cam lash - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 11, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

cam lash

When setting lash cold, do I lash tighter or more loose? It is a solid roller. My cam calls for 16 and 18.. Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 11, 02:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: cam lash

Unless the cam spec. sheet specifically say "Hot" lash - it is assumed that the spec. is for 'Cold'.

So your lash would be .016" Intake and 0.018" Exhaust set when 'cold'

Lash will 'tighten' as an engine warms.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 11, 04:15 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: cam lash

Set at .018 and .020....warm the motor to operating temp....re-check....then you'll know where you stand. Just don't go reving it until you're sure

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 11, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

If the hot lash is .016 and .018 and you have a pushrod engine with iron heads .018 and .020. Pushrod engine with aluminum heads .014 and .016.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 11, 06:52 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne payne View Post
When setting lash cold, do I lash tighter or more loose? It is a solid roller. My cam calls for 16 and 18.. Wayne
Really do need to know if your cam card specifies hot or cold lash.

Best bet is that it is hot lash,seeing how the cam manufacturer has no clue as to what thermal expansion is taking place with your individual application.

Fwiw..my lash increases .006" from cold to operating temp.Not unheard of with an aluminum bbc cyl head on a cast iron block.

I set my lash hot to spec and then recheck cold.The recheck is recorded and then used from there on for maintenance.

To summarize..lash will typically increase with tin heads and try to close up with irons.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Cam is a Lunati on a 468 with aluminum heads. Should I close the lash cold? Like 12/14..
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 02:48 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne payne View Post
Cam is a Lunati on a 468 with aluminum heads. Should I close the lash cold? Like 12/14..
Depends on what Lunati wants.Recheck your cam card and see if it specifies hot or cold.You could contact them if unsure.

If it is a hot lash spec..then tightening by .004" cold will have you close at operating temp.This is when you set them to spec(hot), and then recheck cold for future referance.

George
68 Camaro
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 02:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: cam lash

Actually - I believe most Lunati's do/did call for 'Hot' lash adjustment ...
Just set it to the recommended lash, start engine and warm to operating temp. and then re-check and set to recommended spec.s.
Yes, it's a lot of work - performance cost $$$ and takes more time

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 06:51 PM
Senior Tech
george

Like John said above^.
A couple of thou here and there is not going to tax the valvetrain while awating operating temp.

I set mine cold for ease and conveniance knowing how much the lash increases between start up and operating temp.Every application differs,its up to you to keep accurate records.

Yank the rocker covers a 2nd time to verify hot lash and then let her cool down overnight.Record the findings in the am and then reinstall the covers.I agree with John..the extra effort is worth it.

George
68 Camaro
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks guys, been mowing grass after work so I haven't had time yet but I'm gonna get on it this weekend...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 09:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

This WEEKEND!? You would rather mow grass than set valve lash??? Serious?

Sorry, back to the real world.
My SR is an HD Harold/Lunati. My heads are 074 open chamber aluminum.
Harold told me I could basically use any lash I wanted. He suggested to start at .025. Then go TIGHTER. Lunait's cam card says .015in .016ex. Both hot. What is with that??? Why not .016in and .015ex? What's the big deal??
Marlin Davis in Hotrod Magazine says with a SR in an aluminum headed BBC, START with about .009 and it will increase to .015 or so, when hot.
Sounds good. I did. It does.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 02:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joe

Pick yourself a side that the valve cover comes off easy. Set the front and rear cylinder Hot on that side(using the proper technique). Wait for the engine to cool off and re-measure the two cylinders. That is your cold setting. With aluminum heads and .020 hot lash, mine measures .013 and .016 cold. Good Luck!!

67 RS Convertible - 496 L88 appearing Motion tribute, 6 speed, DSE 4-Link, 9 inch, Forgeline wheels. Current status: suspension upgrades and paint ongoing.
72 C10 longbed - 565 Twin Turbo, 4L85E, Forgeline wheels. Current status: engine build and inter-cooled upper intake construction. still needs paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode