Carb soaking intake question... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 11, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Carb soaking intake question...

This is NOT a Camaro... it's a buddies unnamed non-GM.

He's got a small block with an OLD Edelbrock intake and a new Holley 80457-5 carb. He's been getting fuel on the intake... a lot of fuel. So I stopped over tonight to take a look and that carb has factory-set floats, non-adjustable. So I poked around and noticed his accelerator pump is more than halfway engaged with the engine OFF!

I adjusted it properly and started it to make sure everything was OK, but we couldn't drive it due to the torrential downpours.
Do you think having the accelerator pump already engaged to the point that it would be if the car was driving at cruise or passing has anything to do with the excess fuel, or somehow puddle on the intake?

The diaphragm might be damaged now because it looks wet. Time will tell.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 11, 07:20 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Re: Carb soaking intake question...

Accelator pump should not be engaged at idle postion. Never heard of a carb that has non-adjustable floats.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 11, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Yep... "Next Gen" carb according to Holley.

http://www.holley.com/0-80457S.asp

I know the pump shouldn't be engaged at all... just wondered if that's the cause of the excess fuel everywhere. It would make sense.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 11, 08:23 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

If you look at the base gasket you should be able to tell if the leak is between the carb and manifold.

Old carb's can leak at the throttle shafts but I wouldn't expect it from a new carb. Make sure the bowls are bolted tight, it could be leaking at the bowl gasket or the fuel tube that feeds the sec bowl. Also check the accl pump cover to see the screws are tight there.

It could even be the fuel inlet or fuel line connection leaking and dripping.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 11, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Yeah, it could be a lot of things. I was in a hurry and it was getting cold out, plus we weren't dressed for messing around in an engine bay last night.

He's been known to just tweak this and tweak that without knowing what he's doing (as evidenced by the seriously mal-adjusted accel. pump!). He sets his idle by turning the distributor!! He has this weird aversion to reading instructions.

I'm gonna pop it off there this weekend and go through it for him.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 11, 02:22 PM
Senior Tech

If the accel pump was half engaged at idle, there's a good chance the diaphragm is shot. With the throttle wide open you should still have some travel left on the pump arm. If it bottoms out a few times it usually tears the diaphragm.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Guess

That's what I told him too.
He's put his foot in it a bunch of times, so I know the diaphragm has been over-stressed.
I forwarded him the parts list for his carb... I think he's gonna need to do some ordering.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 08:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Never heard of a carb that has non-adjustable floats.
Reading the info Holley has it says that they eliminated the need for an EXTERNAL float adjustment. So they just found a way to build the carb a little cheaper. It's still adjustable I'm sure.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 11, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Well... got him back smoking the tires again.
And I didn't even need to take the carb off. Set his idles, fixed a vacuum leak, readjusted the accel. pump again and he has a renewed excitement for driving.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 11, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good job, Joe.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 11, 02:34 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Well... got him back smoking the tires again.
And I didn't even need to take the carb off. Set his idles, fixed a vacuum leak, readjusted the accel. pump again and he has a renewed excitement for driving.
Good stuff...but this worries me....
Quote:
He's been known to just tweak this and tweak that without knowing what he's doing (as evidenced by the seriously mal-adjusted accel. pump!). He sets his idle by turning the distributor!! He has this weird aversion to reading instructions

This is what we Kiwis call a tutu a...they tutu with stuff they know nothing about..but think they do...we get it right for them and they tutu again..just cant resist.
The worst is , eventually something breaks and they blame everyone else .....

Set up once..if he screws around with it..walk away..it will be more trouble to you than its worth....words of experiance and decades.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 11, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Guess

LOL!! Tutu...

I can't just walk away. It pains me to see it run like crap, even if it is a Mercury. But what does worry me is the fact he is nearing the end of an engine build himself... all the way from the crank up. Going by what the machinist relayed to him.
I'm almost afraid to be there when he drops it in.

One thing I'm going to MAKE SURE of is that he puts the timing tab on (or whatever Clevelands use)!! He's been tuning without one for 3 years now.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 11, 02:54 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I can't just walk away. It pains me to see it run like crap,
Harden up m8..these ppl dont learn because ppl dont walk away..
yep be their during setup to fire, but hey If that timing is over advanced or mixture suspected of being lean, walk out before the tapping starts a couple mintues after fire and suck a kumura.
you will get the blame/ bad mouthing for it m8
And in my books since u are not doing him any favours by not hardening up...u get what u desserve to

Sry...Im a grumpy hand nose old school guy lol...1st one to help, but dont hang around when that help is refused and see things turning to custard.

Quote:
LOL!! Tutu...
Kiwi slang m8.. yu like it lol

tutu is a plant that if u dont listen to the advice of your parents, and u are a whitr man you will get very sick, delious and may die....for some reason the native maori is not effected to the same degree

Custard..well thats eggs mixed up and all yucky...but u guys have only ever hand synthetic powered custard.
A kumura..sort of like a sweet potato..purple, bloody nice...never figure out the "suck a kumura" but has a good ring to it right?

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode