Rocker arm geometry with 1.6 rockers - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Rocker arm geometry with 1.6 rockers

I am trying to determine the correct pushrod length and have looked at a lot of threads on determining proper rocker arm ratio. It seems there are two different schools of thought. One is to focus on having the roller wear pattern centered on the valve steam. The second is to focus on having the wear pattern be as narrow as possible and not worry about the location on the valve stem.

Ideally I would think you want both but I haven't been able to accomplish this. I can get the wear pattern to be centered on the valve stem or I can get the pattern to be narrow but it is located near the exhaust side of the tip. I have seen some people can accomplish this but I can't. Which should I choose?

Also, does using 1.6 ratio rockers cause the most narrow wear pattern to be pushed out toward the exhaust side of the valve stem more than it would with a 1.5 ratio rocker?

Thanks for the help.

Matt

Matt
67 RS, 406 small block, TKO600, Moser 12-bolt (3.73)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 11, 05:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Rocker arm geometry with 1.6 rockers

Mocking up with an adjustable push rod and using a felt pen for valve stem tips, I would look for the most center and outer center of the valve pattern.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 11, 04:24 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Just thinking out loud but if the wear pattern is too far back towards the exhaust I'd think you'd need a shorter pushrod, that is assuming the geometry stays the same, if not my thinking could be reversed....

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 11, 10:09 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

don is right on the way to do it in my opinion-longer the push rod , goes to exhaust-main thing one is trying to do is stop wear and friction on guides--center is way to go-and womens lipstick sometimes works best and adjustible push rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode