a Cam with an intake duration that will get you close to an 8.2 DCR for Pump gas. I would say a 278H-10 cam should give you approx an 8.24:1 DCR & an 280H-10 cam would give approx an 8.17:1 DCR. A 280H (or S) 10 Cam would probably be more Gas Pump Friendly and put the power band a little higher. If that 278 cam does NOT Ping now I would tend to stick with it; on the other hand, you can easily go as Hi as a 282 Cam with an 8.1:1 DCR without issues.

Cam selection isn't only about DCR Vs Pump Gas - Lots has to do with Gear Ratio's and what you want to do with your ride.

P. Kelley's DCR Calculator can give you a good starting point to pick a Cam Found here: http://www.empirenet.com/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode