Your thoughts on engine shop issues - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerod

Your thoughts on engine shop issues

I decided to have a local engine shop do my build, nothing special. I have given them all my parts, and almost $2,000 down to start. That was almost 2 months ago. I call and the first time they told me they will get it started middle of the following week as they were finishing up two other builds. I then called a week and a half later, and I was told that a few other motors came in needing done and I will be next. I plan on calling end of the week and telling them to get it done. Semms like they are putting others ahead of me. I know that they have regular customers, but makes me mad that they already have $2,000 to get started, but to me that is a bit of money. What you you do or say to them. They do great work and are very friendly and want them to do the build but this is getting old. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 10:40 PM
Senior Tech
John

Re: Your thoughts on engine shop issues

Should have a written contract with the estimate. Good luck.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 11:12 PM
Senior Tech
alex

Hi JEROD . Go to the engine shop unannounced with a pick up truck and ask them for two things . First your money then all of your parts. They may be nice and they may be friendly and thier work may also be good , when they get around to doing it . That,s just it right there when they get around to it .Apparently you are not important enough to warrant thier undivided attention and also they are not very good bussiness men. When i did this for a living and someone forked over two large up front on an engine job he got all of my attention and the VIP treatment. AL,S common rules of good bussiness.1 CASH PAYING CUSTOMERS COME FIRST 2 ONE IN THE HAND IS WORTH 4 IN THE BUSH. REMEMBER THESE WORDS JEROD THEY ALWAYS SERVED ME WELL also a nickel up front should have been good enough to get things rolling. Bare in mind the shop is not working on ROLLS ROYCE,S and the owners are not JOE SHERMAN BILL JENKIN,S OR JACK MERKELL . there are lots of good reputable machine shops that can do your engine in a timely fashion . That,s my 2 cents worth maybe i have the wrong way of looking at it , buuuuuttt i dont think so . Be smart go somewhere else. I didnt catch where you are from but if your near maryland go see BILL KOUSTENIS ADVACED AUTOMOTIVE. HE is a member here check out his posts GOOD MAN KNOWS HIS STUFF, and no i did not get paid to say that . Hope this helps.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 11:31 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Egine shops (2) we use down the workshop....
Full macining, dynamic balance..less head rebuild they turn around in about 3 to 4 days max....And they are in a different town about 20 miles away, they pick up and drop off.
Include assembly another day

The head shop down the raods, fully machine valves guides etc and he supplys parts 24 hrs.
No cash up front pay 20th the month.
All these shops have a top reputaion nation wide.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 11:41 PM
Tech Team
jim

Never give cash up front or at least never more than 30% of the qoute. They have your money so they aren't in a hurry. Also never tell a shop that your new car is under warranty. Tell them "I need xx repaired, how long will it take and how much will it cost? I need my car for work so if you could please do the job as soon as possible I would appreicate it."
When you pick up the car then show them the warranty otherwise you car goes to the back of the line because warranty work is guarunteed coin for the shop. When I worked for FORD all warranty was done when things were slow when nothing else was happening.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 04:07 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

I've never paid a machine shop in advance for any work - the parts I give them are more than adequate collateral for the work.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 05:32 AM
Senior Tech
Jess

Do waht Alex said and go get your parts. And make sure you are getting your parts and not other stuff... There are plenty of machine shops in Boston that will build your engine.... Also, get their warranty policy. You will be glad you did. You dont owe them any aplogies either. Just go get your stuff and YOUR MONEY!!!
Jess

Jess67
67 Camaro Blue 427, 4-speed, 12 bolt

67 Camaro 350, 200-4R, PS, AC, PB, IN PARTS
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 12:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

2 months is a joke. Go get your parts and money.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Do you guys have state or national tradesmen associations over there?
We have them in the building trade...Master builders Association, plumbers, electricans...AND moter trade MTA...To be a member one has to meet high critria..
Not only that the do disputes...and when they do, it is about keeping the trade association reputation right up to scratch.
And If one doesnt belong, its basically a cowboy, backyard operation.
So lets say it was NZ...you would ring up thr MTA general enquiry...have a chat...they then ring their member get their end...IF the MTA (as in your case considers more than a week too much) they will ask their member to return money/parts
If that doesnt happenm that day or next...the MTA will ASK you to fill in a disputes form.
It goes to the committee, and chance are it will go in your favour.
If the member then doesnt comply, they loose their membership, and be fined... the descision can also be up held by the court bailfs

MOST of the trade associations in NZ are great..they set stands of training, workmanship, fair trading etc....And those who are not like the Realestate institute has been for the last few decades, are pulling their socks up big time...because the Government has hit realestate agent with some heavy legistation lol

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerod

Thanks for your input. I called and talked to them the owner today. I was started earlier in the day and should be done next week. There are other machine shops here in IA but these guys are by far the best there is in my area, as there are four other machine shops. 3 year 20,000 mile warranty. Fully assembled and dynoed. Warranty cover street motors up to race motors. I thought by giving that amount of money down they would want to get it done, plus all the parts $1,200 or so also. Will never do that again. Thanks for the input. Thanks, Jerod
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 01:04 PM
Ted

anyone have Bill Koustenis Advanced Automtives phone number?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 04:08 PM
Senior Tech
SCOTTK

There is alot of machines shops out there! but which one do you choose? and can you
really trust any ol' machine shop. Alot of you guys do your own work on motors, but
what about the guy that really don't know that much about motors, will he get ripped
off? will his parts get put into his motor? you know what Im saying, its tricky picking
a good shop, thats why I think more towards crate motors, ya know what you get
for your money. Most are dynoed and ready to go. Maybe a little bit more money but...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumptruck View Post
anyone have bill koustenis advanced automtives phone number?
(301) 645-6400
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 12:09 AM
Senior Tech
darrell

good engine builders cant build without a machine shop help--i wouldnt buy a crate motor because i dont know what i am getting-i have personal preferance tolerances--like any good business--if they are good- the word gets out and speaks for themself and also how long they been in business
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 12:24 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
There is alot of machines shops out there! but which one do you choose? and can you
really trust any ol' machine shop. Alot of you guys do your own work on motors, but
what about the guy that really don't know that much about motors, will he get ripped
off?
Now that is a good question...
I dont know about over there but every town, suburb city in NZ and Aussie has a hot rod club... more than one.... I have about 10 in a 20 mile radius of me, and a lot of that space is a huge harbour....
Doesnt matter if it is cars, boats, roses, parrots....join the local club...u will soon find who to go to and deal with...and often get trade prices.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode