motor locked up - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

motor locked up

ive got a 350 in my 75 K5 blazer that i have not started in about a year. Yesterday, I bought a new battery and tried to start it. It cranked a little bit then it cam to a sudden stop. I dont think it made a complete revolution. What could have possibly stopped the motor? I tried to turn the motor from the crank pulley bolt but no go. I am planning on pulling the heads to take a look. I want to ad that it ran perfectly when i last ran it a year ago. It was rebuilt by a reputable rebuilder about 5 years ago and only has about 1500 miles on it.

angel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 10:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: motor locked up

Pull the plugs, check for coolant or water??
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

John, I forgot to mention the i did pull the plugs and sprayed the cylinders with lubricant. the plugs were dry.

angel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 10:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

The plugs may have been dry, but could have had some water sitting in a cylinder, and water won't compress and will definitely lock up the engine and bend rods if you push it. With the plugs out, will it turn over?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

bill, i pulled the plugs out so i can start it since i havent started it in a years. i sprayed lube in it since the cylinders were going to be dry. but it cranked maybe a 1/4-1/2 revolvution and stopper.

angel

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 10:54 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

with the plugs out?

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

yeah. they are still out and no go. im planning on pulling the heads to take a look but i was wondering if any of you might have an idea as to what it might be so i do not waste my time by pulling the heads

angel

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Before pulling heads, I'd do the following,
Pull the plugs, open the throttle, disable the ign, and have a lubricant ready in hand.
Remote starter button in place and as the engine spins over, squirt engine oil into every cylinder.
External charge battery, make sure cables are in good shape, large enough wire gauge, and fill the carb bowl with fuel.
Install plugs, undo WOT, and with a fresh battery try again.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 10:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Could be valves not closing as well. Stuck open and hitting pistons at top dead center. Pull the valve covers and make sure valves are opening and closing. You may be able to turn it by hand in reverse to check that out if it's already stuck.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

thanks guys. bill, i think you might be right. I forgot about that. It has been a long time since i concentrated my efforts on engines. I kept thinking about the rotating assembly. I will pull covers and take a look.

angel

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 11:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
steve

The previous posts are good advice,here's something else to check. I had a starter drive gear break and get wedged against the flywheel not allowing the engine to turn.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

Thanks steve. I have a tilton high torquemini starter. I was under the truck to look around since it has a 12" lift. The starter is not stuck but i think that since it is a high torque starter, i might have bent the valves since if that is the problem.

angel

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 02:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

You did have coolant in it, 30 deg can split a block, once the water has been boiled it will freeze, and expand quicker, I split a block 13 places a 30 deg. and the car was in the garage, test ran, put it back in garage, had water on the floor next afternoon!!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 03:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Just remember , if you have to do lots of work on this stock motor, I may be cheaper to buy a GM crate 350 crate motor and get going again.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

john, If we see 30 degrees here in the SF bay area, it is big news like a tsunami. 3 degrees is rare.

Im going to be selling the truck so it really not worth it for me to buy a motor for it and it really isnt a stock motor so id like to save it if i could so i can sell the truck with this motor

angel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode