Having trouble fitting 502 into my 68 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Having trouble fitting 502 into my 68

Team, I am looking for advice regarding some trouble I am having fitting a new GMPP ZZ502 into my 68 coupe.

My car is in the paint shop in primer with the front clip off the car. As the firewall and frame is now painted, I wanted to fit the motor and gearbox to the car whilst the front was off. My car originally had a 454 when I purchasd it. Now the old 454 didn't leave much clearance between the HEI and the firewall, and as I didn't know the history of the car, I bought new frame mounts for the ZZ502 (Classic Industries 67 - 68 BB Frame Mounts #K702). I changed the pan to a Milodon #30955. So here's the thing, using the new frame mounts, the motor seems to have been positioned forward more than my old 454 with plenty of clearance between the HEI and the firewall, but the right side seems too short as the pan hits the frame before I can bolt up the mount. If I change to my old original frame mounts, they are tall enough to provide a sliver of clearance between the pan and frame, but the motor is pushed back further and the HEI is hard against the firewall. I have some pics for you which highlight my issues, but I am looking to understand which components I have wrong?

This is the problem with the old frame mounts

This is the right side old frame mount

Left Side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 03:39 AM
Banned
Bethanne

Re: Having trouble fitting 502 into my 68

Is the width of your new frame mounts wider than the original ones ?

The 67-68 frame mounts were about 2-5/8" wide and the 69 style were about 2-3/8" wide.

Your frame brackets should also be different; the drivers side is taller than the passenger side.

Interference with the firewall is normal for a big cap HEI, so the mounts that cause this may be the correct ones. There are small cap HEI's you can use; I wouldn't ding the firewall for clearance.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I believe the old mounts shown are for a SBC as Bethanne suggests, the pass side mount is half the height of drvr side. Offsets the engine to pass side by 3/4 inch.

Also, a BBC trans crossmember will be needed. They can be identified by having a 5-sided hole for the bolt access vice 4-sided hole as a SBC member has.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for your responses so far.

Regarding the new vs old mounts, from memory, they appeared to be the same width. The new mounts certainly positioned the engine forward and the drivers side mount was certainly taller, however whilst I could bolt in the left side, the pan would hit the frame before I could bolt in the right side mount.

As far as the frame stands pictured, they are the same which were used with the previous BB in the car, so I assumed they should be OK. I have seen many ZZ502's used in 68's with the HEI clearing the firewall, so I am wondering where have I gone wrong?

I should also mention that to settle our curiosity, we drilled new holes in the old mounts to buy us some clearance between the HEI and the firewall. A quick test fit seemed to indicate that this might work. Is there any reason why this is not a viable alternative? This is only a budget build so I am really trying to make do with what I have and I really can't afford to start buying other distributors, pans, etc.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 07:29 AM
Banned
Bethanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCamaroOwner View Post
As far as the frame stands pictured, they are the same which were used with the previous BB in the car, so I assumed they should be OK. I have seen many ZZ502's used in 68's with the HEI clearing the firewall, so I am wondering where have I gone wrong?
If you saw big cap HEI's clearing the firewall in other first gens, you probably didn't notice the dent in the firewall that made that possible.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 09:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

Quote:
Team, I am looking for advice regarding some trouble I am having fitting a new GMPP ZZ502 into my 68 coupe.

My car is in the paint shop in primer with the front clip off the car. As the firewall and frame is now painted, I wanted to fit the motor and gearbox to the car whilst the front was off. My car originally had a 454 when I purchasd it. Now the old 454 didn't leave much clearance between the HEI and the firewall, and as I didn't know the history of the car, I bought new frame mounts for the ZZ502 (Classic Industries 67 - 68 BB Frame Mounts #K702). I changed the pan to a Milodon #30955. So here's the thing, using the new frame mounts, the motor seems to have been positioned forward more than my old 454 with plenty of clearance between the HEI and the firewall, but the right side seems too short as the pan hits the frame before I can bolt up the mount. If I change to my old original frame mounts, they are tall enough to provide a sliver of clearance between the pan and frame, but the motor is pushed back further and the HEI is hard against the firewall. I have some pics for you which highlight my issues, but I am looking to understand which components I have wrong?
I think you are going to have to switch the oil pan.

If they actually sent what you ordered, you have the correct frame mounts. They pull the mounting point for a big block farther forward than small block mounts by 1/2 to 3/4 inch. That is why you are seeing more clearance than when you had small block frame mounts with your 454.

And as already mentioned, you may have to make some modifications to the crossmember.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 03:58 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Fwiw, even with a small block my firewall is dented to allow the big cap HEI to clear. It was this way when I bought the car almost 15 years ago or it wouldn't have been this way. Sorry to say, a small body HEI is your best route UNLESS you are willing to dent or relieve the firewall by 3/8-1/2".

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Wow, thanks for all your feedback team, it is most appreciated!

Regarding the firewall clearance, I have no issue with modifying the firewall to provide extra clearance. This is the least of my concerns. Also, every bit of research I have done indicates that I have the correct pan for the job. I even know of a couple of Camaros with the same engine/pan combo!

I suppose my biggest issues/concern is if I indeed have small block stands and I modify them to bring the engine forward to the same position as the big block stands, is this a viable solution? Will this create any other issues?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 10:18 PM
Banned
Bethanne

Quote:
I suppose my biggest issues/concern is if I indeed have small block stands and I modify them to bring the engine forward to the same position as the big block stands, is this a viable solution? Will this create any other issues?
Using small block stands will cause your driver's side headers to hit the power steering box (if you have power steering).

Big block stands moved the engine 1/2" toward the passenger side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode