Motor built 10 yrs ago - never fired yet-Q's - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rich

Motor built 10 yrs ago - never fired yet-Q's

Well my 69 Z has been a back burner project(never ran since bought in 87) and the 302 I built has been sitting unfired for at least 10 years. I am thinking about lube and the first fire up, I have a old distributor that I use as a preluber so I plan on doing that, then turning engine over and doing it some more and also adding ZDDPlus to the oil, I was wondering if any one had any other suggestions before I attempt to start it?

69 R/S Z/28 302 X33 D80 late 09C
69 T/A clonification LS6-6speed under construction
15 ZL1
64 Chevelle wagon 6.0l planned sons toy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 08:04 AM
Tech Team

Re: motor built 10 yrs ago - never fired yet-Q's

Valve springs compressed for 10 years can't be good for them. Just a thought!

'69 SS 350! Bored .30 over and mated to a turbo 350 auto. 383 going in next week and a T-56 6 speed later this winter. Stock 10 bolt with drums on all 4 corners. Matts Classic Bowties full suspension/disc kit coming soon as well!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 09:36 AM
Senior Tech
alex

Re: Motor built 10 yrs ago - never fired yet-Q's

Rich .Dont be too quick about changing things my 70 s/s sat for 23/24 years and i got it running with a new set of plugs a set of points agood battery and some new gas. This is what i did two weeks before i started it i rolled it out of the garage .First i rigged up an electric fuel pump to suck out the gas from the tank. I got about 7 gals of orange stale gas but it was not as bad as i expected. Second i pulled all the plugs and sprayed w d 40 in all the holes with the nozzle attachment .I then went around again after an hour with a squirt can and MYSTERY OIL 3/4 good squirts each hole. I then put the old plugs back in finger tight let it sit a week. I then removed the plugs and with a good battery cranked it over everything turned and sounded fine. new plugs fresh gas and new points and she ran like i shut it off the day before no lifter tick and the oil was also 23 years old but fresh when i put the car away in 81. After it ran for a half hour i shut it off and then started to get it ready to drive again about 3,500and 8/9 weekends of work and we were back on the road since then i have spent every year and its been fun.Funny no matter how old you get when you get behind the wheel of something from your youth you feel 18 again .Hope this helps . ALEX

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rich

thanks for the suggestions I will lube the cylinders too. BTW this is a new built engine and cam will need broken in too. no gas in car ever

15 ZL1
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 01:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Look into what you should do to break in that new cam......I've heard that you have to initially run the engine at 1500 to 2000 rpm's for the first 15 to 20 minutes.

69 SS, 350/300 h.p., M-20, 12 bolt, matching numbers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 02:00 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

New flattappet break in 2000-2500 RPM's for 20 minutes. No idling, get it fired and get the RPMs up. Have a fire extinguisher handy as well as a garnden hose, to keep the radiator cool if needed. You do not want to shut it off unless you have to. If you do have to shut it off, once you fire it back up get the RPMs back up until the 20-30 minutes at 2000-2500 has been met. Change the oil and filter after break in.

A little lube in the cylinders (WD-40 works fine), spind it over by hand a few times, while pre-lubing it and you should be good to go.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 04:49 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

I have been wondering the same thing. I bought my crate motor close to 7 years ago and have not fired it yet. Hoping to this summer. I guess the motor doesn't know how long its been sitting.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d View Post
New flattappet break in 2000-2500 RPM's for 20 minutes. No idling, get it fired and get the RPMs up. Have a fire extinguisher handy as well as a garnden hose, to keep the radiator cool if needed. You do not want to shut it off unless you have to. If you do have to shut it off, once you fire it back up get the RPMs back up until the 20-30 minutes at 2000-2500 has been met. Change the oil and filter after break in.
sorry, I was already to do this - I have broken several new cams in but not after its been sitting this long. guess its good for first Timers to see this. and I had one go bad on my 460 F+%& Torino and it really did a lot of damage all bearings, oil pump, cleanup block and pistons - second time I did it with only the outer valve springs- live and learn

15 ZL1
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 09:58 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

me personally i would remove valve covers and spray oil on guides and if you can find a pencil light to see in cylinders-if you see any rust -spray some marvel mistry oil in cylinders and it set a day or 2 before spinning over--man a true 302 they are getting rare good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode