Holley secondary 'check ball'? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Question Holley secondary 'check ball'?

On a 3310-2 (4160) secondary diaphragm assembly, the exploded view shows Ref. #111 as a housing check ball.
I pulled the diaphragm housing all apart and don't see the check ball. Do all 4160's have the ball, or is mine missing?
I bought this off a co-worker who had it on his '70 Z.

There's a couple check balls in the rebuild kit, but not one that'll fit in the housing anywhere.

I bought a "geniune Holley" renew kit and it's missing parts. The secondary housing gasket (Ref. #105) is just one of them. They shorted me 2 fuel bowl screw gaskets as well. It only has 6 plastic washers... not 8. And I thought the kit would come with a new secondary diaphragm\spring.... but no.
Go figure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 07:47 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Holley secondary 'check ball'?

Joe you'll hear guys say not to run the sec check ball but every rebuild book I have says use it. Without it the sec's open too quick and you may find yourself with a bog and switching to heavier diaphram springs. I have also heard it's a safety device that insures when you take your foot out of it the sec close properly.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Yeah... there's a couple "tricks" like that one that I've read about. They seem mostly geared towards racing.
A Ferd site said to go right ahead and chop the air horn off as well.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I have always removed the secondary diaphram ball, allows faster opening of secondaries, but its real purpose is an anti backfire valve to protect the diaphram from sudden pressure changes.

Another ball is under the accel pump, check valve and another ball under the squirter, check valve.

Another trick for faster sec opening is removing the lead at the end of the tube on pass side of body midway up pointing the rear and drill the hole to the venturi to 0.083" to allow more signal for the diaphram for secondary opening and plug it with a 10-32 setscrew and Loctite.

I type too slow.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Guess

How are you supposed to change the accel. pump check ball? Pry the bail off? Then how does it go back together? Dimple where the ends of the bail are set in?

Where's the 'squirter' check valve\ball?

*edit* Ah... the "pump discharge needle\ball weight\check ball" ?
I pulled the nozzle and needle, but ball weight and ball don't fall out. Are they stuck in there? I want to get them out before I dunk the body.

Last edited by HwyStarJoe; Apr 21st, 11 at 08:30 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 11:02 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

i am with dennis on this one--i usually leave the accel pump ball unless see a reason to replace it in which i bend tab up and push it back in place
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 03:25 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Does anyone have a diameter ???

I know it's slightly bigger than a BB.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Shouldn't be a problem dunking the body with balls as they used to be stainless steel.
Probably steel now. Never measured the balls.

Squirter screw should change to a hollow screw, Holley P/N 26-12.
Some Holley's use a rubber check valve for the accel pump.
3310-2 Renew Kit P/N 37-754, Trick Kit 37-921
P/N's from 1989 Holley catalog.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Yeah, the kit comes with the red rubber valve, but my bowl uses the ball and bail. I'm not changing the ball because the clearance is well within the specs. I'm leaving well enough alone.
I think I read somewhere about the screw being changed. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time finding this stuff locally. Hard to believe.

3310-2 Renew Kit P/N 37-754 is what I used... too bad they shorted some of the gaskets.

I can measure the ball Doug... gimme a little bit.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Guess

I can only come up with the squirter discharge needle... no ball weight or check ball. I blew the passage out in both directions and I can still see something brass down inside. The carb cleaner blew through with no restriction at all. Is that normal if the weight and check ball are still in there?
The passage is soaking in cleaner right now... hopefully something will fall out.

I forgot to mention yesterday about the secondary diaphragm passage that the check ball is supposed to be in... on the top side of the housing where the inlet is (the cover gasket has a hole for it also), the hole has a brass "plug". For lack of a better term.
It looks solid but there could be a hole as small as .005 or smaller. Can't tell. There's no way to get that plug out. Is that normal also? Nothing like that is shown in any drawing or parts break-down.
The pics I have seen show that opening on the top of the housing is OPEN with the cover off.

Is the check ball for that down inside further, that's why I can't get it yet? Could it be gunked down in the passage and stuck?

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Needle is fine. You see the brass seat it fits against.
Yes, there is a hole in the sec brass plug. Ball sits on top. No balls underneath.

once the sec diaphram is together, you can stick a vacuum pump on it and check the action both ways, with & without vacuum.

'
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Thanks Everett...
Before I initially disassembled the sec. diaphragm I tested it with the rod... it held just fine.
And I'm a big dummy... (no comments from the peanut gallery!). The brass fitting has a huge hole in it!
I must have been thinking of something else. If the ball sits on top, that would be a blast to try and put back together! Unfortunately they don't give you one in the kit.
Guess I gotta run without it.

DOUG, that accelerator check ball is 3/16"... IF the one in the kit is correct.

The other check ball in the kit must be for the squirter passage, but it must be for a different model carb.

Last edited by HwyStarJoe; Apr 22nd, 11 at 03:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode