Carb gurus - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
ernie

Carb gurus

hey guys, i have a 4053 dz carb. i ordered a rebuild kit and when i got it there was only one power valve in it. does this carb have a power valve in the secondary metering block? its a vacuum secondary carb so there is no accelerator pump for the rear secondaries. thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 11:39 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

Re: carb gurus

one power valve in front only
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
ernie

Re: Carb gurus

thanks darrell..

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 10:22 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

The 4053 came with 2 power valves not one. The kits are generic 4150 kits and you always have to buy an 8.5 power valve for the secondary side.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 10:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Carb gurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
The 4053 came with 2 power valves not one. The kits are generic 4150 kits and you always have to buy an 8.5 power valve for the secondary side.
Well ... in the famous words of "the Duke" - 'Now that aint exactly true'

The 'problem' here Pilgrim, is that someones gone and done sold you the $25 #37-1542 kit - instead of selling you the correct $35 #37-1544 one
This is the kit with double power valves - http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/37-...oductId=743712

I mainly buy the $100 #37-1539 kits for doing a complete go through on one of these 4150's anyway.
Here's the link to the 4150 master kit - http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/37-...oductId=743712

Hope this helps

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

Last edited by Vintage 68; Apr 20th, 11 at 10:51 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
with that being said, what power valve do i need for the front? 8.5 also?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 03:00 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

John - kinda taking this thread off topic but of those 2, only the $100 one lists that it's for the 4053 and if you search Jegs for 4053 it only lists one kit (Holley 3-1016) and it only has one PV.

Do you know for sure the kit you show with 2 pv's has a 6.5 and an 8.5 pv in it? Are the metering block gaskets correct for 4053 carb?

And no I've never bought a 37-1542 kit for use on a 4053...

...Dennis

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
ernie

dennis, i bought the 3-1016 kit direct from holley. it had 1 power valve and the rear metering block gaskets were wrong.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 06:45 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernies 69 View Post
with that being said, what power valve do i need for the front? 8.5 also?
6.5 for the front and 8.5 for the rear...

Quote:
dennis, i bought the 3-1016 kit direct from holley. it had 1 power valve and the rear metering block gaskets were wrong.
I did 2 carbs back to back (one was a DZ 4053 and the other was a 375 hp 4346) and I'm fairly sure that's the kit I used on the DZ. It had extra gaskets and I want to say it had the right ones. It was a few years back though, maybe the kits have changed or I'm forgetting something.

Sounds like the kit John referenced might be the ticket...

...Dennis

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 10:56 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

yep they may be right -as far as power valve size,thats not one fit all--a base rule for front power valve --with timing set right and at best idle -take a vacuam reading at idle subtract 6.5 and that will get you close enough--with a 65 or 85 and a high duration cam,-your gonna have stumbling and idle problems
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 09:30 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Z4C View Post
yep they may be right -as far as power valve size,thats not one fit all--a base rule for front power valve --with timing set right and at best idle -take a vacuam reading at idle subtract 6.5 and that will get you close enough--with a 65 or 85 and a high duration cam,-your gonna have stumbling and idle problems
I've seen lots of stock DZ carbs rebuilt and put into service and working fine. A lot of purists wouldn't have it any other way. Against popular belief these cars ran fine the way they left the factory and dealers showroom. They may have left power on the table but they ran fine!

...Dennis

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
ernie

my motor is a 427, 10.1 compression, stock 396-350 heads, 396-375 solid cam,does the 6.5 rule still apply in this application? thanks guys
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 11:10 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
my motor is a 427, 10.1 compression, stock 396-350 heads, 396-375 solid cam,does the 6.5 rule still apply in this application? thanks guys
I have never heard of the 6.5 rule as stated above for power valves. The idea is they are a tuning item just like a jet, you don't want them to open at idle so you want to start at least 2 - 2.5 below your idle vacuum. From a tuning standpoint you can effect change by knowing at what point the PV opens based on the engines vacuum signal. Think about this, if you were to ask folks about removing the secondary PV they would tell you you can do it but you will need to jet up 8 sizes or more. Now imagine being able to control when all that extra fuel comes into play.

Being more conservative here is what Holley says and unless you are willing to put in the time to tune with the PV, I recomend you follow...

Quote:
QUESTION How do I tell what size power valve I need?
ANSWER To properly size a power valve, take a vaccum reading at idle and if it is above 12" for a standard transmission a 6.5" will be safe to use. For automatic transmissions take a vaccume reading in gear at idle and if the vaccum is below 12" divide that in half for proper size. Example 9" of vaccume in gear at idle will require a 4.5" power valve.

...Dennis

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
ernie

is that manifold vacuum or carb vacuum? or does it matter. im learning a lot here, thanks to all of you..
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 07:44 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
is that manifold vacuum or carb vacuum? or does it matter. im learning a lot here, thanks to all of you..
It's manifold vacuum - you can only get it on a 4053 from the angled nipple on the passenger side front of the baseplate that has the hose on it that feeds the choke pull-off diaphragm and the A.I.R. diverter valve, or you can use the vacuum fitting on top of the intake behind the carb. The distributor vacuum port just behind the right front stud is a "ported" source. The 3/8" nipple for the PCV hose is also a manifold vacuum source, but you want to leave it connected while you're tuning.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Znoaclcarb.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	21945  

JohnZ
CRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode