1200 for a 454 30 over too much - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kelly

1200 for a 454 30 over too much

looking ar buying a 454 that has just been machined for 1200.00 is this too much?
option #1 it has been shot peened, bored, honed 30 over, line honed mains, freeze plugs, cam bearings. done by a reputable machine shop.
i figure standard bore 454 would be 400-500.00 in good shape if you can find standard bore. then all that machine work making it 30 over would cost 700.00 right?

option #2
buy a 454 bored 40 over for 600.00 bored, decked, it is not line honed or shot peened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 12:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: 1200 for a 454 30 over too much

1st - I would bet that "Shot Peened" is really 'Shot Cleaned'
They aren't focusing the peening on the stress areas of the block to releave it - they are bombarding it with shot to clean and de-grease it ...
Don't confuse it for making the block any stronger or better than a non-peened block in this case

Those costs seems in line for a preped BBC block with no core.
But ... what are your plans for this engine?
What are the goals for the build - Torque, HP, Induction, RPM range(s), trans type, comeptition or strickly street use ... ???
Those questions answered would make up my mind on what level of prep I would recommend for a given build.

For a typical street-performance mild HP range engine, I don't see the value of doing lots of re-machining of the factory spec. work.
A slight 'line-hone' to true the unit is fine in most cases, but anything more is not warranted for most mild builds and actually, in my experience, tends to induce as many if not more issues than leaving it the way it was ...
If the block really needs this much work, find another block

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 12:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

Re: 1200 for a 454 30 over too much

Kelly,

Like John said, it depends on what your expectations/plans are for the engine. What heads will you use? What compression are you looking for?

For a normal street/strip build I would go with option 2. Probably a better deal - IF you can find pistons that are 0.040 over and will work with the combination you are looking to build. As long as they checked the block and it does not need to be line honed you should be fine.

Typically a block only need to be line honed if there was a problem previously or if the main caps are not original to that block.

In this area, should be able to find a good core block and crank for $250-400.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kelly

lookingtobuild 600-650 hp pump gas 496.
vintage 68 you are correct shot cleaned.
not alot of options for 40 over pistons. thats why i was leaning toward the 30 over.
would it be worth it to buy the 40 over and ask then to bore and hone it 60 over for same price?
whats chances of the 60 over over heating vs the 30.
how much more is a 30 over block worth and a 60 over?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 12:15 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

A good core will cost $200 to upwards of $500.
Every block I've ran in to, especially sbc 400's are at least a grand after machining.
Just having the block honed, bored, line honed is over $600.00 here, add freeze plugs cam bearings etc... I'd say it's a pretty fair deal, he is either making $200 off of it, or getting back what he paid, maybe not.
A balance job at a good machine shop for me is around $600 and blueprinting is another $600 if I remember correctly, if it looks good, I'd go for it. Even the Aftermarket blocks of the same cost really still do need machine work.
BBC's have a lot of meat in the bores compared to the sbc's, totally different bore spacing, it's not uncommon to take a block .100 over these days, especially the 396's, that is if my memory severs me right. Please chime in if I'm wrong guys...

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 12:26 AM
Senior Tech
darrell

couple things to keep in mind--a 496 is a .060 bore--usually you dont bore and hone a block without the pistons present-each slug fits a hole in a professional build-and they are set up for purpose--different clearances for street motor, drag motor, or nos motor--if i had to choose betwwen the 2-i would go neither unless opt 1 has pistons already matched--i would find a old 454 -find the rotaing assy u want and take the pistons and block to machine shop and tell them what your using it for and giv u the works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode