KMJ air gap intake for Vortec - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

KMJ air gap intake for Vortec

I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on some Vortec heads, but trying to do as much homework as possible first, i.e., pricing everything.

Anyone running this intake, or have any info on it? I'm considering it over Edlebrock intake in order to keep my costs down... Was looking for a GM air gap, b/c I read they're cast by Edlebrock , but can't find any used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-C...Q5fAccessories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 10:35 AM
Senior Tech
mark

Re: KMJ air gap intake for Vortec

you might do a search on racingjunk.com. you might also look at the weiand stealth air strike or the edlebrock performer rpm(non airgap). not sure if the weiand is for the vortec though. mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Yeah Weiand makes one specific for Vortec, which, purportedly, actually generates more HP than the RPM. http://www.autopartsdealer.com/weian..._content=rank7

Not a bad price, really. If I don't find a used one by the time I'm ready to install my heads, I'll probably just buy a new one. Never hurts to look around first though.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

http://search.reviews.ebay.com/KMJ-P...ANCEQ20JUNKQ21

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Yeah, that's bad juju... I was getting excited about the Weiand vortec intake, but, come to find out, Weiand is made -- at least some of it anyway -- in China, too. Drag.

Will definitely be waiting to find a used Edlebrock, or just splurge for a new one.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 11, 08:21 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

I was thinking of trying one of those intakes on my Vortec build.... Maybe not.

[U]1969 cloneish Z28

350,9.6 comp,Vortec heads,Crane 274ho6,rpm air gap,Flowmaster
HEI,Holley 600 DP,4 speed 3.11 first,Hotchkis suspension,3.08 rear... need posi.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 11, 08:40 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Weiand makes great intakes.
Honestly throughout the world it's all about the brand, and the more expensive vs. the next best are in reality made in the same place... for everything except car parts.
The hurricane and other knockoffs are probably the same castings, made probably in the same foundry, but you're paying for the edelbrock name, and finishing quality. The casts are kind of ruff on the off brands, but do function somewhat like the big named counterparts.

Check around for used intakes, if they weren't pulled off a hot motor and warped like a pretzel, they are still fine to use. I've re-used some of my seasoned intakes before with the same great results, good luck!

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 11, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace's68 View Post
Weiand makes great intakes.
Honestly throughout the world it's all about the brand, and the more expensive vs. the next best are in reality made in the same place... for everything except car parts.
The hurricane and other knockoffs are probably the same castings, made probably in the same foundry, but you're paying for the edelbrock name, and finishing quality. The casts are kind of ruff on the off brands, but do function somewhat like the big named counterparts.

Check around for used intakes, if they weren't pulled off a hot motor and warped like a pretzel, they are still fine to use. I've re-used some of my seasoned intakes before with the same great results, good luck!
Good things to consider, for sure. Since I'm not going for be able to finish my vortec build until this summer, I have plenty of time to wait for that particular used Edlebrock to come along. But if I can't find it, just going to buy a new one I guess.

BTW, where you at in Austin? Ever gO to cruise in at Cabella's down south or 1431 in Cedar Park? Would be cool to meet a fellow TCer.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 06:10 PM
keith

I will not buy anything from KMJ. I bought a water pump from them, it was machined so bad the alt. bracket would not fit. They gave me a rma# to send it back, plus a 15% restocking fee to return a defective part. That was 3 weeks ago I still do not have my money back. Worst on E-Bay.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 07:47 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
I will not buy anything from KMJ. I bought a water pump from them, it was machined so bad the alt. bracket would not fit. They gave me a rma# to send it back, plus a 15% restocking fee to return a defective part. That was 3 weeks ago I still do not have my money back. Worst on E-Bay.
Same here. Bought some roller rockers that had metal shavings in them. I paid for shipping back. They sent me more with shavings in them. Told me to send them back, I chose to take each one apart and clean myself. KMJ

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
intake, kmj, vortec

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode