Timing retards with rpm's - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 11, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
AJ

Timing retards with rpm's

I know there has been a few threads on this, I went back and searched, found a couple but not the one I remember.
This is on my buddies 355sbc race motor
The timing is locked out to around 36* or so, we just got it running
If you put a light on it, it's [email protected],200(idle) to about 1,500 or so, anymore and the timing shoots way down to 20 or so....

Here is a couple of thoughts:
The cam is a solid roller, thrust button .012" clearance (that should not be the issue...)
New button, good name brand, bronze dizzy gear
Procomp distibutor, I know pro comp is cheap it's a magnetic pickup, nothing under the cap but a pickup and some other electronic pieces, no weights etc....
Box is an older MSD 6-AL maybe a 6AL-2 I can't remember
It pulls 20* out below 800rpm if I remember right, we tried moving the wires around to the different cylinders, works best on 1.

I'm thinking it's the box pulling timing if possible.
Our friend thinks it's a combination of cam walk and a no-name distributor.

I can't remember the thread but I know it said something about the box possibly pulling timing due to it being wired wrong or old... Is this possible?

Cam walk can pull a degree or so out, which can be okay, but I doubt this thing has so much walk it can pull 10* out....
Many locked out roller motors use this setup fine, so it shouldn't be that it's not using a crank trigger.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang

Last edited by ace's68; Apr 24th, 11 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 11, 10:06 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Re: Timing retards with rpm's

Make sure the magnetic pickup wires are not right next to other wires, separate them and see if that helps.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 11, 11:28 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

something dont sound right here-i run a pro comp w msd 6al--mine has the weights and pick up--i locked the weights out by moving the shaft in dist 180---but it sounds like if yours came without weights that its built to work with crank trigger or something along that line-your right -.012 on cam button is alittle far but it would only cut back a degree or 2

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 11, 12:12 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Need to find out exactly what box it is. The 6AL uses the little plug in pills for the rev limiter and the 6AL-2 has dials and a two step limiter. Neither will retard timing without an add-on box, only the digital models or programmable models will. For the retards to even activate the trigger wires for them have to have 12V. How high did you rev the engine while checking timing?

The rev limiters act by dropping spark to certain cylinders. If the limiter is kicking in and your light is hooked up to one that is dropping spark it might show up on the timing light but really shouldn't since when it does fire it should light up on your locked timing.

It helps to twist/braid your trigger wires together and run them along a good ground plane like the firewall.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; Apr 25th, 11 at 12:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode