Looking for a reman Quadrajet, recommendations? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 11, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Looking for a reman Quadrajet, recommendations?

So far I've found National Carburetors and Guaranteed Carburetors. Decent prices at around $170 with a core (which I have).

Anyone have experience with either of these guys, or with someone else you can recommend? My Quadrajet is just really old and leaking everywhere, so I'm just going to get a remanufactured.

1968 Arctic White Camaro 400 SBC M4
LS1 Brakes/IROC Box/Speedtech UCAs/Hotchkis Springs and Bilistein Shocks
Coming Soon: T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 11, 10:21 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Re: Looking for a reman Quadrajet, recommendations?

I've never heard of them, but I wouldn't trust any of the rebuilders. What they do is take parts from several carbs and make one good one; so you end up with mismatches. For instance:

1) Wrong jets, rods, wrong secondary rods (i.e., late rods on early carbs)
2) Tiny needle and seat (will kill performance)
3) Wrong float (brass floats in later carbs)
4) Wrong pull-off
5) Wrong choke valve shaft (some are slotted where the rod attaches; some are not)
6) Throttle plates with grooved seats for the butterflies (causes sticking)
7) Warped or cracked choke horns that should be in the trash
8) Missing accelerator pump check-ball
9) Accelerator pump rod installed in the wrong hole of the lever
10) Wrong rebuild kit (usually because the choke horn is from an early car for instance, the body from another year, and throttle plate from yet another year)

You'd be time and money ahead by finding a good core (is yours any good?), reading one of the Q-Jet books, and rebuilding your own carb.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 11, 10:53 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

National Carburetor has been around since 1954. They did a good job on the feedback carb I got for my Dad's '85 F150. Had one issue and they sent a next day delivery pick up ticket and sent the carb back to him next day. Their stuff is lifetime warrantied and engine tested.

They will rebuild yours or do a reman if that's what you want and you can talk to them before hand or put a note in the box for them to call you to let you know if it's worth rebuilding yours. I'd recommend calling them first since they can do performance builds based on your specs.

Before any of us got into the hobby there was lots of stuff we'd never heard of so that's no reason not to trust someone right off the bat.

About Our Quadrajet Performance Carburetors
Each core is handpicked from our climate controller warehouse, we do not use Junk Yard cores . Our Quadrajets carburetors have had all their circuits checked for proper sizing. Unit disassemble and check for cracks and The primary and secondary metering rods have all been calibrated and matched. The castings are dichromate or tumble polished rebuilder's choice unless otherwise specified. The carburetor then goes through 10 step cleaning process remove all asperities. Every unit is assembled with a complete rebuilding kit, Plus a new float, new choke coil and new choke pull off. The throttle shaft casings have been re-bushed to remove wear that causes vacuum leaks. After completion every unit is DYNO tested to verify proper idle, acceleration, and torque.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 11, 12:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

There's only one guy I let touch my Rochester's besides me ...
Sean Murphy
http://www.smicarburetor.com/products/productID/47

You'll get a carb tuned to your needs and ready to use right out of the box

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
Sean Murphy

Heh, I wish I set aside $300 for another carb, but it isn't in sight right now. Gonna have to go with one of these guys.

They list a 72 carb and a 75-78 carb for a 400 (and 350), is there any major difference between these 2 carbs? I'm not 100% sure what year it is. The guy who owned it before me said when he did some searching he found it was a 76 block, but I have nothing to verify , as the casting numbers aren't readable (the block was spray painted and I cannot make out the letters/numbers).

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 07:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Talking Re: Looking for a reman Quadrajet, recommendations?

Quote:
Sean Murphy

DIDO! X 10.....

Hes REALLY GOOD and dials your carb in for your specific motor... prices are excellent. Qjets dont have a very good rep but its only cuz people that have them and dont really understand how they work try to take theirs and tune it to make it better and usually only make it wose...
Im not mentioning any names tho,.... HARLEY.....

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 09:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Looking for a reman Quadrajet, recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicinity View Post
Heh, I wish I set aside $300 for another carb, but it isn't in sight right now. Gonna have to go with one of these guys.

They list a 72 carb and a 75-78 carb for a 400 (and 350), is there any major difference between these 2 carbs? ...

IMHO, it would be the best extra $300 you spent on the engine - but I do understand you needs at this time.

You want a Pre-75 carb!
Make sure the carb you're sent has a series number starting in '7' - not '1'.
The post 75 units are modified to allow for 'smog' tuning, they contain modified (smaller) metering components, a goofy 'Off-Idle'/part-throttle compensation system (APT) and are not as desireable for classic street performance vehicles in most applications.

Make sure they get you the correct type carb for your Choke system - most likely to be a 'Divorced' style if using a stock early Chevy manifold or Performer style aftermarkets.
Try to stay away from the 'electric' chokes if possible ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 11, 01:40 PM
Senior Tech
greg

Send it to Cliff's Quadrajets in Ohio. Just google it for the website. He does high performance rebuilds and has even authored his own book on the QJet. He does a lot of racing and testing with his 12 second Pontiac station wagon. Great place but may not be as cheap as you would like.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Quote:
IMHO, it would be the best extra $300 you spent on the engine - but I do understand you needs at this time.

You want a Pre-75 carb!
Make sure the carb you're sent has a series number starting in '7' - not '1'.
The post 75 units are modified to allow for 'smog' tuning, they contain modified (smaller) metering components, a goofy 'Off-Idle'/part-throttle compensation system (APT) and are not as desireable for classic street performance vehicles in most applications.

Make sure they get you the correct type carb for your Choke system - most likely to be a 'Divorced' style if using a stock early Chevy manifold or Performer style aftermarkets.
Try to stay away from the 'electric' chokes if possible ...
Damn. I ordered the 75-78 with an electric choke from GuaranteedCarburetors not one day after I made this thread.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 06:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I don't think you will mind the APT on your carb. I have one on mine and combined with my A/F meter I can dial it in pretty well.

Electric chokes on the other hand, can be the devil.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwilcar View Post
Send it to Cliff's Quadrajets in Ohio. Just google it for the website. He does high performance rebuilds and has even authored his own book on the QJet. He does a lot of racing and testing with his 12 second Pontiac station wagon. Great place but may not be as cheap as you would like.

Thanks Greg! I live only about 15 miles from that shop so I'll take a ride over and check them out. I was hoping there was a good carb place nearby!

1968 RS/SS

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 11, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Good news. GC are good people. I put the number on my Qjet on the order form, and apparently I selected the wrong year, so they switched my order for a pre-75 carb. Nice.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 11, 02:47 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

You'll find 74 and earlier Q-Jets muuuch easier to tune, especially if your engine has HP upgrades.

Good luck!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old May 8th, 11, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Got my carb. It's a really nice piece. Looks almost new (you can tell all the linkage is new). Fired it up and she ran great. Just in case anyone searching for info on GC, they're a good company, turn around time isn't all that well, I did have to wait like 2 weeks, but I got it.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old May 8th, 11, 09:36 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt

Quote:
Sean Murphy

Sean gets my vote!

Eye candy dialed in to my combo.

Before

After

Kurt
1969RS 14yrs into it.
383CID Lives
200R4 Trans, 3:42 Posi 12 Bolt Ready

Cold ones in the fridge. Dam, there gone. BRB

Getting closer to my goal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode