Can I use a sbc cam button on a gear drive timing set? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question Can I use a sbc cam button on a gear drive timing set?

I am going to be using a gear drive set, but also a retro-roller cam swap.

The retro roller cam kit requires the cam button to stop the cam from walking.

I have seen a gear drive set come with a cam button ... but I wasnt sure if it was the regular sized SBC one ( there is only one size right? ).

I am pretty sure the holes in the cam gear are the same on a roller type, and the gear drive type, right?

So I will just use the regular SBC type cam button, I wont need anything special?

THANKS ---

90' ZR-1 Lingenfelter Corvette #699
91' SYCLONE #512
01' VIPER GTS
03' Harley Edition f-150 #577

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 06:24 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: Can I use a sbc cam button on a gear drive timing set?

What Type and Make of a Cam Gear Drive are you planning to use?

The Hi-End Cam Gear Drives such as a Donovan are encased with it's own timing Cover which incorporates an Anti-Cam-Walk Device (Forward Thrust and Back Kick Wear Plate Devices).

The Wear Plates are setup first to position the Lifter Roller in the middle of the Cam Lobe and the Thrust Device is adjusted to prevent the cam from walking forward with a cam lash of approximately .004".

It's common practice to drill a 1/64" (1mm) hole in the PSGR Tappet Oil Gallery to assist Oiling the Cam Gear or Chain and a 1/64" hole behind the Wear Plates through the front Cam Boss into the 1st Cam Bearing Oil gallery to assist Oiling the Wear Plates.

I highly recommend you stack Lube Impregnated Washer Type Wear Plates, which can also be drilled with numerous Holes for lubrication, DO NOT USE the Torrington Units.

I would use a Coyles Roller Timing Chain over any of the cheaper floating gear designs like the Peter-Jackson units. In which case I recommend using something similar to the ISKY Timing Cover Unit which incorporates a Hole Through Timing Cover with an Adjustable Thrust unit that bolts to the Back of the Water Pump. Never depend on the stock timing cover to hold the forward cam walk force - if you do - Epoxy a Metal Shim on the back of the Water Pump that butts against the Timing Cover in front of the Thrust Button Type - Don't forget to drill the appropriate Holes, the Wear Plates and lock the Cam to within a .004" End Play.

Remember to use a Bronze or Composite Distributor Gear if the Cam is a Billet. You can spend a little more the have a Billet Cam Ringed with a Cast Gear and use the OEM Melonized Dizzy Gear. If the Cam is Cast use the OEM Dizzy Gear.

Except for the Donovan Cam Gear Drive Unit, Summit has all the Equipment I've mentioned.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Apr 19th, 11 at 08:58 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 11:55 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

everything ron said

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 01:04 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Z4C View Post
everything ron said
Second that. Unless you're dead set on using the gear drive, do some searches to view previous threads with the good, bad, and ugly of using them.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 07:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace's68 View Post
Second that. Unless you're dead set on using the gear drive, do some searches to view previous threads with the good, bad, and ugly of using them.
x3 and comments about the cast iron presson cam dist drive gear(Everwear) is correct, I am using the stock GM gear with my billet roller.
Also did the front timing gear oiling trick off the oil galley. Many miles on this set up with no issues after two teardowns. I am using the Cloyes Hex-adjust gear with chain and rigid Cloyes cover.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 07:57 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Yes you can use a cam button with a gear drive.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just looked at the set I have.

Its a Pete Jackson noisy dual idler SBC set ... and it came with a cam (thrust ) button. Looks to be steel?

I took a pic of it:

Is this all I need to use when installing a retro roller cam for the front of the cam/engine? Then a wear plate to adjust the roller lifters to the lobes on the cam?

Great tips on the drilling, thanks a bunch!!! ---

90' ZR-1 Lingenfelter Corvette #699
91' SYCLONE #512
01' VIPER GTS
03' Harley Edition f-150 #577

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 05:27 PM
Senior Tech

2X you can use the cam button with the gear drive...roger that

68 Camaro RS/SS, 454 BBC,TH400,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode