Zinc additive?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Hector

Zinc additive??

I have a stock 86 454 ( with about 15k miles)in my camaro..(brought the engine used) with a flat tapet cam.. I was just using regular castrol 10w40 motor oil...And wondering if it's OK..

Do I need to add the zinc additive??

68 Camaro Coup, BBC ,2457 headers, th400 , ford 9", Hotchkiss connectors,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech
Terry

Re: Zinc additive??

If I had a high dollar flat tappet cam engine, I'd step up to the plate and add ZDDPlus to the oil. 4 0z bottle is $10 and treats 4-5 quarts of oil. For some piece of mind, I've been addding STP Oil Treatment with ZDDP with each oil change to my '68's L48. STP declares, "if you use one 15 oz bottle to 4-5 qts of oil, it will provide the same protection as the older motor oils provided. The amount of ZDDP in STP is proprietary." So far so good. Fingers crossed. Knock on wood.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to society. The optimist invents the automobile, the pessimist seat belts, head rests, disc brakes, and air bags.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 09:16 PM
Senior Tech
alex

Hector You have to use an additive like zddp plus or camshield 2 of the best with the oil you are using now to protect the cam and lifters . On the other hand if you buy a specific motoroil like SPECTRO SUMMIT ORsomone like Scheaffer that was made with the right ammount of zinc and phosphorus then you do not need additive. Check out SCOTT WHEATON,S STICKY on motor oil and camshaft breakin very informative and he has been on this since all of this B S started with cams going bad and the oil issues. We all owe him thanks for his work on the subject. Check out some of my posts on team camaro and chevelle i also wrote on this subject as to what a couple of companies did . ALEX

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 11:33 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

i 3rd on additive
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 11, 12:00 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

So, if I have a roller cam do I need to use addatives with regular oil?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 11, 12:03 AM
Senior Tech
harvey

i use S.T.P. when i changed my oil never knew it had the zinc in it that's great good to know.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 11, 12:16 AM
Senior Tech
darrell

havent heard of any problems with rollers--not in a roller
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 11, 05:19 AM
Tech Team
Darren

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON MAN View Post
If I had a high dollar flat tappet cam engine, I'd step up to the plate and add ZDDPlus to the oil. 4 0z bottle is $10 and treats 4-5 quarts of oil. For some piece of mind, I've been addding STP Oil Treatment with ZDDP with each oil change to my '68's L48. STP declares, "if you use one 15 oz bottle to 4-5 qts of oil, it will provide the same protection as the older motor oils provided. The amount of ZDDP in STP is proprietary." So far so good. Fingers crossed. Knock on wood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink panther View Post
i use S.T.P. when i changed my oil never knew it had the zinc in it that's great good to know.
A VOA was performed on the red bottled STP (refer to link, post# 53) and looking at the results this stuff is pretty much worthless (for zddp) unless you just want to thicken your oil. Cam Shield or ZDDPlus is your best bet (when using an additive).

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...ght=STP&page=4

Darren
71 Chevelle 496
CFM Ported Stage 5 Brodix RaceRites 310cc
10.5cr
Ultradyne Solid Roller 256/264 .660/.660 108lsa
CFM Ported Victor Jr/Pro Systems 1000HP
T-56 Magnum
12 Bolt TrueTrac 4.56 gear
30x12.5 ET Street Radial
525++ rwhp
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 11, 05:29 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

It's a good idea to use an oil with more then average ZDDP in a Roller Retro-Fit FT Block with lifter bores that haven't been trued as you still have to contend with Cam-Walk Forces that tend to be hard on the Lifter Roller Pins - Especially if you running 200/500 ftlb and over springs. Crower HIPPO are Good Lifters but the ISKY Red Zone EZ Roller seem to be the choice for long lasting Street SR Lifters these days - Both are Expensive.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 11, 09:23 PM
Senior Tech
George

Just picked up 7 quarts of Brad Penn breakin oil for my 406 im getting ready to fire up!
Do a lil looking into this oil fantastic stuff and has the zinc needed for your engine!

By profleetline at 2011-04-11

1948 Chevrolet Fleetline Areosedan PRO STREET!
406 Solid Roller motor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode