Cam selection - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Cam selection

I have this question as part of another post over in Gen Tech. I'm sure I'll be punished accordingly for double posting , but thought maybe this is a better place for my question:

Set up: I have a plain jane crate 350, 700r4, will have Vortecs heads, 2500 stall, will have 3.73 gears, looking at the Holley 4777. I know the Vortecs have limited retainer to guide clearance, but I'm going to do the ghetto grind on the retainers to get some more room. I've read this can get me up to .540" lift safely. I'll probably get a set of Z28 valve springs.

I want a choppy idle, without it running like complete crap on the street. I might make it to the track once a year.

Finally, I'm on a crazy tight budget. So thinking Summit's line or something similarly priced.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 08:50 PM
Senior Tech
Jerod

Re: Cam selection

I got for my Vortec heads the Lunati Bracket Master II part number 00017LK. But I have a 4 speed. Thanks, Jerod
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 09:01 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Comp's Magnum 280H would work well here since you're on a thin budget. Otherwise I'd recommend a roller.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 10:54 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

in my opinion the the 280 is too much, not enough flow or compression--i would do the 268 542 voodoo cam by lunati--looks like an every day streeter with sound and gives low end torque-where it will be spending its time --get the springs to match cam and have seat and open pressure set as marked for cam -
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech
greg

Take a look at the old Crane 274H06, 218-218 @.050, .450 lift on a 106 Lsa. Basically a lift rules circle track cam. It will give you big low and mid range power and rev to 5500 with no problems. We put this cam in a friends 350 260hp crate motor with 8.5 c.r.(more like 8.0) in an 81 Vette with 4 speed and 3.73 rear and it is pretty fast and sounds bad a$$ out of his hooker sidepipes. Cam has a lope like a comp 280 but without the low speed driveablilty problems. Will give you around 14" of vacuum at 1000 rpm and 11" at 800 rpm. If you cannot find the Crane 274H06 you can get a clone from Elgin under part number E1785PM I belive from competitionproducts.com for $100 including lifters.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 07:40 PM
Banned
Bethanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwilcar View Post
Take a look at the old Crane 274H06, 218-218 @.050, .450 lift on a 106 Lsa. Basically a lift rules circle track cam. It will give you big low and mid range power and rev to 5500 with no problems. We put this cam in a friends 350 260hp crate motor with 8.5 c.r.(more like 8.0) in an 81 Vette with 4 speed and 3.73 rear and it is pretty fast and sounds bad a$$ out of his hooker sidepipes. Cam has a lope like a comp 280 but without the low speed driveablilty problems. Will give you around 14" of vacuum at 1000 rpm and 11" at 800 rpm. If you cannot find the Crane 274H06 you can get a clone from Elgin under part number E1785PM I belive from competitionproducts.com for $100 including lifters.
X2 on what Greg says. I would get beehive springs from Comp Cams for the vortec heads; they will give clearance for extra lift.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 07:48 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

http://www.competitionproducts.com/E...tinfo/E1785PM/

Chev SB
Lift: .450/.450
Adv. Duration: 274/274
Duration @ .050": 218/218
Lobe Center: 106
2000-5200, Rough idle, Low & mid-range, Good lift rule

X3

The Z28 springs will be fine with this cam.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

This Crane 274 sounds promising. Everything I'm looking for, I soudns like... Going to look for some youtube vids for sound.

Beth, the beehives are too much $ for my budget. I've got just enough scratch left for gaskets, a used intake, maybe a used double pumper, and the rear end I still need to finish. If the ole ghetto grind won't give me enough clearance, I'm SOL.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Based only on what I've read, apparently the low LSA will give me low vacuum, which apparently can lead to problems getting the power breaks to work properly?

I've got disc up front and drum in back. With a 106 LSA, am I going to find myself standing on the brakes at every stop light?

Sorry for all the questions.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 09:31 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

Are your heads in good Shape? Most likely you will need valve job and decking as a min. Talk to good machine shop and work out some deal. My machine shop charge me 300 to make them new again. That also include a set of Z28 springs. They found a set of Z28 springs that met the spec of my Lunati cam (Harolds design, best for the money). Every spring has a different measurment, by the way.

My point is do not go too cheap on your heads. You will reget it.

Nick

69 Camaro, 327, Auto, Console, Deluxe Interior, AC, Med Green, Exterior Style Trim, 3.08 rear end. Owned since 1983-1st car.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi-69 View Post
Are your heads in good Shape? Most likely you will need valve job and decking as a min. Talk to good machine shop and work out some deal. My machine shop charge me 300 to make them new again. That also include a set of Z28 springs. They found a set of Z28 springs that met the spec of my Lunati cam (Harolds design, best for the money). Every spring has a different measurment, by the way.

My point is do not go too cheap on your heads. You will reget it.

Nick
I have freshly reman'd Vortecs. Once I swap the springs, and maybe grind down the retainers depending on how much lift I go with, I think think they're in great shape. Guess I'll find out.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 10:06 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

yep i agree with gregs cam too--get r done
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 11, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech
greg

I should have added that you do not need any special spirngs with the 274 cam. At only .450" lift you do not need anything better than the $28 so called Z28 springs from competition products. Your crate motor springs will be fine unless you plan on going over 6000 rpm. The stock GM rocker arms usually spec out at under 1.5 ratio so unless the vortec heads cannot handle .450 lift your stock springs will be fine. There are no really good youtube videos of the 274 cam that I have found except the nova burnout with it but you can only hear it for a few seconds and the other nova sitting in a backlot with open headers which sound like sh**t anyway. Trust me, you will like the sound of the 274. My buddy with the Vette always has guys walking up to him at cruise nights and asking him what kind of cam (and engine) he has in it. The sound from the hooker sidepipes is music to the ears. As far as brakes are concerned, the 274 in his Vette provides plenty of vacuum to operate them. There are a few others on this forum that have run the 274 cam, 67 Plum was the one that sold me on using this cam and I now have two friends using it in their mild 350's. I would use on in my 84 Corvette but I have TBI injection so I have to stick with a cam with less overlap but I do have a 274 in my cam inventory for future use!!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 11, 04:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwilcar View Post
I should have added that you do not need any special spirngs with the 274 cam. At only .450" lift you do not need anything better than the $28 so called Z28 springs from competition products. Your crate motor springs will be fine unless you plan on going over 6000 rpm. The stock GM rocker arms usually spec out at under 1.5 ratio so unless the vortec heads cannot handle .450 lift your stock springs will be fine. There are no really good youtube videos of the 274 cam that I have found except the nova burnout with it but you can only hear it for a few seconds and the other nova sitting in a backlot with open headers which sound like sh**t anyway. Trust me, you will like the sound of the 274. My buddy with the Vette always has guys walking up to him at cruise nights and asking him what kind of cam (and engine) he has in it. The sound from the hooker sidepipes is music to the ears. As far as brakes are concerned, the 274 in his Vette provides plenty of vacuum to operate them. There are a few others on this forum that have run the 274 cam, 67 Plum was the one that sold me on using this cam and I now have two friends using it in their mild 350's. I would use on in my 84 Corvette but I have TBI injection so I have to stick with a cam with less overlap but I do have a 274 in my cam inventory for future use!!
You guys will be hearing from me on the 274H06 sooner or later too as I have one sitting on the shelf. Right now running the 272H10 with 216/216 .454/454" on 110 in the 327. Maybe swap it next winter. Greg do you know how it was installed in your friend's Vette? There is 5 degrees advance ground into the 272H10 according to the Crane tech I emailed. Not sure about the 274H06...

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 11, 07:02 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Here is your video....

Not my car but he is running the elgin e1785pm cam. Sounds great for a low performance basic bolt on motor. I will def be running this cam in my sons chevelle. I've been looking for a cam but didn't want to spend the money on a thumper cam and suffer low end performance to boot...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode