Engine shop issues still - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerod

Engine shop issues still

A week or so ago I posted about issues with my local engine shop here in Cedar Rapids IA. I called Tuesday, and after being told three times over the last 2 months that "yep we are getting on it tomarrow" this is getting old. They are a very very well know shop and do very good work but this is not very good business, as they have $2800 in parts and money to get started. I am going in person tomarrow and am going to be a completely blunt with them, if I do not see the motor on some sort of equipment, or something being done. Everybody I have talked to said it should not take more than 1.5 weeks to get it done. I know for a fact that there has been 8 motors come in after I took my parts to them that have been done and out of the shop already. If they do not have anything done to it, I will put their name on this board. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 10:18 PM
Senior Tech
alex

Re: Engine shop issues still

JEROD . I remember this post well. i believe i told you to get your 2,000 your parts and find a new shop. and i believe others said about the same . I now read your new post and the way i read it you not only gave them 2 large you also gave them 2,800 in parts. That,s 5 large in my book . What is wrong with you Jerod ?That is your hard earned money does someone have to hit you with a sledge hammer to realize this aint gonna happen .For that kind of green i would not care if it was ED PINK OR KIETH BLACK that was building the motor you are being played like a cheap fiddle ,and they are using your money and maybe your parts for somebody else. JEROD ! GO THERE WITH A TRUCK GET YOUR MONEY YOUR PARTS AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. PERIOD! IF YOU GAVE THEM CASH INSIST ON THE SAME BACK MAKE SURE THEY GIVE YOU THE RIGHT PARTS BACK ALL OF THEM.DONT WASTE ANY MORE TIME THE SPAGETTI IS GETTIN COLD.ALEX
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerod

That is what I am going to do. Thanks, Jerod

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 10:47 PM
Senior Tech
Jess

Jerod, LISTEN TO ALEX... I am going to tell you the same thing. Got get your parts and your money. The warm weather is wasting my friend... Find another machine shop. I took my car to a body shop to be painted. He kept saying, I will get to it. Then I got word he painted another muscle car. I called and he said he was really busy but would get to it. I heard he painted another muscle car. I didnt call, I went and got my car and my parts... Wasted a year... THere are plenty of machine shops in Iowa. I googled it! Go get your money and your parts. There treating you very disrespectful, and being arrogant by taking work in front of you... GO GET YOUR PARTS AND MONEY! They are bullying you in my opinion. Dont call, email, etc... Go down there and get your stuff.... Dont you dare say your sorry to them either...

Jess67
67 Camaro Blue 427, 4-speed, 12 bolt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro 350, 200-4R, PS, AC, PB, IN PARTS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 06:38 AM
Senior Tech
Hector

Jerod.. Were are you from??

68 Camaro Coup, BBC ,2457 headers, th400 , ford 9", Hotchkiss connectors,
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 06:53 AM
Senior Tech
jim

Garage

Jerod i think same builder did the same thing to a friend of mine. My friend collected his parts and took them to Maquoketa, he has a Mopar. Had it done and dynoed in 2 weeks
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 10:05 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Jerod,
Is the CR engine/machine shop located ......

If it's them, I had similar problems quite a few years back. They had a $3500 deposit on a $6500 build, with another $4000-$4500 of parts that I left for them. Walking in and telling them I'm picking up all my parts, and inferring that I would call and dispute the credit card charge (so I could get "almost" immediate refund), took care of the problem. Engine done the following week, approx. 4 business days.

If it's possible for you to do a periodic check throughout the build, I'd suggest that too from this shop. The $200 gear-drive assembly I paid for ended up being a $90 ProForm piece. I found this out when the gear drive broke 1 year into running the engine. Wrong/cheap parts, and 8 bent exhaust valves later,,, I will never set foot in the place again. Who knew I'd have to tear an engine down to verify all vendors before ever using it... would've been worth it though. Since the car wasn't on the road until about 4 years after the engine was built, I didn't even bother going in to complain. The satisfaction I've gotten over the years by telling thousand's of inquiring spectators (and his "potential" customers) at car shows has been more than enough retribution.

For whatever reason, they seem to have a "name" in the area... I've seen much better work, and prices, many other places though. I "think" the reputation is built by all the Hawkeye Downs stock car buddies, and sponsorship deals....

And, if this isn't the shop you're talking about,,,, take this into consideration if you're looking to take your stuff somewhere other than where it's at now. Good Luck.

Russ

Blown 69 RS Camaro

383 Small Block
Dyno: 578 Horse - 595 LB/Torque

Last edited by BillK; Apr 22nd, 11 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Guys .... you know the rules .......
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 03:49 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

You guys know the rules .... if it keeps up the entire thread will be toast. There are two sides to every story.

What is this BS..
In my book, If I have the evidence, documentation blah blah...I just say who what etc...
And have...even had a couple posted deleteed here over the yrs...
Hell if they want to sue....what the hell the evidence is black and white.

I would be picking up you stuff...with or without the cash....no way would I have them do the work..because as stated above...if ones heart is not in the job at hand..espec machining you will not get what u pay for and pay for it further down the line

If they screw around with your money...right it off, as above stay will them you will right it off in the long run anyway.
Got a Cell? record consevation....send polte email or letter...its all about evidence...and "he said, he did" is not hard evidence.

For now just get your stuff out, and get evidence...and for get any "I cant afford...." that is the hold he has over u.

Guy did not do the paint job as should have last rebuild...(only time I have not done it my self) jumped in the car drove it out, and told him to sue me

And yeah done the same with an engine builder yrs ago...latter joined the local hot rod club...and gess what his rep was...

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Last edited by BillK; Apr 22nd, 11 at 06:27 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 05:10 PM
Senior Tech
Hector

Had a similar situation with the body shop that did my car... Gave me a price.. Paid him a little over half and brought all my own sheet metal..said it would take about a month... For 8 month I would call every few weeks and the owner always had an excuse..And in December I finally asked what was up... Owner stated not sure when he could get to it... Went down talk to him face to face... And explained to him that if I take the car out of there to another shop I expected my money back... He then stated he would get it done...but it didn't feel right..

Needless to say the work was poor.. If you even look at the paint it flakes off...half the work he said he did he never did... Another shop tells me I need to strip the car and repaint...

So now I'm in the process of litigation with the shop... All this could have been avoided if it just had demanded my money and removed the car... In stead of forcing him to finish the work he was contracted to do...

Live and learn... As mentioned above if you get on anyone to do something they dont want to do...they will most likely half azz it...

Remember if it don't feel right it probably isn't....

68 Camaro Coup, BBC ,2457 headers, th400 , ford 9", Hotchkiss connectors,
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 05:11 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
What is this BS..
In my book, If I have the evidence, documentation blah blah...I just say who what etc...
And have...even had a couple posted deleteed here over the yrs...
Hell if they want to sue....what the hell the evidence is black and white.

Not trying to avoid the name at all. Wrong parts, still here at my house... invoices to prove it... invoices from a different shop to repair the damage done... I wouldn't hesitate at all to call them out in public.

for the record, all this was discussed in this forum about 4 years ago.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=111340

Blown 69 RS Camaro

383 Small Block
Dyno: 578 Horse - 595 LB/Torque

Last edited by BillK; Apr 22nd, 11 at 06:28 PM. Reason: No bashing ... those are the rules !!!!!!!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 05:45 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

The problem with the shop is question is they support many dirt trackers and those are steady business for them compared to your one time work, they will always be priority. This time of year, every racer is wanting their's done. If you have dropped the parts off in Oct it would be done now. That being said, I would never pay in advance for work at an engine shop. When they ask you to do that they are basicly telling you they either don't think you are good for the work, or the parts aren't going to be worth what you have in them when they are done.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 11, 12:17 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
The problem with the shop is question is they support many dirt trackers and those are steady business
yep and now the engine guy and the paint/panel shop that I had to deal with no longer exist....sort of faded away...
I have seen a lot of buninesses come and go over the decades, and a handful still around from the start....Even a couple of the old busnesss are gone..they retired sold the busines on..new owners.
End of the day..a business survives on its reputation.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 25th, 11, 05:55 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlynch71 View Post
A week or so ago I posted about issues with my local engine shop here in Cedar Rapids IA. I called Tuesday, and after being told three times over the last 2 months that "yep we are getting on it tomarrow" this is getting old. They are a very very well know shop and do very good work but this is not very good business, as they have $2800 in parts and money to get started. I am going in person tomarrow and am going to be a completely blunt with them, if I do not see the motor on some sort of equipment, or something being done. Everybody I have talked to said it should not take more than 1.5 weeks to get it done. I know for a fact that there has been 8 motors come in after I took my parts to them that have been done and out of the shop already. If they do not have anything done to it, I will put their name on this board. Thanks
which sho?. I use D and R. Man I could tell you horror stories on engine builders.

It is better to burn out than fade away
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 25th, 11, 07:42 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Get your parts and walk away, you are going to be sory if you don't. No decent shop needs money up front for machine work. That is a red flag and usually means they are barely staying in business. Probably used your money to finish someone elses engine. There are plenty of other machine shops that would love to have your business.

I repeat NEVER EVER pay for SERVICE up front, not even a little. Parts yes, service NO.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 25th, 11, 08:11 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Old issue guys, he must have reached a resolve as he's asking about to fill the radiator for his new engine.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195831

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode