Electronic ignition - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
dave

Electronic ignition

I am thinking about using a Pertronix Ignitor to replace the points and condensor in my 68 conv. 327/210 hp....what are the pro's and con's of doing this? any thoughts are appreciated......everything else is stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 04:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Re: electronic ignition

I use the Ignitor II. I can't think of any cons. The biggest pro is you don't have to worry about points adjustment any longer and if you get the Ignitor 3 for a little more money it includes multiple spark discharge and a rev limiter. You'd basically have a high output ignition comparable to an HEI in a stock looking package.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 04:41 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Has anyone used this system? http://www.lectriclimited.com/breakerless_se.htm I rarely hear it mentioned.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 06:08 PM
Senior Tech
gary

pertronixs is great, i put it in my 67 camaro 327 2bbl NO problemo bud
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 09:52 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

yep--it works great--may even feal a better response in the motor
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 10:33 PM
Senior Tech
Lane

Put one in my 68' 350.....better response, better idle....Go For It !!
Lane
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 11:49 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
may even feal a better response in the motor
Quote:
better response, better idle....
Ther is no such thing as drop a new dizzy in plug and play...that is plain simple BS
The chances of getting one out of the box that has THE CENT curve AND VA for your engine as astonomical

Esdpec considering most modern alternatives are pre set up for post EGR '74 engines wit ported vac...
If it does idle better or more power it is because it is over advanced
This subject , timing etvc etc ..has been thrashed to death use the search function.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 06:24 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Steptoe, what you said is true, but Lane and Darrell's ignitions might have been in such bad shape to begin with, that any reasonably functioning replacement ignition would have been an improvement (even one not completely dialed in).
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

This one looks EZ!.

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/..._Chevy_V8.aspx

Mike

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 08:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

As a kid, I threw a swap meet Accel dual point distributor into my '69 327/210 and it did feel better. Now I realize it was all because this distributor had a more aggressive advance curve than the stocker. I think this is what most people would feel when swapping distributors but not realize the reason why. But I also agree with Steps, that it was not likely correct for that engine.

The Pertronix kit, at least 6 years ago when I installed mine, came with shims to make sure that the endplay of the distributor shaft was within spec. Just one more thing to be aware of.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
dave

thanks for the input......i'll be installing the Pertronix this weekend
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 02:24 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

A dizzy is like a scope on a rifle...it bolts straight on, but still needs barrel sighting and range testing.
And timing is like shooting a deer on the run...get the lead time wrong and you either miss (engine doesnt start, or way to rough) or you have a day hike to run the deer down (engine runs ok, but since timing is out, like the deer, it dies a slow death)
Like a deer u have a 10" circle behind the shoulder...timing u need enough advance to get max cyclinder pressure about 15 to 18 degs ATDC by giving enough lead time.
And that lead time varies (hence the cent and VA adcance) as to DCR fuel type etc.
(just as a bullet weight and load varies)

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 07:19 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Has anyone used this system? http://www.lectriclimited.com/breakerless_se.htm I rarely hear it mentioned.
That's popular with Corvette guys with judged cars, as you can't tell it's been changed from the original points due to the single black wire between the distributor and the coil. They're very reliable - have never heard of one failing. They're marketed by Lectric Limited, but they're made by M&H Fabricators.

In spite of the advertising hype, neither the Pertronix nor the Breakerless SE drop-in conversions add any spark energy; they're just electronic switches instead of electro-mechanical (points).

JohnZ
CRG
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 08:55 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
I was bored and took a peek at their website. It was a refreshing change from the usual marketing nonsense that infests most ignition websites. It appears that an actual engineer wrote much of the "FAQ" type descriptions of this product, as there was some reasonably accurate descriptions of what actually happens in an ignition system. The most interesting part (to me) was that this system has dynamic dwell (a key item in any intelligent inductive ignition design, IMO) which helps to prevent excessive coil/module heating at low RPMs, but also bumps up the dwell time/angle at higher RPMs to maintain desired coil energy levels (most systems will lose energy as RPM increases due to the dwell being a fixed angle). An additional item is that the module will automatically shut off the dwell in the event that the engine stalls or the key is left on. Good for safety and battery life.
I don't have any vested interest or connection with this company. I was just impressed that they were confident enough in their product to actually tell the customer what it is, rather than just selling it because of some bling factor.

'69 427 ZL-1 5 spd
'84 355 turbo 6 spd
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 11:51 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Thyere is a thread about 3 months ago instructions and pics putting a GM HEI pick up and module in a piomts dizzy....quite cool.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode